Pacific Quay Musings?

Stevie Thompson and Neil McCann apart, their collective pain is strangely invigorating.

What with Carson’s, Donohoe’s and English’s input, their collective output is about as objective as being strapped to an armchair and forced to watch an episode of that other byproduct of the emerald isle, Mrs Brown’s boys is funny.

Just about as funny as a dose and objective as Pravda in equal measure.

Sometimes it's the small things that reveal most. BBC Scotland's coverage of Celtic's drubbing at home from RM introduced us to the new stock phrase when their team is losing ... "Celtic is a club going in the right direction". This strange mantra was repeated verbatim by at least 4 commentators on TV and online in what is clearly a rehearsed and coordinated use of select language to assuage the faithful in times of trouble.

"fine lines"?

I remain on the ile d'Oleron and tuned into BBC Radio Scotland for coverage of last night's opening Champions League fixture between ra Sellik and Real Madrid at ra Stade de Gadd. It was Big Dick hosting, another Dandy, Liam McLeod doing the live commentary; Tom English, Pat Bonner and, Michael Stewart doing the summaries. Chris McLaughlin did the pre-recorded background interviews(Chris along with his sister, Connie were in their usual comfy heated green leather seats in the north stand during the game).

Big Dick and Liam really are the Dandy Dons Duo, a warm up act suitable to all salivating Yahoos. Big Dick eulogised the ground and atmosphere; Liam lionised the Green Brigade and the anthem, 'You'll never walk alone', "look at all those visiting Spanish Journalists recording the noise on their phones". The flashing disco lights, a nicked song about suicide and, choreography from the Village People; all done to the echo of the Green Brigade's Thompson gun.

Big Dick began, "the strains of the Champions League music begin, not heard in this country for four years"? Oh, that would be Handel's Zadok the Priest, last played at Ibrox a fortnight past when PSV visited. Big Dick continued, "the last time Real Madrid were in Glasgow was forty-two years ago". Wrong again, they were at Ibrox last season losing 2-1, Sakala scoring the winner. Big Dick concluded the last time real lost a Euro final was 1983, to Aberdeen? If it does NOT involve Sellik or Aberdeen it did NOT happen.

At half time and the teams tied at nil-nil, Big Dick congratulated ra Sellik ball boys on their uber quick re-circulation of the ball, "Real have been caught out twice by the rapid recirculation, I would like to have seen Celtic score". Big Dick qualifies that line by telling a whopper, "I say that because I want all Scottish clubs to do well in Europe". Tom English was ducking and diving in an attempt to avoid Big Dick's growing nose but, managed to squeal, "Ange will accuse me of being a sycophant however, his calmness, matter of fact delivery prematch has struck the right note in the team, Celtic are all over them". I hope the Producer bundled Big Dick and Tom into a room to allow both to compare their swelling glands?

The last laugh is left to the man with the biggest ego, Michael Stewart. As Bill has stated above, ra Sellik PRO provides - suggests lines to enhance - ameliorate situations. The game has finished Sellik 0 Real Madrid 3 and former Sellik TV Presenter, Michael Stewart begins, "Fine lines, it was a game of fine lines". Michael suggests no one would argue if the game had finished 1-0 to ra Sellik or 4 or 5-0 to Madrid, "if you understand how a game is played and concludes on those fine lines". 

Michael took the listening public on a journey, "we have been here before, Celtic lost to Bobo Glimt in late February and, that was the wrong way to lose". It was Oswold Mosely-esque of Michael to provide the light to show the way of hooped futures, "those fine lines meant Celtic lost tonight but, they lost in the correct way". Michael halted, no doubt he self preened(does PQ provide a Fluffer) and concluded, "Celtic are moving in the right direction".

6 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Tom English was ducking and diving in an attempt to avoid Big Dick's growing nose but, managed to squeal, "Ange will accuse me of being a sycophant however, his calmness, matter of fact delivery prematch has struck the right note in the team, Celtic are all over them". I hope the Producer bundled Big Dick and Tom into a room to allow both to compare their swelling glands?

🤣🤣🤣 Absolute classic @26th of foot!!

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

BBC Radio Scotland commentator, Liam McLeod admitted interruption of the silence then added, "it is impossible to say which part of the ground the interruption to the minutes silence came from". Disinformation in 18 words.

And the Sportscene presenter couldn't even bring himself to say the name of the club whose fans who sang through the minute's silence in Paisley.

I think Rangers should revert to non-communication with BBC, until they decide to at least attempt a bit of impartiality.