Pacific Quay Musings?

2 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I heard this too and I have to say I was more than a little surprised at the way he spoke about them.  Having said that, he does a decent job of trying not to show his allegiances.  Last night however, I would suggest he looked quite amused at them going out, so maybe this was his way of recovering the situation and overcompensating from his obvious bias last night.

He does it on a daily basis though. It's quite strange tbh.

42 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Sorry to go off piste but I have a wee question that relates to Rangers and the Media (I don't think it merits a new thread tbh). Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Jim White? (ex-STV, now Sky). I started listening to his morning show on Talk Sport and in between Jim delivering his tabloid sensationalist drivel, I noticed that Jim goes out of his way to talk up Celtic in the most sycophantic way possible. It's getting to the stage that it is utterly cringeworthy. We all know Jim had leanings towards Rangers back in the day and he often mentions going to his first game at Ibrox but I just wondered if something had happened between Rangers/Rangers fans and Jim? Or is he just over compensating when it comes to Celtic? It really is beyond embarrassing the levels White talks Celtic up. Has anyone heard it?

Yes it’s not the first time. Brazil was saying this morning they have a box at the piggery for the old firm game. Danny Kelly (you know by the name) is another who continually talks them up and us down. Hawksby and Jacobs are mates with Rod the Voddy so are always at it too. They have a few Irish presenters on a Sunday who show their green and white colours also.

I actually think TalkSPORT are another station with a culture of sycophantic mhank presenters. Sky has a base in in Dublin and their very sympathetic to their Irish brothers in their news coverage too.

Edited by cooponthewing

12 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Yes it’s not the first time. Brazil was saying thus morning they have s box at the piggery for the old firm game. Danny Kelly (you know by the name) is another who continually talks them up and us down. Hawksby and Jacobs are mates with Rod the Voddy so are always at it too. They have a few Irish presenters on a Sunday who show their green and white colours also.

I actually think TalkSPORT are another station with a culture of sycophantic mhank presenters. Sky has a base in in Dublin and their very sympathetic to their Irish brothers in their news coverage too.

Mmm..not too sure coop. Hawksby and Jacobs are great broadcasters in my opinion and are pretty even in their coverag.  I would say the same about Danny Kelly. Despite his Irish ancestry I would say that he is pretty balanced and one of the best broadcasters on the radio (My Sporting Life, TransEurope Express etc.). We need to get away from this "the Irish name gives it away" culture. Let's remember that outwith their Donegal stronghold most people in Ireland have no time for Celtic and follow the big English teams.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

17 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Mmm..not too sure coop. Hawksby and Jacobs are great broadcasters in my opinion and are pretty even in their coverag.  I would say the same about Danny Kelly. Despite his Irish ancestry I would say that he is pretty balanced and one of the best broadcasters on the radio (My Sporting Life, TransEurope Express etc.). We need to get away from this "the Irish name gives it away" culture. Let's remember that outwith their Donegal stronghold most people in Ireland have no time for Celtic and follow the big English teams.

Can’t agree with you on that. Kelly has Andy Walker on frequently to spout his drivel (certainly recently). You mention they are all good broadcasters, I didn’t say they were not?

Being good broadcasters does not exclude them from favouring our rivals, for one reason or another.

Edited by cooponthewing

6 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Can’t agree with you on that. Kelly has Andy Walker on frequently to spout his drivel (certainly recently). You mention they are all good broadcasters, I didn’t say they were not?

Being good broadcasters does not exclude them from favouring our rivals, for one reason or another.

You suggested they were not impartial tbh and IMO that would make them bad broadcasters. As I said, I think they are pretty even handed on all things Old Firm. Tom Miller from Rangers TV is a regular on the H&J show for example. 

With regards to Alan Brazil, his contacts have a box at Celtic Park not Talk Sport themselves. Even then I would say that Brazil was pretty even handed when everybody was queuing up to kick us a few years ago. He talks all the time about the need for Rangers to be back in a position of strength

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Sorry to go off piste but I have a wee question that relates to Rangers and the Media (I don't think it merits a new thread tbh). Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Jim White? (ex-STV, now Sky). I started listening to his morning show on Talk Sport and in between Jim delivering his tabloid sensationalist drivel, I noticed that Jim goes out of his way to talk up Celtic in the most sycophantic way possible. It's getting to the stage that it is utterly cringeworthy. We all know Jim had leanings towards Rangers back in the day and he often mentions going to his first game at Ibrox but I just wondered if something had happened between Rangers/Rangers fans and Jim? Or is he just over compensating when it comes to Celtic? It really is beyond embarrassing the levels White talks Celtic up. Has anyone heard it?

Has it ever been considered that he is being paid to be kind to Celtic?

4 hours ago, DMAA said:

Too subtle because he is banned from press conferences and that’s enough. 

he isn't banned from Ibrox.  If that isn't what you mean then you should perhaps be more specific.  His press privileges have been removed, but he isn't banned.  BBC could have sent a different reporter and journalistic freedom remains, simple.  They decided, however, to attempt to take some kind of faux moral high ground on the basis of these journalistic freedoms.... whilst conveniently forgetting that the catalyst of the issue was McLaughlin's bias (working for a supposedly impartial employer) and with what amounted to lies about the Rangers support.

6 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

At the culmination of season'97-98, ra Sellik stopped Rangers attempt at ten-in-a-row. Vim Jansen's men triumphed at home in the last fixture against St Johnstone. Jim White was working the game for STV/Radio Clyde. He left the ground ninety minutes after the game ended. He drove from the car park, down Kerrydale Street and gave way at London Road. His car was surrounded by Yahoos, they rocked the car, forced opened his driver's door, dragged him out and assaulted him. He was given medical emergency on scene treatment, taken to A and E by ambulance, and detained for two nights due to concussion caused by several blows to the head.

The Police discontinued investigation into the communal assault due to a lack of forth coming evidence, very few witnesses, no one identified.

Maybe, Jim has reasons to be wanting to be seen to bend over backwards towards ra Sellik?