Pacific Quay Musings?

7 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

This issue of attracting and retaining younger bears is one I've mentioned many times before on here.  The thing that makes the biggest difference is a winning team.  This will attract more youngsters than anything else.  The next thing they need is an idol.  What's great is that the younger ones are now taking about Morelos, Coulibaly, Kent and Goldson.  They want to be able to identify with key players.

On the issue of exposure in the BBC, I can tell you that this is just NOT important at all for younger fans or potential fans.  Almost no youngsters would ever think of listening to the radio.  Even fewer wouldn't think about going to a BBC app.  They live a breathe social media now and almost all of their interactions begin with a notification on twitter, Facebook, or similar.

Bang on the money

(what's wrong with you ?)

14 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

On the issue of exposure in the BBC, I can tell you that this is just NOT important at all for younger fans or potential fans

As I've said I think it is important indirectly though through the engagement of parents. The more engaged the parents are with the club the more they'll push their kids in the same direction by purchasing kits, magazines etc.

Edited by DMAA

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

As I've said I think it is important indirectly through the engagement of parents. The more engaged the parents are with the club the more they'll push their kids in the same direction by purchasing kits, magazines etc.

Parents? I'm in my 60's and even I never listen to the radio or buy a newspaper. I get my sports coverage online and I buy any merchandise online. The idea that there's a huge support out there that needs outmoded outlets like the BBC is a fallacy. The world moves on and does so faster every day. We need to be addressing the future, not dragging ourselves back into the past.

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

Parents? I'm in my 60's and even I never listen to the radio or buy a newspaper. I get my sports coverage online and I buy any merchandise online. The idea that there's a huge support out there that needs outmoded outlets like the BBC is a fallacy. The world moves on and does so faster every day. We need to be addressing the future, not dragging ourselves back into the past.

I'm a parent in my 20s and I listen to the radio all the time because I'm on the go all the time. I don't have time to stop and look at my phone for any length of time. I'm listening to radio coverage of football whether I'm mowing the lawn, washing the car, driving here and there in the car or whatever. Newspaper has had it's day but radio is not going anywhere and unfortunately the BBC have a monopoly.

Just now, DMAA said:

I'm a parent in my 20s and I listen to the radio all the time because I'm on the go all the time. I don't have time to stop and look at my phone for any length of time. I'm listening to radio coverage of football whether I'm mowing the lawn, washing the car, driving here and there in the car or whatever. Newspaper has had it's day but radio is not going anywhere and unfortunately the BBC have a monopoly.

Then perhaps RTV needs an audio outlet.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Then perhaps RTV needs an audio outlet.

100%. All they'd need is an audio only option. I'll quickly run out of data if I'm streaming video when I'm out and about.

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

100%. All they'd need is an audio only option. I'll quickly run out of data if I'm streaming video when I'm out and about.

The streaming point is a good one. This would be an easy solution, so long as it's technically feasible, which almost everything is if you want it enough. It might also be a nice kick in the nads to the Sportsound crew.

1 hour ago, Rick Roberts said:

Totally agree. Clubs positions needs clarified.

Slightly off track but i was thinking about this recently. The whole Craig Whyte saga involved...

Chris McLaughlin, celtic fan, mouthpiece for celtic. BBC reporter, position not unrelated for work he does for celtic.

Got given goodies by RTC and was chosen to run their stories, RTC - Known haters with a sole agenda to damage RFC (with hindsight anyway).

Was allowed to run with story for years. Speculate/slander etc...

Imagine a world where the opposite was true. It simply wouldn't happen. Chris Jack, reading Vanguard Bears investigative work on celtic issues, on the evening news. Then discussing it for hours with other Rangers fans. That's effectively what BBC Scotland gave us. 

As a journalist, McLaughlin has every right to find sources who will give him 'information' on whatever story and this can often become 'one-sided' if that information is coming from one side. At this point, the 'other side' has to find a way of getting their side of the story out there, if it's a public war, eg. competing for support/custom of a certain group of people. 

IMO the problem with McLaughlin and some others was that they went beyond simple facts and pushed a slant / an agenda via the most listened to radio station in Scotland. As well as being used to spread bullshit (on occasion they may not have known it was BS at the time).

At the beginning of the week that saw our AGM in 2013, Alasdair Lamont was used by Jack Irvine to not only inform Sportsound listeners that the results of the various resolutions were already counted and  essentially decided BUT had the front to put forward that it would effectively be a waste of time for 'protestors' against the then board to attend the AGM. The whole point of the Mediahouse leak to Lamont/BBC Scotland had been to dampen growing disquiet and anger that was heading towards a public embarrasment for the then board at the AGM........and Lamont (said to be a Rangers fan) at primetime on the most listened to station in the country, duly delivered.

As for disinformation, in the summer of 2012, McLaughlin delivered a BS story on Arif Naqvi but the that is something that would need a thread on it's own.

--------------

The unplatable truth is that the Celtic-minded have been more organised, better positioned, much more unified and way more effective at the dark arts than we have. They've also had material to work that we (eg. Sir Duped, etc.)  have sometimes presented them with and they look to maximise damage on us (eg. RTC, etc).

However, bottomline, BBC Scotland have been allowed to overstep the mark (and continue to do so).

Edited by buster.

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

As a journalist, McLaughlin has every right to find sources who will give him 'information' on whatever story and this can often become 'one-sided' if that information is coming from one side. At this point, the 'other side' has to find a way of getting their side of the story out there, if it's a public war, eg. competing for support/custom of a certain group of people. 

IMO the problem with McLaughlin and some others was that they went beyond simple facts and pushed a slant / an agenda via the most listened to radio station in Scotland. As well as being used to spread bullshit (on occasion they may not have known it was BS at the time).

At the beginning of the week that saw our AGM in 2013, Alasdair Lamont was used by Jack Irvine to not only inform Sportsound listeners that the results of the various resolutions were already counted and  essentially decided BUT had the front to put forward that it would effectively be a waste of time for 'protestors' against the then board to attend the AGM. The whole point of the Mediahouse leak to Lamont/BBC Scotland had been to dampen growing disquiet and anger that was heading towards a public embarrasment for the then board at the AGM........and Lamont (said to be a Rangers fan) at primetime on the most listened to station in the country, duly delivered.

As for disinformation, in the summer of 2012, McLaughlin delivered a BS story on Arif Naqvi but the that is something that would need a thread on it's own.

--------------

The unplatable truth is that the Celtic-minded have been more organised, better positioned, much more unified and way more effective at the dark arts than we have. They've also had material to work that we (eg. Sir Duped, etc.)  have sometimes presented them with and look to maximise damage on us (e. RTC, etc).

However, bottomline, BBC Scotland have been allowed to overstep the mark (and continue to do so).

There's a good point. Whoever gets the "news" out there first, by default owns the audience. Pretty hard to turn that around.

It probably also won over the bulk of BBC staff too ,as they'd buy into and peddle/protect "their" news (tho prehaps didnt require much persuading) .

Probably helps explain why they were so keen to push guilt and punishment, as the public are then conditioned to expect that. Likewise, why they omit celtic from certain discussions and news stories. 

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

The streaming point is a good one. This would be an easy solution, so long as it's technically feasible, which almost everything is if you want it enough. It might also be a nice kick in the nads to the Sportsound crew.

Couldn’t agree more. We need to be self sufficient with our promoting and coverage. I do not want to surrender or mend bridges that we did not burn. When this war is over, and it will b one day, I want to show the world what they have been up to. Then let the perpetrators acknowledge the consequences.

Edited by cooponthewing