Pacific Quay Musings?

6 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

There may have been Union factors in the background but I can categorically state the primary reason was due to ‘press freedom’. Sorry for ITK stuff but I really do know in this case. So you have an organisation publically funded not serving the people who pay for it because they cannot find another reporter despite their vast resources. Any sensible rational organisation would have found a way round this especially considering the clear bias from this reporter, but not BBC Scotland. It is entirely possible that CM stuck his heels in which shows that the management was weak or he is an intransigent person who does not understand that if you are going to accuse Rangers of sectarianism then you cannot avoid reporting in Celtic fans singing about the Irish terrorists who murdered innocent people. 

Rangers should absolutely not give in on this but perhaps need to be more open about the causes and more persistent in questioning the BBC. Or perhaps as I would prefer we go round them, develop our club our digital media and focus on winning matches. The battle with BBC Scotland is not going to reap any substantial benefits. 

Well said. We have so many more achievable ambitions than wasting the and energy on an issue that wasn't of our making and where the other party isn't in the least interested in anything but continuing the fight. What I would like to see is the club make a lot more noise about the discriminatory conduct of the BBC. By all means take them on but don't negotiate an issue that is theirs alone to solve.

5 hours ago, Bluedell said:

But it's not a family. It's a publicly funded organisation that should have the public's best interests at heart. It is punishing those who fund it.

Also to go back to your analogy, if the venue had specific and reasonable reasons for the banning, I'd not necessarily boycott a bar if they banned my son for under-age drinking, for example.

I would be a regular in any pub that banned my wife.?

18 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I disagree. Alan Green, one of the BBC's senior football commentators and interviewers was banned by both Alex Ferguson and Sam Allerdyce whilst they were managers. The BBC didn't stop covering Man Utd and Bolton though, they simply sent someone else. Indeed Ferguson and Harry Redknapp banned the BBC completely, but they still covered matches on radio  and TV involving Man Utd and whatever sides Redknapp was managing at the time. 

People in BBC Scotland Sport take themselves very seriously. They forget that they're not covering world affairs, holding national leaders to account or uncovering great injustices in society. They're trying to find out who'll be playing left back this weekend and did the referee make a mistake for their second goal. I get freedom of the press and all that but let's not pretend we're dealing with Woodward and Bernstein here.  

I think Rangers are being intransigent too, but there's an arrogance at Pacific Quay over this that needs addressing. 

This is absolutely correct. When Fergie banned Alan Green the BBC in England saw the wider need to continue coverage of what was the most well supported club in the country. They rationalised that they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they adopted some high horse attitude and let Alan Green's spat get in the way of the interests of their audience. They just sent another journalist, the world moved on, the listeners got the Man United coverage they wanted and both Fergie and Green could claim some kind of moral victory. Sadly BBC Scotland are not as smart - but they are lot more vindictive.

Rangers took away an individual's credentials not the whole organisation. Just as Man United did. BBC Scotland have chosen to take some faux moral high ground over this and claim "journalistic freedom" is being violated. It's not. If the BBC want a story, just send a real journalist not someone from the fake news department.

Absolutely correct, BBC Scotland is a rather bizarre arm of the Auntie.

The coverage of English football really gets on my tits, I was in the car coming back down the A77 one evening a few weeks back, and their only sports story was that Willian was to stay with Chelsea. What the actual fuck does that have to do with Scotland? If I want to know that, I can listen to the national news, there was loads of sport going on north of the border, never mind some bloody Brazilian playing in another country's league.

Happens all the time as well.

I hadn't read the previous page with John's comments re Bob and Carl. But the editorial stance taken by PQ over McLaughlin conjured up images of that era.

As has been mentioned previously, the BBC are failing the licence payer by the standards of their charter.

On one hand it is petty, small-minded, parochial nonsense. But on the other, it shines a light on the political machinations that occur in opaque areas of UK government. And let's not kid on that the BBC is anything other than an adjunct of it.

20 hours ago, DMAA said:

Rangers know that this was inevitable though because press freedom is seen as a fundamental right for journalists. Any news organisation in the world would respond the same way if you banned one of their journalists because they see it as an attack on press freedom. Companies (including clubs) will never be allowed to decide which journalists can and can't attend their press conferences in western countries where freedom of the press is enshrined.

McLaughlin wasn't banned.  A substantial, though subtle, correction.

Sorry to go off piste but I have a wee question that relates to Rangers and the Media (I don't think it merits a new thread tbh). Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Jim White? (ex-STV, now Sky). I started listening to his morning show on Talk Sport and in between Jim delivering his tabloid sensationalist drivel, I noticed that Jim goes out of his way to talk up Celtic in the most sycophantic way possible. It's getting to the stage that it is utterly cringeworthy. We all know Jim had leanings towards Rangers back in the day and he often mentions going to his first game at Ibrox but I just wondered if something had happened between Rangers/Rangers fans and Jim? Or is he just over compensating when it comes to Celtic? It really is beyond embarrassing the levels White talks Celtic up. Has anyone heard it?

27 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Sorry to go off piste but I have a wee question that relates to Rangers and the Media (I don't think it merits a new thread tbh). Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Jim White? (ex-STV, now Sky). I started listening to his morning show on Talk Sport and in between Jim delivering his tabloid sensationalist drivel, I noticed that Jim goes out of his way to talk up Celtic in the most sycophantic way possible. It's getting to the stage that it is utterly cringeworthy. We all know Jim had leanings towards Rangers back in the day and he often mentions going to his first game at Ibrox but I just wondered if something had happened between Rangers/Rangers fans and Jim? Or is he just over compensating when it comes to Celtic? It really is beyond embarrassing the levels White talks Celtic up. Has anyone heard it?

I heard this too and I have to say I was more than a little surprised at the way he spoke about them.  Having said that, he does a decent job of trying not to show his allegiances.  Last night however, I would suggest he looked quite amused at them going out, so maybe this was his way of recovering the situation and overcompensating from his obvious bias last night.