[FT] Ross County 1 - 2 Rangers (Candeias 21; Cummings 83)

4 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Murty's post match interview on Sky was interesting. He notes (ad did JC when interviewed) that Cummings is not up to 90 minutes yet, but Murty is looking forward to seeing them play together, saying it was exciting (or words to that effect) and he thinks they will work well together.

What does that say about our system that Murty's intention is to play twin strikers? 3 at the back, or lighter in midfield?

I think the 4 at the back will stay because Tavernier and John have done well. The diamond is a possibility but that doesn't really work very well with the players we have. 4-2-3-1 allows Murphy in particular more freedom to attack and get some goals.

3-5-2 would work best, with Morelos, Windass or Cummings sitting behind the main striker and at the head of the diamond.  

Martin Bates Alves

Tav                        John

McCrorie

Dorrans/Goss  Jack/Murphy

Cummings

Morelos 

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

I'd imagine he'll switch between a 4-2-3-1 and the diamond we used before the winter break.

I agree Frankie that he'll be most likely to adopt these or variations of them.  To maintain consistency, we have to play 4 at the back so I don't see that changing very often.  The 4-2-3-1 can naturally change to a 4-3-3 and that would allow us to have a solid midfield, while benefitting from the wide men we have.  If he wants to play Morelos and Cummings together, he could also do that as part of a front three (including either Murphy, Windass or Candeias).  At least we have options now to play up front and in midfield.

I hope Murty uses games against the weaker teams to develop Barjonas and Docherty, as well as others on the fringes.  It's always frustrated me to see a first eleven out on the park when playing teams like Fraserburgh.  If your manager doesn't trust you to play in those games, what does that say about the younger players, and what message do they take from that?  Surely we have enough quality now to take some calculated risks.

Finally, I hope that with Murphy in the team now, we could see him develop a partnership with John in the same way Tav has with Candeias.  Imagine how much trouble we can cause for our opponents with that threat down both flanks.

Agree Gaffer.

I think yesterday we seen the same threat down our left in the first half but Murphy perhaps tired a bit in the second period - not to mention he had to work harder defensively as County (and Dair) pushed forward more.

We're much less predictable than before (or should be anyway) and that should help us in games where teams are more inclined to sit in.

Keeping with a 4-2-3-1, could Cummings possibly swap in for Windass in that behind-the-striker role? I think he'd be more dangerous than Windass there, better at long shots and as a natural striker would get into better positions. 

11 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

3-5-2 would work best, with Morelos, Windass or Cummings sitting behind the main striker and at the head of the diamond.  

Martin Bates Alves

Tav                        John

McCrorie

Dorrans/Goss  Jack/Murphy

Cummings

Morelos 

Jack won't be back this season and Goss will be gone next season.

7 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

A great gesture and no doubt created a life-long fan.The delight in the kid's face is magical.:merlin2:

Funny enough after the feynoord game a young fan came next to me at the front with a piece of carton with Stephan Berghuis can I have your shirt written on it. Berghuis jogged across and threw it to him. The wee guy and his family were over the moon and spent about 5 minutes taking photo's.