Do you think he should get a new contract? his expires at the end of this season!.

I think he deserves a new contract, unless of course the club have lined up someone much better? but I think the guy is a good defender and has proved that any time he has played, in fact I would even say he has been our best CB this season! he hasn't had a poor game whenever he has played.

His distribution is not so great but that can improve. He is at his best when we are under pressure where he just does what he is good at, defending.

Agreed.   Games like last night on a tight, soft and bobbly pitch, showed how exposed his distribution can look.   Its definitely something that can be improved but probably never going to be his strong suit.

Of course!

He's a solid defender, loves heading the ball and clearing his lines. His distribution is abysmal, but that's nothing we didn't know already; he can always get better but I doubt he'll ever be good.

You need defenders that can defend, and he's as good as anyone in the League. 

Solid no-nonsense defender, sure worth a contract. That said, we do have Alves (at least for this campaign), Cardoso (who hasn't set a foot wrong IMHO), Martin (who may yet stay on) and McCrorie, who is superior to Bates as a footballer. Thus, Bates might get the idea that game-time is hardly achievable with us next season ... with Aidan Wilson also on the horizon and us supposedly looking at/for another left-sided centre-half.

Yes. It's hardly as big a decision as whether to renew a contract for a Kenny Miller or a Niko Kranjcar who are on a big salary. His wage will be one of the smallest in the squad so there's not much to lose. At 21 he's a player who can and should appreciate in value too.

I'd like him to get a new deal, but shorter one than others have been offered.  I think 2 years will be enough to see if he can develop the distribution side of his game because that is really important To the way we play.  If he isn't happy with two years, I'd then say we have to just allow him to go.  I really like him though and I'd really hope he could prove quickly that he can develop his game, and if he did we could then further extend his contract early.

Edited by Gaffer