Cruz Azul slide as they plummet into bottom half of Mexican league

The Portuguese boss was hired in December as the Mexican side were determined to end their wait for a title but now have just one win in their last five games

FORMER Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha has slaughtered his team after Cruz Azul’s season plunged into crisis as they plummeted into the bottom half of the Mexican league.

The Portuguese boss was hired in December by the Mexico City club who were determined to end a 20-year wait for the title.

Pedro Caixinha on the touchline

Getty Images - Getty
Pedro Caixinha on the touchline

However, they are now tenth in the league after just one win in five games.

His side had two men sent off in a 2-1 weekend defeat at Atlas.

Caixinha already saw his side eliminated from the Copa MX at the group stage and he’s had enough of his underachieving players.

Rangers loanee Carlos Pena has still yet to start a game for him too amid concerns about his fitness and has only been used as a sub, despite being the second highest paid player in Mexico.

Caixinha said: “I expected much more from my team by this stage of the season.

“We can say there has been difficult circumstances because getting two players sent off means you are up against it.

“Although that was our first league defeat, we should have picked up more points by now.

“It’s frustrating and difficult to understand.

“My expectations were huge for this club. They still are, but there is a negative feeling around the club now.

“It will take time to get it right, but it’s clear we need to be much better than this.”

12 hours ago, craig said:

He won the title though - doesn't matter that it was a one-horse race, he still won the title.

But why the fascination with Pedro then? Why are they constantly reporting on a manager that has nothing to do with Scotland?

I hope he manages to turn it around for them.  I hope Pena does well for them, and I hope we get the money for him.

I think this hope is perhaps the reason why the gutter press continues with their pursuit of him even now he's gone.

• Frankie changed the title to Cruz Azul slide as they plummet into bottom half of Mexican league