On Reflextion And Looking Forward

To me that paints PLG as an complete amateur as a manager. Perhaps he should take a course in motivation and team building.

You don't get the best out of anyone by driving the too hard or upsetting them. People are not robots.

Imagine your boss came in and started throwing his weight around, telling you you had to be in a 7am and leave at 7pm. You workload gets doubled and your deadlines halved. Talking, private emails and Internet are banned.

Would you all be more professional, would you do a better job? It might work for a couple of months but then you'd either try to get rid of the manager or look for another job.

I think the ones slagging the players off about professionalism should look themselves in the mirror and decide if you trully follow those incrdibly strict ideals yourself...

The fact you spend any time at all on here suggests that you are talking garbage. You may not be at work but I bet you could spend the time thinking about problems at work or learning something to improve your work.

I smell the stench of hypocrisy.

Calscot mate

I�´m not up for debate and nobody on here gives a F if I have a professional attitude at the workplace.

What we care about is Rangers and I think it reasonable to expect-

1. That every player has a responsible and professional attitude to their work.

This encompasses many things such as diet etc.

2. That they follow the instructions of the manager to the letter.

That includes being told to concentrate on stretching or what position to play in a match situation.

Now Rangers injury list over the years would have been smaller had the players been told to concentrate on small things like warm-ups, stretching etc.

When Wenger came in at Arsenal, the players thought "all this stretching was a waste of time", but they did it and it lengthened the careers of the likes of Adams, Keown, Dixon etc

Milan are thourgh aswell, Maldini and Costacurta could give some advice to their scottish collegues.

When a manager arrives and trys to change a backward mentality prevelent in the scottish game it�´s understandable that it�´ll take time.

Surely it was reasonable for the players to do what they were told.

They are well paid and haven�´t got the type of recent record to say "don�´t show us new tricks".

What I will say is PLG�´s man mgmt. skills might have been better but it was our own players, doctor etc. and ultimatly fans who didn�´t give the new regime a chance.

Now our club is going no-where, we may win the CIS next season, even the spl in 2/3 years but in the big picture Rangers have sent all the message they are to remain a wee club.

I do find it baffling that the guys who still rue PLG's departure thought he could drag us even furtehr backwards before taking us forwards again.

As i'm sure Calscot has mentioned in other threads before, name one great manager who made a team a lot worse before making them better than when he took over? It just doesn't happen that way.

You do what WS did, initally you steady the ship, you plug the obvious gaps. Smith brought in some decent CB's fixed the defence. And with virtually the same team we're on one of our best runs of results in years.

I think PLG's time here and even his mediocre performance subsequently with PSG shows that he was capable of keeping a vastly superior Lyon side at the top of the pile, but is not very capable of turning around a struggling team. Perhpas his reputation was not merited.

IMHO you live in a dream world !

Walter Smith isn�´t the way forward

He�´s steadied the ship but that�´s as far as it goes

Come back in august after CL qualifiers

Also, i dont think he would have minded a laugh and a joke, but I can just imagine PLG coming in and trying to install a professional attitude but all he would have heard was F*** this and F*** that and probably couldnt understand anything except the F*** word.

Rae's Interview says he wanted silence, how do you get 'he wouldnt have minded a laugh and a joke' from that?

Rae's Interview says he wanted silence, how do you get 'he wouldnt have minded a laugh and a joke' from that?

What Rae doesnt say is when PLG said this (or does he, the article didnt open from me).

But what Im saying is he problem took the first few sessions and was totally fed up with the Scottish backward mentality of the constant moaning, slagging and swearing. So he wanted silence so it was done right and he could maybe assess players etc..

There's a few different topics going on here, no-one can deny what WS has achieved and how the results and performances under PLG were poor.

Couple of quick points though....

1. PLG was the boss. So what he said should have been law. No?

2. We're talking about professional athletes here. Surely they should have been welcoming a new, different, European approach with more emphasis on looking after yourself, diet, lifestyle and fitness.

3. The Gavin Rae quote is a really small and insignificant one, but it does worryingly, add a little bit more weight to all the rumours we've heard which suggest that there was friction in the dressing room, towards training or PLG or something/someone, which wasn't in the best interests of the club.

I bet we don't know the half of what went on behind the scenes under PLG. But then we said the same thing under AM.

I know DM gets a lot of stick, but I'm more convinced than ever that there's an element of player power in the dressing room which needs to be sorted out asap.

As i'm sure Calscot has mentioned in other threads before, name one great manager who made a team a lot worse before making them better than when he took over? It just doesn't happen that way.

You do what WS did, initally you steady the ship, you plug the obvious gaps. Smith brought in some decent CB's fixed the defence. And with virtually the same team we're on one of our best runs of results in years.

Id say Sir Alex on your first point mate.

But on your 2nd point there, i cant agree. I think the 2 situations are different. Le Guen was coming in during a summer and started well enough but was up against a player revolution. Smith came in when it couldnt get any lower and being Scottish and knowing Rangers he picked up the short term problems and fixed them. But how far can Smith take us?? He has already given us so much domestic pleasure in the 90s but running Rangers is a different ball game now. He wont have an open cheque for starters and with the Scottish game going backwards fast and the european game going forwards, we could find ourselves strugglong to compete against the average Euro sides from Belgium, Bulgaria, Romania etc never mind the Italians and Spanish.

Yet it was Le Guens european approach that served us well in the UEFA this season but as soon as Smith comes in we are out straight away.

I also think Smith steadied the ship because he was allowed. The likes of Ferguson and Boyd who turned against Le Guen knew Smith is a Rangers man and one not to be messed with. They are also going to respect McCoist as he was probably both players idiol.

Dont get me wrong Im a Smith fan and he will do the business for us domestically again but I still cant see a long term plan, but this is down to the chairman etc.

And because we are going backwards we maybe needed PLG's different approach to change us long term. Its still something we will never know.

Maybe after they were doing what they had to do, apparently stretching properly.

I don�´t see the problem in asking for silence, it�´s the only way to concentrate properly.

Hey, let�´s just laugh and joke, this stretching sh*** is for woofters BTW

Scottish football culture at it�´s best, no feckin coincidence that we�´ve had some glourious failures down the years.

Its very strange though to read about these guys who still like more than the odd glass of wine though and don't pay much attention to their diets. These are supposed to be professional athletes who are earning an obscene amount of money. Most people I know who do any sort of regular exercise know that you have to look after yourself and if you do, you'll see benefits in your performance. So WFT is it so difficult for Scottish players to get it through their thick skull?

I see that some of the Hibs players have been having the exact same moans about some of John Collins' ideas about training, fitness and lifestyle.

Maybe after they were doing what they had to do, apparently stretching properly.

I don�´t see the problem in asking for silence, it�´s the only way to concentrate properly.

Hey, let�´s just laugh and joke, this stretching sh*** is for woofters BTW

Scottish football culture at it�´s best, no feckin coincidence that we�´ve had some glourious failures down the years.

Agreed, having a bit of silence is also another way of learning. Just look at class rooms in schools all the attention should be listening to the teacher. What does the teacher say if little Davie at the back is taking the piss out of Stevie at the front???