Is 2nd Best Acceptable?

For the last 7 years, it appears that SDM has decided that being 2nd in a 2 horse race is acceptable for Rangers Football Club. So, the question is, as fans, is 2nd acceptable? If not, what are we going to do to ensure that OUR club never accepts 2nd when 1rst is achievable?

Cammy F

We cant win all the time and I dont believe SDM thinks it's acceptable to be 2nd best. I think it's hard being 2nd best when you've become accustomed to being the best but for me it's swings and roundabouts. We'll be back - I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

2nd best is never acceptable at Rangers, but I don't see that they are all that far ahead ON the park. Off the park is another matter. If PLG had still been in charge we would probably be down fighing for fifth with Killie and Hibs

In one word the answer should be No! But not only are we 2nd best out of a 2 horse race, the others almost caught up with us this season. If Hearts werent ran by a mad dictator then we would probably be 3rd best.

But over the last few months this is turning around ON the park. I dont see a long term plan, but I see us being much closer next season. Smith was here for 9 titles last time round but I cant envisage him being with us for the same amount of again. I saw his appointment as good in some ways but bad in other ways. It looks like he is grooming McCoist to be our next manager but where will we be when that time comes around!

For the last 7 years, it appears that SDM has decided that being 2nd in a 2 horse race is acceptable for Rangers Football Club. So, the question is, as fans, is 2nd acceptable? If not, what are we going to do to ensure that OUR club never accepts 2nd when 1rst is achievable?

Cammy F

I think you have to look at the context. I would say 2nd best is reasonably acceptable up to 50% of the time.

Also I think second best for Walter Smith is very acceptable after he took over 17 points behind and embroiled in a second place battle.

Also Walter Smith has shown he is number 1 during his second spell here.

What do you want, an attitude that if we can be number one all the time, we may as well give up?

When you have blown first place, then you have to make sure of second.

What is obvious is that we have be spoiled during the NIAR years by competing against a very poorly funded and managed Celtic. We have no right to be first we have to earn it.

Celtic have taken the lead in recent years and it's up to Rangers to catch up and equal them or better them but we have to learn to do it against opposition who don't just give the league away.

If we can get ourselves sorted then the two horse race will be run pretty close for a long time to come. Second will be inevitable on many occasions.

I also think that finishing second is no bad thing if we have been playing well and challenging for the title and cups, only to beat by a better team.But the main problem has been that we have been shite for a while, nowhere near competing

I think you have to look at the context. I would say 2nd best is reasonably acceptable up to 50% of the time.

But we've been, 2nd (or 3rd) best for 5 of the last 7 seasons. In fact, you could argue that by winning the league on the last day of the remaining 2 seasons (I would never argue this, but there are some who may), that we have been 2nd best for 7 seasons in a row.

There is no signs that SDM is going to anything that will ensure that we aren't 2nd best next season, or the next, or the next, or the next, or the next.....

It is clear to see that HE believes that 2nd best is acceptable.

Cammy F

But we've been, 2nd (or 3rd) best for 5 of the last 7 seasons. In fact, you could argue that by winning the league on the last day of the remaining 2 seasons (I would never argue this, but there are some who may), that we have been 2nd best for 7 seasons in a row.

There is no signs that SDM is going to anything that will ensure that we aren't 2nd best next season, or the next, or the next, or the next, or the next.....

It is clear to see that HE believes that 2nd best is acceptable.

Cammy F

Yeah but statistics can be manipulated whatever way you want to Cammy - over the last 15 seasons have we not been 1st on at least 50% of the time ?

I know what you are getting at though and we are most definitely a distant second to them OFF the field - but I still firmly believe that we are not that far from them ON the field (however, this could easily change is SDM doesn't pony up some cash or sell - because they look like continuing to grow off the field meaning solid transfer budgets and wage budgets for good players whilst we seem to be perenially treated to the Bosman market).

I can't seriously see how we aren't far off them on the pitch. We are lacking in so many key areas - we need a goalie, 2 full backs, a centre half, 3 decent midfield players who can actaully beat a player, pass, move and strike a ball from outside the 18 yard line and we need 2 forwards.

Maybe I expect too much from Rangers players, management and board, but I have no confidence that we can overtake Craptic on or off the field in the next few seasons. They have a better squad than us, are better off financially.

They aren't a great side, but we are a rank rotten side at the moment. We've been rank rotten for the best part of 7 years now.

Cammy F