10 minutes ago, stewarty said:

After Murphy, Martin would be the biggest miss of those who there are question marks against in my view.  He's got a calmness that I think works well with Bates, and he uses his experience well to position himself and avoid having to make too many last ditch tackles.

I prefer Bates & Martin, all about opinions but I have not been impressed with Alves.

2 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I prefer Bates & Martin, all about opinions but I have not been impressed with Alves.

I think Alves is the best all round defender we have at the club, however I don't think he's suited to our game now.  For me, at least one of the centrebacks needs pace because of the space we leave on the flanks (just the way we play).  Bates doesn't have it, but he is possibly our best man marker and hence why Murty prefers to play him.  That leaves one space left and Alves doesn't have that ground speed to cover.  So, by default Martin is the better option.

I agree with Buster though .... we don't have a strong partnership we can have confidence in.  I hope they have a great game and shut Celtic out but I'm expecting a win only because we can outscore them,  not because I think we will out defend them.  It's got to be the top priority in the summer.  In fact I'd be satisfied to go into next season with the rest of the squad remaining the same if we sort out the centre of defence.  Maybe McCrorie and Bates is the future but I'd like to see them together before gaining any further confidence there.

Just now, Gaffer said:

I think Alves is the best all round defender we have at the club, however I don't think he's suited to our game now.  For me, at least one of the centrebacks needs pace because of the space we leave on the flanks (just the way we play).  Bates doesn't have it, but he is possibly our best man marker and hence why Murty prefers to play him.  That leaves one space left and Alves doesn't have that ground speed to cover.  So, by default Martin is the better option.

I agree with Buster though .... we don't have a strong partnership we can have confidence in.  I hope they have a great game and shut Celtic out but I'm expecting a win only because we can outscore them,  not because I think we will out defend them.  It's got to be the top priority in the summer.  In fact I'd be satisfied to go into next season with the rest of the squad remaining the same if we sort out the centre of defence.  Maybe McCrorie and Bates is the future but I'd like to see them together before gaining any further confidence there.

Early summer !

You can often get away with a mediocre defensive line in domestic football but it's often a 'killer' come European competition.

Given the balance of our squad, I think McCrorie is a good shout.

5 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I  have to disagree with Bates not having pace, he is very quick to cover behind and shut the ball down

4 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I  have to disagree with Bates not having pace, he is very quick to cover behind and shut the ball down

You might be right.  He just looks slow then. ;-)

Call it the centre half's union if you will, but despite not having had any game time at Norwich for a chunky part of a year, Martin's fitness held up well and each week he has played he has looked sharper and more assured.   He's developed a decent partnership with Bates whose pace definitely helps Martin out.   I'm kinda surprised folk haven't recognised Bates' pace and recovery skills - its two of his best attributes.   Perhaps its his ginger hair and gangly looks...

However, back to Martin.... he positions himself really cleverly.  His distribution is good, he's calm and he rarely gets caught out.  I prefer a defender who knows how to avoid making last ditch tackles all the time.  They look good but invariably the risk attached is far higher.

This is not to say that the step up in the level of opposition will not trouble him.  There is clearly a reason he wasn't getting a game for Norwich and I'm certain that its likely he is on the downward slope in terms of form and fitness that you find with most players at his stage of career.

Additionally, Alves got 90 minutes on Sunday but looked rusty so I'd prefer Martin to play.  Alves' experience will see him through the game should he be needed, though Celtic will fancy putting him under pressure to see if he's up to speed

21 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Agree with this and would have Bates and Martin in centre of defence. I think they have a good partnership.

Edited by cooponthewing

I really haven't noticed Bates being so quick so I'll stand corrected on that.  I'll be looking out for that more on Sunday.  I do really rate his marking skill/discipline though.  And of course I do acknowledge the importance of a calm head and the smart positioning of Martin.

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

What's wrong with beards?

(I am just going out, and may be some time.)

In day's gone by you would have had to go to Mr Struth to seek permission to grow a beard that request would have been met with a steely glare and the player would have seen the error of his ways .:D