It’s frustrating. He causes so many problems for defences and puts himself about so much, more than Cummings but he does so many things that cost us. Straying offside while looking along the line for a pass that would put him 1 on 1 with the keeper (Celtic go up the park and score). Missing a 1 on 1 with the keeper (Celtic go up the park and score), and missing a open goal from 3/4 yards. These three pieces of play cost us the match. I have no doubt in my mind that Cummings would have stayed onside for the first and scored the second and third chances but he doesn’t give you the same physicality and hold up play. I do think he should be dropped after today and give Cummings a few games up top to see what he gives. 

Edited by Chambo

After a few hours calming down time, it now seems the right time to post. 

I was raging with Morelos for not taking his chances and another sitter that seemed easier to score.  However, I think it’s unfair to make him the scapegoat today. It was really our failure to stop them from scoring what were 3 poorly conceded goals that cost us today. We simply cannot afford to lose 3 goals and expect our front men to score more to save us from losing.

Fod, again, struggled to cope with shots from distance, Cardoso was like a lamb to the slaughter and Alves still doesn’t convince me. 

I think Murty should have changed it up quicker than he did. Holt would have made a difference in the middle, especially when it was evident that Goss was not in the game today. I’d also have been tempted to bring the wise and experienced Kenny on in place of Josh when they went down to 10 men. 

So, yeah not Alfie’s best day, but certainly can’t let him shoulder the blame for th defeat today. Hopefully, he’ll put in behind him quickly. 

Anyway, this was only a dress rehearsal for the Semi-Final - that was always going to be the more important game, stopping their double treble. Hope Murty and the team learn from today - I think Murty’s future relies on it. 

Experience counts in these games, Murty's lack of said showed today imo, not getting on his back btw, as i honestly thought we were good today. Morelos takes his chances and we could have won it.

However i felt we played into Rodgers hands today, we reverted to leaving Morelos isolated, we kept it tight at the back for the most part, but we stood off them for periods and let then get comfortable on the ball again. Another manager, Pedro made this mistake too and it cost us then as it did today.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

2 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Yes Morelos was isolated with no midfield back up especially Windass who has scored a few good goals for us but seems quite naive in positional play.

When they went down to ten men Rodgers had to make a tactical change,  our response was clear as crystal, get Cummings on quick and get at them, naivety  at not making the change showed and i think cost us the draw.

Getting Cummings on may or may not have changed things but in my view resorting to lumping the ball up field just played into the mhanks hands as they could control that but not our crisp passing game.
Murty might learn from this but I hope our on field Captain will do so also as having armband is not just an honour.

3 minutes ago, aweebluesoandso said:

When they went down to ten men Rodgers had to make a tactical change,  our response was clear as crystal, get Cummings on quick and get at them, naivety  at not making the change showed and i think cost us the draw.

I thought that too.  We should have brought Cummings on as soon as they went down to ten.  It was obvious that Rodgers had to change his plan but we made it to easy by not changing anything ourselves.  If we had brought on Cummings at that time, it would have given everyone a boost, and them a problem.  About 5 minutes after he was sent off, I looked over and saw Murty telling the players to lift it.  He even turned to the fans to get us to lift it too.  What he maybe realised too late is to that he had someone on the bench who could have lifted it.  Murty is still very inexperienced though and as long as he learns from these things, it's all part of his growth into the role.  He's earned much more time to develop in my opinion.

We showed that our style of football works against them too so I'm excited still about our future under Murty.