Scotland living dangerously on the edge of our own box with Mulgrew making an arse of it leaving their striker through on goal. McGregor makes himself big and saves 70mins.

Edited by Big Jaws

1-0 Scotland has flattered us from my perspective. Apart from McGregor in goals, John McGinn in the middle of the park winning balls and breaking up play and Philips holding the ball up well at times we looked pretty poor.

11 hours ago, Big Jaws said:

1-0 Scotland has flattered us from my perspective. Apart from McGregor in goals, John McGinn in the middle of the park winning balls and breaking up play and Philips holding the ball up well at times we looked pretty poor.

I didn't see the whole game but I thought Scotland played quite well.

They pressed the game pretty good and I thought Philips was good at leading the line (I've liked the look of him for Scotland over the last year or so).  Sure, McGregor made a few good saves but Hungary only really looked a threat from long range shots.

After Scotland scored, Hungary did look a bit more dangerous but Mulgrew aside, we coped well enough and perhaps should have scored again ourselves. 

11 hours ago, Frankie said:

I didn't see the whole game but I thought Scotland played quite well.

They pressed the game pretty good and I thought Philips was good at leading the line (I've liked the look of him for Scotland over the last year or so).  Sure, McGregor made a few good saves but Hungary only really looked a threat from long range shots.

After Scotland scored, Hungary did look a bit more dangerous but Mulgrew aside, we coped well enough and perhaps should have scored again ourselves. 

Seriously you think so Frankie?

Sure Philips held the ball up well... at times. McGinn was excellent and did everything we expected of him breaking up the play and winning the midfield. McGregor made some good saves and needed too. If you contrast it against Germany v Brazil or if you want to be a bit more realistic England v Italy then we lacked control, awareness and the crucial point for me composure. Our game looked like a English league 1 or Championship game and thats probably because thats the level of player we have.

The two games I mentioned were low scoring games but the passing, movement, awareness, interplay between the defence, midfield and attack was much crisper and assured. They were confident, skilful and composed on the ball and also looked to have the knowledge of how to play through the opposition. Neither England or Italy are that good, they're not brilliant, and I don't even expect either of them would make the quarter finals in Russia, even if Italy had qualified, but regardless of that they were still streets ahead of anything we had to offer. Whether we like it or not that is the benchmark we need to reach before we can qualify for any international tournament. Add in Spain, France, Holland, Belgium, even Wales, the Scandinavians and the Baltic Euro countries and you can see where Scotland sits in terms of European football never mind world football.

I thought we looked like amateurs. 

Edited by Big Jaws