Louis Moult 'back on Rangers radar'...?

11 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I'd be surprised if he went for Moult.

However I do think there's more than a possibility we'll go for Oli McBurnie whose contract at Swansea is up at the end of the season.

I agree.  I think Moult is a good player, but not what we need to push for a title.  We either need to go for better players than him, or younger players with potential to be much better.  I'd not seen much of McBurnie, but I'll look out more for him now because in that showing again st Costa Rica, I thought he looked quite promising.

21 hours ago, Gaffer said:

I agree.  I think Moult is a good player, but not what we need to push for a title.  We either need to go for better players than him, or younger players with potential to be much better.  I'd not seen much of McBurnie, but I'll look out more for him now because in that showing again st Costa Rica, I thought he looked quite promising.

A club of our size needs to be aiming for decent Europa League level players. Such players don't need to be expensive and I'd say the likes of Morelos and Candeias fit the bill. Players that aren't good enough for Preston are a million miles from where we need to be. Scoring goals in Scotland for non OF teams is the equivalent to scoring goals in one of the lowest English divisions. 

I don't get the negativity towards him. He proved at Motherwell that Motherwell was not his level. Motherwell were a force in the first half of the season and struggled since he left.

Struggling at Preston isn't a good sign, granted. But there are endless reasons why a player doesn't make an impact at a club in his first 3 months. The best bargains are often when a player simply doesn't fit into a manager's style and appears worse than he really is. There are countless examples but how about Mourinho selling De Bruyne, who appeared just not to be Chelsea standard, or even Cummings who couldn't even make a subs appearance for Nottingham Forest?

With Miller and Herrera out the door in the summer (hopefully), Moult would be a great signing if we're talking the low hundreds of thousands as a back up striker. That would potentially leave us with Morelos, Cummings and Moult. Sounds good to me.

Edited by DMAA

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

Struggling at Preston isn't a good sign, granted. But there are endless reasons why a player doesn't make an impact at a club in his first 3 months. The best bargains are often when a player simply doesn't fit into a manager's style and appears worse than he really is. There are countless examples but how about Mourinho selling De Bruyne, who appeared just not to be Chelsea standard, or even Cummings who couldn't even make a subs appearance for Nottingham Forest?

I would argue that he's not exactly set the heather alight with us yet.  I've not seen much to suggest he's going to be an outstanding player for us....

6 hours ago, Darthter said:

I would argue that he's not exactly set the heather alight with us yet.  I've not seen much to suggest he's going to be an outstanding player for us....

My point was that at 600k he’s a bargain. Imagine we’d signed him straight from Hibs for that, you’d never have believed it. We know he’s good enough to play for Rangers, he’s just had the misfortune of having Morelos ahead of him and having a manager who only wants to play 1 up front. 

Ally McCoist was a "flop" at Sunderland.

Brian Laudrup was a "flop" at Fiorentina.

Steve Davis was a "flop" at Aston Villa and Fulham.

James Tavernier was a "flop" at both Newcastle and Wigan. 

Sone Aluko was a "flop" at Birmingham City. 

Some careers go backwards before they go forwards again.