When will we see another league flag flying over Ibrox?

When will we see another league flag flying over Ibrox?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically, looking at progress over the last two seasons back in the Premier League and the current state of the club on and off the park, when do you think Rangers will next win the title?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/18 at 22:59

55 minutes ago, buster. said:

I'd hardly call that a strong base for optimism.

Our transfer business in the past couple of years has been very poor and the January window just gone, whilst being better was mainly about players who will be going back to their parent clubs in the summer.

If you are implying that our directors have only just realised that 'you get what you pay for' opposed to actually allocating what scarce resources were available very badly, then what level of gumption is in the boardroom ? In other words, they know fine well that 'you get what you pay for' but finances and managerial/player choice have been problems.

The main base issue for me is who the manager will be.

If it were to be a 'Head Coach' working under Mark Allen, then we'd better get ready to use a larger wall for the manager portraits because Ibrox under current pressures is not a place that young coaches will be allowed to thrive.

Fair enough Buster. In my short time on here I'd like to think that people would recognise that I'm pretty wary of the board. I don't feel as though they've done a particularly good job for a number of reasons. They have however, made some decisions which I broadly support in principle.

What I was trying to imply, without blowing the gaff on the sensitive information that I have, is that the board have tried a couple of strategies which haven't borne any fruit other than getting promoted out of the First Division. Gift-wrapping a Scottish Cup for the Trainspotters and winning the Challenge Cup don't count in my book. Cheaper options if you will and evidence therein has proved to them that an alternative strategy is required to be successful on the pitch in the short term. Yes, undoubtedly, the transfer market dealings have been patchy at best and financials involved in first team environment recruitment have been problematic.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the board's activities should be scrutinised but my understanding is that this 'bordering on biscuit tin mindset' could be about to change fairly dramatically in reasonably short order and that would give me grounds, as a skeptic, of being cautiously optimistic.

Until something happens though, I'll reserve judgement; hence the reason why I've been a bit cryptic.

Any timeframe on when we might expect to hear something, soulsonic?

I recall McCoist mentioned we might hear something before the semi, although I tend to disregard whatever he says.

32 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Fair enough Buster. In my short time on here I'd like to think that people would recognise that I'm pretty wary of the board. I don't feel as though they've done a particularly good job for a number of reasons. They have however, made some decisions which I broadly support in principle.

What I was trying to imply, without blowing the gaff on the sensitive information that I have, is that the board have tried a couple of strategies which haven't borne any fruit other than getting promoted out of the First Division. Gift-wrapping a Scottish Cup for the Trainspotters and winning the Challenge Cup don't count in my book. Cheaper options if you will and evidence therein has proved to them that an alternative strategy is required to be successful on the pitch in the short term. Yes, undoubtedly, the transfer market dealings have been patchy at best and financials involved in first team environment recruitment have been problematic.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the board's activities should be scrutinised but my understanding is that this 'bordering on biscuit tin mindset' could be about to change fairly dramatically in reasonably short order and that would give me grounds, as a skeptic, of being cautiously optimistic.

Until something happens though, I'll reserve judgement; hence the reason why I've been a bit cryptic.

Thanks for the reply SS !

I don't think it's a matter of being for or against the board. It's more a case of making a judgement on what they have done and how likely it is that they can start to make bettter decisions and of coure, have the means available to be able to do so.

I thought the apparent strategy behind the MW appointment was fine and in the short term, brought a rapid improvement and a successful season. However, prior to the end of that season, both football management and the Chairman carelessly scattered the seeds of inevitable failure. What came thereafter, set us on another inevitable road to another costly failure. 

I take from that, that we didn't learn many lessons, repeated certain mistakes and have a habit of making things as difficult as possible for ourselves on various fronts.

Having finance available would be a huge positive but it doesn't mean success unless it is spent and invested wisely.

9 hours ago, compo said:

If things had been done properly back in 2012 instead of flyboys and pocket  fillers and a decent coach we could have been hoisting a flag this season but we all know what went down , I still get angry when I see the chances missed back in 2012 when we should have been brining in the best of youth with a few experienced players to build a good team instead we brought in some stiffs , some dumplings and some pension fund builders ,if we could only have got it done in a proper style we could be looking forward to some decent pay days from European football instead of living hand to mouth .

It all seems so simple.  Most players we’ve signed since can’t handle the pressure of playing for a team who has to win every week so it seems like fantasy that a team of hypothetical youth players would.

How in 2012 people could expect a club on it's knees, with no direction in the boardroom and no money, to have the "perfect opportunity" to completely change into something stronger and better than it was before is beyond me.

7 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Given the amount of variables involved - as well as football usually not going according to plan, funny old game that it is -  predicting league titles for years to come is a pretty pointless excercise. It is even more pointless when it is essentially again started after a number of bad results by people obviously looking to get some backing for their gloomy view on things.

With, by comparison to them, low key spending, we have assembled a squad well capable of beating the rest in Scotland, bar certain factors that I listed above. Who's to say that if similar money is being spend and a different, more forceful and progressive manager coming in, we can't win titles sooner rather than later? Yep, it could all go down Caixinha's way again, but we don't know that either. And obviously, given their buying power, the Yahoos might very well sign half a handful of quality folk to keep us at bay, no matter whom we sign or appoint. It's not that the world just revolves around us.

All those words to say you can't predict it?!

Good grief. :)

7 hours ago, Bill said:

Aren’t you being just a tad pompous about this. Lighten up, it’s merely an opportunity to express an opinion and in the process share our ideas about where we are on the road to recovery. You really shouldn’t get so upset to see different views put forward. There’s no right or wrong, only opinion, some more informed than others but all equally valid.  :D

... yeah, usually asked when things go downhill.

And, BTW, I'm utterly cool about it.

• 2 weeks later...

70% voted for a league title in the next two seasons and over a third thought we'd win the league next season. I think today puts into perspective the task ahead of us - both to win the league and to manage supporter expectations.