Miller to continue playing next season

Kenny Miller says he may have to leave Rangers this summer after revealing he plans to continue playing next season.

The 38-year-old, who is out of contract this summer, marked his return to the starting line-up with the opener in Saturday's 4-0 win over Dundee.

"Nothing has been discussed regarding my future," Miller said.

"Who knows what will happen at the club in the summer, so I'll look after myself because I want to continue playing. I'll stay focused on that."

Miller made his first start of 2018 against Dundee, having last found the net when he hit a double against Hearts in October.

After tearing a hamstring before Christmas he was out for two months, but was back against Dundee and helped the Ibrox men move second in the table above Aberdeen on goal difference.

Miller now hopes to play a part against Celtic in next Sunday's Scottish Cup semi-final.

"It was good to get back into the starting line-up because I haven't done that since December," he said. "It's been a frustrating time out for me. But sometimes you just have to bide your time.

"Hopefully my experience is important to the team - and I hope it's required next week as well.

"I was being written off after the injury but I was comfortable with it, I always felt I'd come back. I'd relish the chance to go in against Celtic next week."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43689344

Apparently he’s on a relatively low wage.  If we do extend for another year then it’s low to zero risk.  We’ll get the benefit of his experience and, no doubt, a few goals as well.  I really don’t see any drawbacks or anything to get  upset about other than the fact some people, particularly online, seem to really dislike him...I can’t think why that might be.

57 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

I can understand his wishes,I should have retired 3 years ago but am still working part-time as I have no wish to become a couch potato,good luck to Kenny in his quest.

I am not sure retiring makes you a couch potato. Most people who retire had more time to do things when they were working. Your social contact may be less but retired people tend to be busier doing things for themselves as they ever did for a boss.

7 hours ago, pete said:

I am not sure retiring makes you a couch potato. Most people who retire had more time to do things when they were working. Your social contact may be less but retired people tend to be busier doing things for themselves as they ever did for a boss.

article-1283711047621-0b0c5452000005dc-4

10 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Apparently he’s on a relatively low wage.  If we do extend for another year then it’s low to zero risk.  We’ll get the benefit of his experience and, no doubt, a few goals as well.  I really don’t see any drawbacks or anything to get  upset about other than the fact some people, particularly online, seem to really dislike him...I can’t think why that might be.

It isn't zero to low risk because if he's with us, there's a chance he might play and that's introducing more risk as far as I'm concerned.

Please note that I don't dislike him.  I don't know of any others that dislike him either.  He seems like a nice guy and no one could ever doubt his work ethic.  He runs from the first second to the last and that's to be admired.  My problem with him is that I don't think he's good enough and yet he is played ahead of others.  For a professional footballer to have a first touch like that is bewildering to me, and yet he does seem to score some cracking goals.  If Miller goes, I'll be very thankful for all he has done for us, and I'd even encourage younger players to look at his work rate as an example of what real effort looks like.  However, I'll also be happy that we then focus on players who are technically more gifted and suited to our style of play.

7 hours ago, pete said:

That is very true. The saying I heard from loads of old guys in my club was “ I don’t know how I had the time to go to work”, I’ve discovered it’s true.