New manager rumours

2 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

If Gerrard does well with the U18's it won't be long before he's in the mix with the first team. 

Ah, is that what you meant? A better path into the Liverpool top job eventually?

That makes sense. 

He may still need to move on to gain experience first, though.

I don't know.

My head says we need a tried and tested manager. Preud'homme or Clarke maybe.

Can't lie though a part me would be pretty excited about a worldwide figure like Gerrard coming the club. He'd bring a draw to the club for players which currently isn't there. 

That said I don't believe a word of it. It's a rumour which has conveniently made a few quid for media outlets and bookies.

Just now, Rousseau said:

Ah, is that what you meant? A better path into the Liverpool top job eventually?

That makes sense. 

He may still need to move on to gain experience first, though.

I don't know.

Where did Souness go after Rangers ?

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

It's about the finance as well as the football and if you want to provide a imaginative project for prospective investors then Gerrard plus experienced Number 2 would probably work..... Investment is key wrt providing funds to bring in quality.

I look at the candidates out there, the probability some wouldn't want the job and a Gerrard/Experienced Number 2 would be a gamble but no moreso than anyother prospective options out there. IMO, the likes of McLaren, Pardew would crash and burn anyway (ie.experience in failure).

Personally, I'd go for Clarke but I doubt he'll want it. If it's a Gerrard/Experienced No.2 then so be it....the fans could get into that.

That's not the only 'imaginative project' -- I wouldn't even call it imaginative; we're looking at his playing career, which is meaningless wrt whether he'll be a good manager.

I'd support it, but I wouldn't say I'd "get into that". 

The game's moved on: you can't gain success from a new manager, with a good playing career, with an experienced #2, whatever that means, IMO. Nicholls and Murty represent that combination.   

Just now, Rousseau said:

It wasn't my point, but can you really see that happening now? Perhaps, but it's unlikely IMO.

Impossible to say, it's only mentioning that it has already happened.

Inexperienced appointments can go either way and depend a lot on how well the individual is supported, both by his staff and financially.

Souness got the support in both areas and was successful. Although it has to be noted the situation today is a different one.

Greig didn't really get the same level of backing and seemed a reactionary/hasty decision by Willie Waddell.

We can't forget that Souness also had the attraction of European football when English clubs were banned from Europe. He was able to attract the England captain to the club.

In addition the finance now and then are totally different, both from a club and a UK perspective.

12 minutes ago, buster. said:

Impossible to say, it's only mentioning that it has already happened.

Inexperienced appointments can go either way and depend a lot on how well the individual is supported, both by his staff and financially.

Souness got the support in both areas and was successful. Although it has to be noted the situation today is a different one.

Greig didn't really get the same level of backing and seemed a reactionary/hasty decision by Willie Waddell.

Financial backing is part of the equation, but it's nothing compared to actually being tactical proficient. 

Like I said, the game's moved on. It's unlikely to be repeated. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I really can't see him being the #1.

Could Gerard be the #2? And, if he is, does that offer any obvious choices for a #1?

I am sure someone told me last week that the new manager would be Benitez......