New manager rumours

3 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I think clubs like Real Madrid manage themselves to be honest. He's 15 points behind Barca in the league too. 

Real Madrid is mucho politics and you can see that those that have been successful tend to 'go with the flow', eg. Del Bosque, Zidane.

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

No, we play in the SPFL Premiership! :D 

I understand it's not a priority, but I don't see why there can't be a manager that can do the job now, while also bring something, build something, that will see us progress in Europe. 'Progress' is relative; it doesn't mean Qualifying for the CL Last-16, merely being able to take on European sides without reverting to ultra-defensive, counter-attacking football; maybe go on a run in the Europa League. 

If you want to build something you start with a good foundation and it's the football operation as a whole that has to brought up to as high a level as possible, as quickly as possible. Then, you have to have a first team set-up that takes full advantage.

It's about getting value for money for every pound spent and adding value via improving footballers of all ages.

If you can get as close to this as possible, you may have a better chance of on-field succes at home and abroad.

I think a realistic comparison is Neil Lennon. Nobody thought he’d make a good manager, too controversial, poor communication skills etc. Yet his players seem to bust a gut for him & his experience at the top level means he will (should) have picked up a few things.

Sadly using another Celtic analogy, but when they replaced Tommy Burns with Wim Jansen & Jock Brown after we won 9 in a row it was also a huge gamble. Maybe when you’re that far behind (like we were in 1986) then you have to keep taking gambles until one works out. Either that or accept mediocrity. Wouldn’t be my choice, but now I would feel a bit disappointed if he doesn’t get it..

Just now, Rousseau said:

Most probably. Short-termism in a nut-shell.

What's worrying is many see this as a good move, simply because of that marquee name. It just doesn't follow for me. 

No; I think, well, I hope, that the attempt to bring in a name known around the globe may be part of a longer game. 

Of course, it may just be a chat on the golf course, or at the 19th hole ("I could sort out your team; I mean, Scottish League, how hard could it be?") which has grown arms, legs, and everything else. 

1 minute ago, Uilleam said:

No; I think, well, I hope, that the attempt to bring in a name known around the globe may be part of a longer game. 

Of course, it may just be a chat on the golf course, or at the 19th hole ("I could sort out your team; I mean, Scottish League, how hard could it be?") which has grown arms, legs, and everything else. 

Gordon Strachan met Dermott Desmond by chance at the horse-racing where the latter asked the former if he would be prepared to manage Celtic one day. The answer was yes and a little further down the line, it happened.

source: Gordon Strachan 

10 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Most probably. Short-termism in a nut-shell.

What's worrying is many see this as a good move, simply because of that marquee name. It just doesn't follow for me. 

I think a lot of people are just trying to be optimistic and hope that things can't get any worse than they are now.

The realists among us know that they can always get worse, but I guess it helps to have a glimmer of hope too.

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

If you want to build something you start with a good foundation and it's the football operation as a whole that has to brought up to as high a level as possible, as quickly as possible. Then, you have to have a first team set-up that takes full advantage.

It's about getting value for money for every pound spent and adding value via improving footballers of all ages.

If you can get as close to this as possible, you may have a better chance of on-field succes at home and abroad.

Of course, but that doesn't contradict anything I've said. In fact, you've emphasised my point. 

5 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I don't think a marquee signing brings anything, at least wrt the football operation.

True. 

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

No, we play in the SPFL Premiership! :D 

I understand it's not a priority, but I don't see why there can't be a manager that can do the job now, while also bring something, build something, that will see us progress in Europe. 'Progress' is relative; it doesn't mean Qualifying for the CL Last-16, merely being able to take on European sides without reverting to ultra-defensive, counter-attacking football; maybe go on a run in the Europa League. 

:) Fair point, I don't think I've ever used that, though .  Hell, I still think of it as the first division! 

I think "going on a run in the Europa league" is just about possible in my lifetime if we get lucky in the qualifiers and then meet teams with no interest in the competition.  I'm 60 this year though and they'll soon make qualifying harder, so it is a long shot.

Just now, Rousseau said:

I don't think a marquee signing brings anything, at least wrt the football operation.

True. 

I think that players may be attracted to work with a 'name' manager/coach, who, otherwise, might  feel that there are better opportunities elsewhere. 

Can a high profile 'face' help with sourcing investment? That may remain to be seen, but it surely wouldn't hinder such an exercise.