The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Steven Gerrard will have first refusal on any youngsters Liverpool are considering loaning out north of the border.

The Rangers boss has already taken Reds midfielder Ovie Ejaria on a season-long loan and snapped up full-back Jon Flanagan on a free transfer.

Ben Woodburn and Dominic Solanke have also been linked with a temporary move to Ibrox, but Jurgen Klopp intends to keep those players on board in the short-term and give them opportunities to shine in the pre-season friendlies.

Gerrard's close bond with Liverpool will ensure that Rangers aren't beaten to loan signings they want by any of their domestic rivals. The Reds know their rising talent would be in safe hands under the guidance of the Kop icon, who impressed at the Academy as under-18s coach before taking the leap into management.

Former Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has tried and failed to take Harry Wilson on a season-long loan to Celtic.

Liverpool were concerned about the Scottish champions' use of loan signings from Premier League clubs last season when Manchester City's Patrick Roberts and Chelsea's Charly Musonda found their game time limited.

Klopp has yet to make a decision on Wilson with the Welsh winger set to be given the chance to force his way into the manager's plans in pre-season.

However, if he is loaned out he will remain in England. Liverpool have already received approaches from a dozen Championship clubs.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-quirk-liverpool-allowing-steven-14876341

Defoe as well as Ings depend on quite a few things. Gerrard and regular football are the biggest draw, Defoe sure doesn't need the odd 10k per week any longer, whether Ings is willing to "drop to say" 30k plus bonuses is anyone's guess. Ings would probably have to stay on at Liverpool and join up for a loan, as we won't be able to pay the going rate for him. Which would be mad in any case, as we may throw the odd million for the likes of Herrera or Pena about every other year, but should Ings flop or gets injured, we'd sure be very dependent on Europe and more loans.

As I have said before, we will have Sadiq soonish, who seems to be a great prospect. Solanke might be another, which would leave us with three very young strikers, plus Herrera. If it was for me, I'd sign Cummings and Lafferty up for good and comparatively reasonable money, know what they are capable of and that they will do a job at the bred-and-butter level that is called Scottish Premiership.

I'm not keen on the loan signings of Ings and Solanke -- the former is injury prone, and I doubt he'd take the pay cut at 24/25; and the latter is not a great striker for me -- but Defoe would be a good signing, IMO.

He's an exemplary professional, and a natural goalscorer with a wealth of experience. Wages may be an issue.  

(However, going by the game against Bury, the high energy, pressing game, I can see a Solanke type forward fitting in nicely. And, to be fair, he may do well at this level.)

4 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Defoe as well as Ings depend on quite a few things. Gerrard and regular football are the biggest draw, Defoe sure doesn't need the odd 10k per week any longer, whether Ings is willing to "drop to say" 30k plus bonuses is anyone's guess. Ings would probably have to stay on at Liverpool and join up for a loan, as we won't be able to pay the going rate for him. Which would be mad in any case, as we may throw the odd million for the likes of Herrera or Pena about every other year, but should Ings flop or gets injured, we'd sure be very dependent on Europe and more loans.

As I have said before, we will have Sadiq soonish, who seems to be a great prospect. Solanke might be another, which would leave us with three very young strikers, plus Herrera. If it was for me, I'd sign Cummings and Lafferty up for good and comparatively reasonable money, know what they are capable of and that they will do a job at the bred-and-butter level that is called Scottish Premiership.

An expensive 35 year old (Defoe) and and expensive injury-prone forward (Ings).

Do we ever learn from the past ? Let's hope so and that this is only papertalk.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I'm not keen on the loan signings of Ings and Solanke -- the former is injury prone, and I doubt he'd take the pay cut at 24/25; and the latter is not a great striker for me -- but Defoe would be a good signing, IMO.

He's an exemplary professional, and a natural goalscorer with a wealth of experience. Wages may be an issue.  

(However, going by the game against Bury, the high energy, pressing game, I can see a Solanke type forward fitting in nicely. And, to be fair, he may do well at this level.)

Everyone thought Ian Wright would be a great player for Celtic and he was flop of the year. And remember how Joey Barton was going to walk the SPL. We have had EPL players before that couldn't kick their own arse. James Beattie and the Everton child star Fanny Jeffers springs to mind. Just because they have played at EPL level doesn't make them great for the SPFL. The SPFL is a different animal. 

17 minutes ago, pete said:

Everyone thought Ian Wright would be a great player for Celtic and he was flop of the year. And remember how Joey Barton was going to walk the SPL. We have had EPL players before that couldn't kick their own arse. James Beattie and the Everton child star Fanny Jeffers springs to mind. Just because they have played at EPL level doesn't make them great for the SPFL. The SPFL is a different animal. 

Solanke? Good point; he's not even a 'top' player at that level. It's his only redeeming attribute, for me; I don't think he's that great. 

I think Defoe would be good, though. His movement and natural goal-scoring ability could be a good asset for us. I'm not sure how likely that is, with his wages.