The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

11 minutes ago, craig said:

Not sure how you can say "it looks increasingly unlikely he'll reproduce that one good season at Burnley" when he has been injured.  Being injured is no guarantee that he won't still find his shooting boots.  He hasn't really had a chance at Liverpool due to his injuries.  But that isn't really an indicator of how likely he is to find his form.  We only need to look across the city for an example.... we rejected Hartson due to a failed medical - and he scored for fun for Celtic.

I think Ings would shine in Scotland.  However, I do agree that it is a moot point - I just can't see us getting him.  EPL teams will be willing to part with cash for a guy who has proven he can score at that level and they will pay him far more than we can.

Whether we like it or not we also need to realise that we have literally ONE striker on the books right now - we need numbers and I think that Solanke and/or Ings would add something different to Morelos.  Sadiq looks like he could be on his way, and he too would offer something different.  We need variability and all 3 of those would provide that, and provide proper competition for Morelos.  Which I think is much needed.

Yes, you're right: he's been really unfortunate with injury. But it is taking longer and longer for him to return -- a Rossiter situation?  I was mostly thinking of this last season, where I think he has been 'fit', or free from injury, since January time. Of course, it's impossible to get in front of Mane, Firmino and Salah, but from what I saw, he's didn't really do much. I think he got his first goal in the last game of the season. 

Perhaps. He has got a knack for findings space in the box, so perhaps that will shine through if he were to get a good run in a team. Yes, I think it's unlikely. 

We certainly need more options up front, and I'm not suggesting we don't sign these guys, just that they don't excite me; I don't see the lure -- apart from Wilson.

Ipswich Town plotting bid for Rangers goalkeeper Wes Foderingham?

By Mark Langshaw, Reporter
Filed: Friday, July 6, 2018 at 15:22 UK
Last Updated: Friday, July 6, 2018 at 15:24 UK

Ipswich Town are allegedly lining up a summer bid for Rangers goalkeeper Wes Foderingham.

The Tractor Boys have identified the former England youth international as a potential replacement for Bartosz Bialkowski, who has been linked with a move elsewhere, according to the Ipswich Star.

Recent reports suggest that Foderingham is keen to leave Rangers this summer, with new manager Steven Gerrard having told him that he is the third-choice goalkeeper at Ibrox, behind Allan McGregor and Jak Alnwick.

Aston Villa have also been linked with a summer move for the former Swindon Town stopper.

Foderingham joined Rangers from Swindon in 2015 and has since won the Scottish Championship title and League Challenge Cup with the club.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/ipswich-town/transfer-talk/news/ipswich-plotting-bid-for-foderingham_329980.html

Do we really know that Alnwick is ahead of Wes ?  Or has Gerrard said "McGregor is my #1 and you two fight it out for back-up" to which Wes may have very well said thanks but no thanks.

That said, I think that Alnwick commands his box better than Wes.  There isn't a great deal in it between the two of them for me.  McGregor considerably better than both IMO.

I wouldn't have been happy to see Wes stay as he always gave his best - but we certainly don't need 3 keepers - and it could also be that Gerrard sees Wes as more marketable in terms of getting money in the door to bolster the squad elsewhere.  If there isn't much between Wes & Alnwick then get rid of the one that brings the most money in, and who is on the higher salary - makes sense.

3 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Loans have about a 3 percent success rate.

82.345% of statistics are just made up shite :D

Any empirical evidence - would be interesting to see !

11 minutes ago, craig said:

Do we really know that Alnwick is ahead of Wes ?  Or has Gerrard said "McGregor is my #1 and you two fight it out for back-up" to which Wes may have very well said thanks but no thanks.

That said, I think that Alnwick commands his box better than Wes.  There isn't a great deal in it between the two of them for me.  McGregor considerably better than both IMO.

I wouldn't have been happy to see Wes stay as he always gave his best - but we certainly don't need 3 keepers - and it could also be that Gerrard sees Wes as more marketable in terms of getting money in the door to bolster the squad elsewhere.  If there isn't much between Wes & Alnwick then get rid of the one that brings the most money in, and who is on the higher salary - makes sense.

I was just going by that article and I have read it a few times, but I agree I don't think there's anything concrete there. 

For me Wes is better all-round -- perhaps Alnwick just shades it in commanding his box, but there's not as much as is perceived to be IMO.

Shagger should be #1. I'd like to see McCrorie make that step up, although I'm not sure if he's actually ready. 

That's a good point about marketability; he should command a better fee -- does that not also suggest Wes is the better 'keeper... :whistle:

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I was just going by that article and I have read it a few times, but I agree I don't think there's anything concrete there. 

For me Wes is better all-round -- perhaps Alnwick just shades it in commanding his box, but there's not as much as is perceived to be IMO.

Shagger should be #1. I'd like to see McCrorie make that step up, although I'm not sure if he's actually ready. 

That's a good point about marketability; he should command a better fee -- does that not also suggest Wes is the better 'keeper... :whistle:

Not necessarily - Wes has been in the team consistently and, ergo, been in the shop window more.  Does him being the first pick mean he is the better keeper ?  Well... we know Pedro was a shite manager so it doesn't really tell us who the better keeper is/was :ninja:

8 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I'm not averse to seeing Wes move on, but for a decent fee; £3/4m -ish? 

How the hell is Alnwich ahead of Wes?! 

That's got me:

giphy.gif

Think it's more we can get cash for Wes and Wes isn't willing to be a number 2 .

Personally I think Wes is a better shot stopper than Alnwick. But is it a possibility that Gerrard thinks he has a good enough defence and a  strategy that will reduce shots on target to a minimum? And if that were the case might he then prefer a goalkeeper with other qualities?

I like Wes but if someone were to come in with a 3 million plus offer I think we need to take it if he's going to be stuck on the bench at best where his value will reduce.