The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

I don't know much about Kent, other than some have said he's a tricky, two-footed winger with a bit of pace. On paper it sounds good; we need more options up front. 

We need another forward and central creative player too.  

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I am absolutely amazed that we would consider taking a player on loan from a club that puts playing time stipulations into the contract. 70% of game time for a loanee is a huge number for an under-developed player. We cannot afford to take a player on loan who still needs a lot of work (otherwise he would be playing for his contracted club or be sold to another club), we need to be winning games playing our best players who are fit and in form.

Something needs to be done about the number of players a club can have under contract. The farce that was Chelsea sending out something 40+ players on loan is not good for the game, especially if these types of clubs are putting in stipulations about who another manager has to play in his team.

The first 11 should be entirely down to our manager to pick whomever he wants to for that particular game, not be wondering if he has to play an inferior player just to meet a quota.

If the mother club thinks that highly of their player, then they shouldnt need to stipulate this in the contract, they should be confident that their player will be better than what we have in that position and will be a first choice for us. If not, dont give us the player, give him to a lesser level club where he will be a first pick on talent alone.

if a player is guaranteed a gig, be he a footballer or a flautist, then he  will be tempted to slip into  a comfort zone. 

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

If he is better, I hope he does.  Middleton then has to accept the standards he must reach if he's to get into the team.  No-one is owed a place in the team, just because they've been here longer.  The best 11 should start.  That's the only way to motivate the others to reach the standard, because it's the only way they'll be picked.

I do accept the point that we need to develop our own, but part of developing our own is to put them in the right space mentally, and that should mean realisation of the standards we expect.  Nothing less should be tolerated, not even for a promising young talent like GM.

Having said all this, I hope Middleton rises to the challenge and grabs one of those starting shirts.  At least when he wears it he will know he deserves it because of his talent, rather than as a result of him being owed anything.

That would entirely depend on the terms of the loan deal. I doubt very much Kent is being loaned to us without conditions on playing time.

There was recently a very good article highlighting the best players in the world and how they all play regularly as youth players. Young boys sitting on the bench being told this guy is currently better than you don't grow and reach their potential.Middleton doesn't deserve to drop down the pecking order because Gerrard agrees to play a Liverpool youth 70% of the time.

Edited by trublusince1982

I think it's unusual in the UK for clubs to loan out so many players, but it's quite common in Italy, for example. 

Teams like Juventus loan players out for several years before they are ready to make first-team appearances for Juventus. They identify the talent and, as they can't develop them in their first-team, for obvious reasons, they loan them out. It makes sense. 

There is perhaps a line, though. Chelsea seemed like they were hoarding players, without really knowing whether they were ever good enough.

It's something we should be doing -- if the budget allows, of course.  

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

If he is better, I hope he does.  Middleton then has to accept the standards he must reach if he's to get into the team.  No-one is owed a place in the team, just because they've been here longer.  The best 11 should start.  That's the only way to motivate the others to reach the standard, because it's the only way they'll be picked.

I do accept the point that we need to develop our own, but part of developing our own is to put them in the right space mentally, and that should mean realisation of the standards we expect.  Nothing less should be tolerated, not even for a promising young talent like GM.

Having said all this, I hope Middleton rises to the challenge and grabs one of those starting shirts.  At least when he wears it he will know he deserves it because of his talent, rather than as a result of him being owed anything.

Yes rightly or wrongly I think that's the way we have to go if we're going to get back into that CL spot and reach the group stage. If our own developing talent simply can't attain the standards of a loanee then doesn't that mean they're not good enough for our purposes?

And doesn't pointing out to the youngster that this is the standard you have to attain to get into the team give them a target to aim for? And if they didn't have that target aren't they going to perhaps settle for less rather than working their socks off to attain the required standard? 

Herrera now officially gone.

A bit strange that in 2017 Ryan Kent supposedly signed a 5-year deal but TM still has him on the one only going till summer next year. Can't even find him on Liverpool's website amongst the first team or the academy sides ...

Edited by der Berliner

Ryan Kent makes me think of Patrick Roberts.

Sadiq makes me think of Edouard.

Coulibaly makes me think of Nticham (albeit not a loan)

Goldson/Katic can be compared to any of their defenders

What I’m getting at though is that the players mentioned above have all had similar if not better careers than their celtic counterparts.

Who knows if they will be a success but people really need to stop with the extreme view points.

As for Ryan Kent - a lot of specualtion regarding him joining celtic last season:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/02/0...-leeds-to-sign-exciting-25m-rated-talent-rya/

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/1...brendan-rodgers-to-double-deal-would-highlig/

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/2...-attention-to-ryan-kent-after-liverpool-reje/

HITC nonsense mind you but usually written based on social media opinion at the time.

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I don't know much about Kent, other than some have said he's a tricky, two-footed winger with a bit of pace. On paper it sounds good; we need more options up front. 

We need another forward and central creative player too.  

He looks good in the obligatory YouTube videos but getting sent home early from his loan at Freiburg then again getting sent home early from his loan at Bristol doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. As always will hope he can hit the ground running and prove his worth.

Hope has to be to see the midfield and forward starters increase in standard, not too sure it's going to happen though. Can only hope we have some surprises in the pipeline.