[FT] Rangers 1 - 0 Kilmarnock (Bates)

37 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

That 4-4-2 with Cummings-Morelos partnership didn't work

I didn’t see t but the report said Cummings was dropping deep a lot. I find that very frustrating, what’s the point in playing two up front if the strikers just drop deep anyway. 

48 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I didn’t see t but the report said Cummings was dropping deep a lot. I find that very frustrating, what’s the point in playing two up front if the strikers just drop deep anyway. 

The way they were playing in that first half, I don't think it would have mattered where they were on the pitch*.  Perhaps due to illness in Cumming's case.  Presumably that was his last time on the pitch for us unless he makes a speedy recovery (and is also selected ).

* I seem to remember a peach of a cross along the deck from Morelos in the second half.

Edited by SteveC

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

That 4-4-2 with Cummings-Morelos partnership didn't work against their 4-3-3.

We were better with McCrorie in the midfield three. McCrorie is better when he can make those tackles without worrying about being exposed. 

Goss was good too. He'd play every week for me. His control and passing is far superior to any other player we have.  

While agree with the latter bit, Cummings never really played with Morelos up top. We had them under pressure for the opening 20 mins or so, after that, we hardly got decent balls into the danger area so Cummings dropped deep and seemingly tried to set stuff up or collect the ball there. When Cummings went off, Morelos did likewise on occasion ... and we missed both strikers in the area. In essence, we lacked a real creator and passer, which only changed with Goss late in the game.

Edited by der Berliner

Poor from us today! a win is a win though, we need to be much better for our next two games. Oh! another piss poor performance from the referee although I am used to it by now and don't expect anything else!

5 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Credit though to JN for the change at HT when things weren’t working.

I was going to say that. Wasn't it great to have someone who saw where the problem was and changed it.

10 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

While agree with the latter bit, Cummings never really played with Morelos up top. We had them under pressure for the opening 20 mins or so, after that, we hardly got decent balls into the danger area so Cummings dropped deep and seemingly tried to set stuff up or collect the ball there. When Cummings went off, Morelos did likewise on occasion ... and we missed both strikers in the area. In essence, we lacked a real creator and passer, which only changed with Goss late in the game.

Cummings second touch was a tackle. Not Rangers class let him return to NF.

Am I looking too much into this? Jimmy Nicholl saying he hasn't seen McCrorie in the middle of the park, he has only seen him at CB!!, there is something seriously wrong if he doesn't know young Ross can play CM!!

On 5 May 2018 at 23:56, ian1964 said:

Am I looking too much into this? Jimmy Nicholl saying he hasn't seen McCrorie in the middle of the park, he has only seen him at CB!!, there is something seriously wrong if he doesn't know young Ross can play CM!!

McCrorie effectively changed the game when he came on in that defensive MF role. As per usual we were getting outnumbered in MF again. Second half with three in central MF we evened up the numbers with Killie in MF.

It also allowed Holt & especially Dorrans to push forward in what is both their more natural roles.

I wonder where this leaves RyanJack ? A new manager is bound to lookat his disciplinary record & start asking questions even if two of the four red cards got rescinded

Apart from the goal and the performances of Goss and McCrorie the rest was depressing stuff.   We need to take something from Tuesday's game and hope Hearts do us a favour.  I have the fear for Easter Road.