[FT] Aberdeen 1 - 1 Rangers (McCrorie 63)

• Frankie changed the title to Maslow Redefined: Rangers v Aberdeen preview

Prior to Murty getting removed from the dug-out, I couldn't see anything but an Aberdeen win.

Now that the change has been made in the dug-out and Jimmy Nicholl apparently gets to grips with the fact that Ross McCrorie can play in the midfield, then a possibility of taking something from the game comes into focus.

If Bates can solidfy the defence and McCrorie can do likewise in the midfield and give it better balance, then we certainly can take something but will we ?

The problem for me is that this team died a death in the last three OF matches and we have a bunch of individuals left who won't be able to win a battle if the opposition are in our faces and want it.

So, will Aberdeen be fully up for it and confident ?

Recent form says they probably will be but history says don't be so sure. 

In the 74 SPL/Premiership matches between the teams, they've only won 9 of them.

Of the two games left, I think this one is the more probable of a positive result but I'll be surprised if it happens.

The provisional squad is being reported from the DR as ...

Alnwich, Tavernier, Martin, Bates, Halliday, McCrorie, Holt, Candeias, Dorrans, Murphy, Morelos ... * ... Alves, Cardoso, Goss, Rossiter, Docherty, Cummings, Windass, Dodoo, Herrera.

I would assume Kelly is in there too, as we will have another goalie.

IMHO, we should try to stop Aberdeen from playing and frustrate them, hopefully spiced with quick counter attacks. Points is all that matters.

Alnwick

Tavernier - Martin - McCrorie - Bates - Halliday

Candeias - Holt - Docherty - Murphy

Morelos/Cummings

Packed defence and solid midfield when we defend. When we attack McCrorie and the fullbacks can join the midfield, Docherty the destroyer / water carrier, Candeias, Holt, and Murphy to exploit the spaces and join Morelos/Candeias up top. Dorrans has done far too little to get a straight starting slot. Bring Goss, Cummings, Windass or Dodoo on for late quick forays.

BTW, the game will be Live on LaolaTV http://www.laola1.tv/de-de/livestream/2018-05-08-aberdeen-fc-rangers-fc-lde

* Looks like a straight starting formation plus subs. Guesswork or ... ?

Edited by der Berliner

I don't doubt Aberdeen will be up for it and we can only hope we turn up tonight.

Not sure what the team will be (I doubt John will be fit enough to play) so the defence is likely to be unchanged.  Midfield is more interesting: Dorrans has been poor and, although he works hard, Holt doesn't being enough quality on the ball so there's definitely a chance at least one of them will make way for McCrorie (who has to temper his enthusiasm at times as well in the tackle).

Candeias and Murphy are probable as usual on the flanks but neither played very well on Saturday so I'm hoping they'll up their game tonight on a narrower pitch.  That leaves the front two (or 1-1) which I suspect will be one of Morelos and Cummings (both also poor at the weekend) and perhaps Dorrans behind them favoured over Windass.

Should be an open enough game but I can't say I'm all that confident despite our good performances over Aberdeen this season so far.  It's a must win though with arguably an even tougher match on Sunday.

23 minutes ago, pete said:

If we play with the 3 man midfield we will walk it. Murphy, Candeias and Windass are too much of the same and don't defend.

Tend to disagree with Murphy and Candeias re defending. I'd go with Holt and Docherty in midfield, as both can cover lots of space should our fullbacks venture forward. Holt is good at running into attacking spaces, only that we more or less mis-used him for two seasons.

This might actually be a game where WIndass could be useful in, as he will have space to exploit with his pace. Whether from the start remains to be seen. After all, Morelos and Cummings would have these same spaces too and it's time they start working together. Having said that, this will be Morelos' last game of the season, so he might get a start. And who knows, maybe we'll see Herrera too as the target man up front, something we hardly utilized this season in open games.

The Killie game was generally marred by slack passing and ball control from midfield to front. Made all the worse by Killie's resolute defending tactics, where every lost ball was snatched upon by waiting defenders.

30 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Alnwick

Tav Bates Alves Halliday

McCrorie Goss

Candeias Dorrans  Murphy

Morelos

Alves if fit over Martin, John if fit over Halliday

I would also like to see Docherty ahead of Dorrans.