[FT] Aberdeen 1 - 1 Rangers (McCrorie 63)

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

I would also like to see Docherty ahead of Dorrans.

Dorrnas for me is better in a forward role, he has goals in him and has been playing to deep, IMO.

Our lads tonight have to stand up and be counted we have had a decent run against Aberdeen under Murty so it's time to show the incoming management what they can do .

5 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Dorrnas for me is better in a forward role, he has goals in him and has been playing to deep, IMO.

Perhaps he does have potential for goals.  I don't have much confidence in him at the moment.  I agree he has been played out of position.

I would prefer to have Docherty's pace and fitness.

9 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

That's true, same with Holt, to a lesser extent. Pretty annoying that we shoe-horned both into these deeper roles. I'd have Docherty tonight to cope with Aberdeen's midfield.

18 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Tend to disagree with Murphy and Candeias re defending. I'd go with Holt and Docherty in midfield, as both can cover lots of space should our fullbacks venture forward. Holt is good at running into attacking spaces, only that we more or less mis-used him for two seasons.

This might actually be a game where WIndass could be useful in, as he will have space to exploit with his pace. Whether from the start remains to be seen. After all, Morelos and Cummings would have these same spaces too and it's time they start working together. Having said that, this will be Morelos' last game of the season, so he might get a start. And who knows, maybe we'll see Herrera too as the target man up front, something we hardly utilized this season in open games.

The Killie game was generally marred by slack passing and ball control from midfield to front. Made all the worse by Killie's resolute defending tactics, where every lost ball was snatched upon by waiting defenders.

Morelos looks done for this season and combinations with Cummings don't work.

We'd almost be better with Herrera and Cummings up front in a more conventional 'big man wee man' combination surprise.

Thing is, if Morelos got a real close season break followed by real hard and effective pre-season taken by the Scouse Jock Wallace.... we might already have a forward who would 'rip it up' next season.

Was talking about our lack of strikers at the weekend.

Morelos, Cummings, Herrera, O'Halloran, Dodoo and Miller all feature in the squad but for one reason or another only Morelos has played regularly enough to be considered effective and lately he's struggled also.

Along with two new centre halves, there's no doubt we need power, goals and mobility up front next season - especially if Morelos moves on.  Cummings may well stay (and that's probably sensible depending on his wage demands) but the rest will all probably leave.

The diamond has worked twice against Aberdeen this season so I don't see why we should change from it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42227914

I'd go with,

Alnwick

Tav  Bates Alves Halliday

McCrorie

Docherty    Holt

Murphy

Morelos    Windass (Cummings if Windass not available) 

Candeias and Dorrans could slot quite well into the diamond too. I know it's very unlikely, but switching to the diamond for the Aberdeen games with McCrorie in the holding role was something Murty was widely praised for.

Martin starting ahead of Alves is baffling and I hope it changes tonight.

Does Jimmy Nicholl know what positions the players play in yet?

In all seriousness, the sheep will be well up for this and our players have looked disinterested and heartless since the yahoos' 3rd goal at Ibrox.  I have very little faith in us beating Aberdeen or Hibs.  But agree, we should play the diamond again and drop Dorrans.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Does Jimmy Nicholl know what positions the players play in yet?

In all seriousness, the sheep will be well up for this and our players have looked disinterested and heartless since the yahoos' 3rd goal at Ibrox.  I have very little faith in us beating Aberdeen or Hibs.  But agree, we should play the diamond again and drop Dorrans.

I said before the Killie game I didn't fancy us to win the remaining games this season! we were poor against Killie but won, the sheep have not beaten us this season, have they scored against us? so I am going for a win tonight as it is away from Ibrox and we seem to have the upper hand against them.

Away to Hibs was always going to be the toughest match, and it is, however with a wee bit of luck the Jambos might beat Hibs tomorrow night? and maybe a few injuries as well :D