Parkhead title celebrations

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Sorry, I don't get it, what's wrong with that?

1 minute ago, der Berliner said:

I do not expect the French walk out of a football or rugby stadium and look for the next chap to slaughter. Same with TBB.

The word fen1an is another word for Roman Catholic. The French national anthem doesn't single out a race or religion for violence but TBB does.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

So what?  Great song with a good sentiment.  

As opposed to the terrorists the yahoos sing about.

it's a good song so we should just omit the "offending" line. Can't do it Europe though.  Don't think we did ourselves any favours on Sunday......it shifts the focus off the tims for the media

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

The word fen1an is another word for Roman Catholic. The French national anthem doesn't single out a race or religion for violence but TBB does.

And no-one will go out there and hunt a Roman-Catholic or an IRA supporter to wade in their blood either.

BTW, while TBB might have targeted the RCs in the 1920s, when the Rangers support sings about the Fs, not least these days, it is primarily against a) the (P)IRA terrorists so much adored by the Scum support's regalia  and b) their supporters amongst the Yahoos. In that respect, it is less sectarian than political.

EDIT: Just in case. I can live without that song, no problem. What I do dislike is the imbalance in viewing one as sectarian and charge people because of it, while an equally sectarian term refering to protestants is laughed about and trivialised.

Edited by der Berliner

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

No wonder we struggle when we have Bears talking crap like that.  It's a lie.

It doesn't matter what the word originally meant, today pretty much everybody understands it as a reference to someone being a catholic.

13 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

when the Rangers support sings about the Fs, not least these days, it is primarily against a) the (P)IRA terrorists

It doesn't matter what's intended, as long as the word in the song is a synonym to Catholic to most people it will be seen a song which promotes violence based on religion/race

12 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It doesn't matter what the word originally meant, today pretty much everybody understands it as a reference to someone being a catholic.

It doesn't matter what's intended, as long as the word in the song is a synonym to Catholic to most people it will be seen a song which promotes violence based on religion/race

Who are "most people"? Has the F-term a tradition in modern day Scotland to denote a RC chap? The public as a whole? I can't tell, but much like Tim, I always perceived this as either being a Northern irish thing or belongs to the glossary of the Old Firm supporters. Will your normal chap in Brechin of Stirling speak of fellow people as F's or rather as RCs? Or call a Protestant a H'n?

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Will your normal chap in Brechin of Stirling speak of fellow people as F's or rather as RCs?

No because it's obviously a derogatory term for an RC. As I've said, the key is that it singles out someone's religion as the reason for violence. If the argument is made that it's more to do with being Irish than religion then you're just moving from religion to race. It is clearly not commonly understood today to mean a republican or simply a Celtic fan.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

No, the word "fenían" has nothing at all to do with Catholicism, Roman or otherwise. Some people, for their own purposes, have tried long and hard to persuade you that it is ... to the extent they have effectively redefined the term ... such is the power of victimhood in our precious modern society ... but it isn't. Google says ...

"a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a 19th-century revolutionary nationalist organization among the Irish in the US and Ireland. The ******s staged an unsuccessful revolt in Ireland in 1867 and were responsible for isolated revolutionary acts against the British until the early 20th century, when they were gradually eclipsed by the IRA." 

No mention of Catholics. Of course we could always just change the words and say up to the knees in IRA blood ... would that do? xD