Parkhead title celebrations

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

No, the word "fenían" has nothing at all to do with Catholicism, Roman or otherwise. Some people, for their own purposes, have tried long and hard to persuade you that it is ... to the extent they have effectively redefined the term ... such is the power of victimhood in our precious modern society ... but it isn't. Google says ...

"a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a 19th-century revolutionary nationalist organization among the Irish in the US and Ireland. The ******s staged an unsuccessful revolt in Ireland in 1867 and were responsible for isolated revolutionary acts against the British until the early 20th century, when they were gradually eclipsed by the IRA." 

No mention of Catholics. Of course we could always just change the words and say up to the knees in IRA blood ... would that do? xD

As with most words Google and every dictionary provides more than one definiton and every single one of them include the defintion I've given with the title "Derogatory/Offensive" and that is the definition which is clearly in common usage in Glasgow.

I don't seem to be making any friends in this thread and I've got nothing to add so I think I'll bow out there.

14 minutes ago, DMAA said:

No because it's obviously a derogatory term for an RC. As I've said, the key is that it singles out someone's religion as the reason for violence. If the argument is made that it's more to do with being Irish than religion then you're just moving from religion to race. It is clearly not commonly understood today to mean a republican or simply a Celtic fan.

You skip the question ... and from experience I have hardly ever heard that the F-term refers to the Irish and with people I spoke rarely to RCs either. It was solely used to describe Irish Republicans, rebels, and the Yahoo support(ers of that).

Half a handful of people may remember a lecture about the F'enian Cycle or Irish Mythology, but those have even less to do with the folk the Scum sing about.

On 15/05/2018 at 16:46, Bill said:

No, the word "fenían" has nothing at all to do with Catholicism, Roman or otherwise. Some people, for their own purposes, have tried long and hard to persuade you that it is ... to the extent they have effectively redefined the term ... such is the power of victimhood in our precious modern society ... but it isn't. Google says ...

"a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a 19th-century revolutionary nationalist organization among the Irish in the US and Ireland. The ******s staged an unsuccessful revolt in Ireland in 1867 and were responsible for isolated revolutionary acts against the British until the early 20th century, when they were gradually eclipsed by the IRA." 

No mention of Catholics. Of course we could always just change the words and say up to the knees in IRA blood ... would that do? xD

I thought - and I've used good ol' Google to check - that it came from further back than the 19th century.

"The origin of the term f****n comes from Irish folklore (the word itself a derivative of Fianna, an ancient Irish goddess). It described an ancient group of Knights who were self-reliant and had a passion for Irish land. So great was their passion according to the legend, they gave up a chance for world dominion to keep Ireland."

And then it's linked to the 19th century story listed above by:

"This fit very closely with the beliefs of the modern movement and was taken as the organization name"

Earned my chufty badge for the day with that.

13 minutes ago, TheUKCrazyhorse said:

I thought - and I've used good ol' Google to check - that it came from further back than the 19th century.

"The origin of the term f****n comes from Irish folklore (the word itself a derivative of Fianna, an ancient Irish goddess). It described an ancient group of Knights who were self-reliant and had a passion for Irish land. So great was their passion according to the legend, they gave up a chance for world dominion to keep Ireland."

And then it's linked to the 19th century story listed above by:

"This fit very closely with the beliefs of the modern movement and was taken as the organization name"

Earned my chufty badge for the day with that.

giphy.gif

Just noted the Scum are leading Motherwell 2-0 and all the BBCeltland guys in uh-ah mode ... like

Can Rodgers go where Stein and Smith failed to tread?

HT: Celtic 2-0 Motherwell

As things stand, Celtic are 45 minutes from becoming the first side ever to win all of Scotland's three major domestic trophies - the league title, the League Cup, and the Scottish Cup - in successive seasons, the so-called 'double Treble'.

Two teams have previously come close to achieving the feat.

Jock Stein's Celtic, with six Lisbon Lions in their line-up, faltered at the final hurdle in 1970, losing 3-1 in the Scottish Cup final to an Aberdeen team that finished eighth in the league.

Walter Smith's Rangers, 12 months after almost reaching the European Cup final, succumbed 1-0 to Dundee United - who finished sixth in the league - in the 1994 final, having won the five previous domestic trophies.

Will we hear a whisper about the following stat though:

Transfer fees paid:

Starting XI - Scum FC - 13,21m

Starting XI - Motherwell FC - 10k

Transfer Markt - "relative market value":

Starting XI - Scum FC - 24,81m

Starting XI - Motherwell FC - 2,5m

I think not.

Moving on to today = I read that they are having an open top bus parade.  Thought that was not considered advisable in Glasgow, I hope any bear pubs on their route are well protected.   Can you imagine the response if we ever applied for one of these from the GCC?

Edited by SteveC