Michael O’Halloran suffers vile sectarian abuse after Catholic church visit

38 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I'm afraid that it's you that's twisting words with that statement.  Just because someone votes YES doesn't mean they hate the UK.  People will vote YES for all sorts of reasons.

People vote yes for only one reason - to break up the UK.

38 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

You always want to bring politics into football.  I wish you'd stop it.  It's counter productive and only segregates the support.  We are all Rangers fans.  Some of us will vote for parties that others don't like.  That's politics.  We all support Rangers.  That's football.  Let's not mix them up.

This is a topic about sectarian abuse, not football. In any case, the notion that you can isolate football from politics in Scotland, or vice versa, is a bit naive.

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

People vote yes for only one reason - to break up the UK.

This is a topic about sectarian abuse, not football. In any case, the notion that you can isolate football from politics in Scotland, or vice versa, is a bit naive.

Isn't it naive to think you can tell people why they voted a certain way.  Just because you can't think of it, there are other reasons.

Everytime you try to associate SNP or the YES voters with the enemy, you segregate 50% of our supporters.  That's what I'm asking you to stop.  It isn't helpful.  By all means attack idiotic politicians like Dornan and Humza for their blatant twisting of facts, but don't criticise your own fellow supporters for the decisions they take.

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

Isn't it naive to think you can tell people why they voted a certain way.  Just because you can't think of it, there are other reasons.

Such as ... for example? Let's see, there's a referendum with two options, yes or no to independence ... but you think there are all sorts of reasons for voting yes. Mental deficiency perhaps?

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

Everytime you try to associate SNP or the YES voters with the enemy, you segregate 50% of our supporters.  That's what I'm asking you to stop.  It isn't helpful.  By all means attack idiotic politicians like Dornan and Humza for their blatant twisting of facts, but don't criticise your own fellow supporters for the decisions they take.

Are you trying to say 50% of Rangers supporters vote for independence? I think naive might have been an understatement. xD You're seriously saying no Rangers supporter should ever criticise the SNP. I've heard it all now! 

3 hours ago, compo said:

There are more appropriate ways to show displeasure instead of acting like some kind of moronic thug .

Not meaning to start an argument, but show displeasure at what? The guy went to a school to speak to some kids. Its not like he went round the crowd at Ibrox trying to convert everyone.

Fact is, he's one of our players (at the moment, despite hardly playing) and for our own supporters (allegedly) to attack him is out of order.

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Such as ... for example? Let's see, there's a referendum with two options, yes or no to independence ... but you think there are all sorts of reasons for voting yes. Mental deficiency perhaps?

Are you trying to say 50% of Rangers supporters vote for independence? I think naive might have been an understatement. xD You're seriously saying no Rangers supporter should ever criticise the SNP. I've heard it all now! 

Bill, you're now being insulting and there is no need for that.  This is exactly what happens when you divide a support and you should stop this.  My friends voted YES because they wanted Scotland to have more devolved powers, not to break up the UK.  That's not the point though.  You are being insulting to your own support.  Why?!?

As for me suggesting that around 50% of Rangers fans voted for the SNP, or YES, I say that because I think our fans are pretty much representative of the wider electorate so it seems a sensible assumption to make.  As for criticising the SNP, again I don't know why you put words in my mouth.  I don't know what the SNP or any other party is doing to our club but if you point that out, then certainly that party deserves criticism.

I repeat this, you are being insulting and divisive for some reason.  It seems inconceivable to you that our support don't share your politics.  That's naive.  Let's get back to the topic and stop this segregation.  We have enough enemies without you creating more division within the support.

Edited by Gaffer

2 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Bill, you're now being insulting and there is no need for that.  This is exactly what happens when you divide a support and you should stop this.  My friends voted YES because they wanted Scotland to have more devolved powers, not to break up the UK.  That's not the point though.  You are being insulting to your own support.  Why?!?

As for me suggesting that around 50% of Rangers fans voted for the SNP, or YES, I say that because I think our fans are pretty much representative of the wider electorate so it seems a sensible assumption to make.  As for criticising the SNP, again I don't know why you put words in my mouth.  I don't know what the SNP or any other party is doing to our club but if you point that out, then certainly that party deserves criticism.

I repeat this, you are being insulting and divisive for some reason.  It seems inconceivable to you that our support don't share your politics.  That's naive.  Let's get back to the topic and stop this segregation.  We have enough enemies without you creating more division within the support.

My dear precious wee flower, I have insulted no one. I've used no bad language and I've made no accusations. Perhaps you didn't like the humour but I think what you are so upset about is that I have challenged your claims that people voted in a binary independence referendum for reasons other than breaking up the UK. I've also challenged your claim that 50% of Rangers fans voted for independence. You clearly don't like being challenged.

Instead of getting all weepy and petulant, why not provide some evidence or reasonable analysis to support your claims. It might be more appropriate than getting your pretendy-offendy hat on. Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

My dear precious wee flower, I have insulted no one. I've used no bad language and I've made no accusations. Perhaps you didn't like the humour but I think what you are so upset about is that I have challenged your claims that people voted in a binary independence referendum for reasons other than breaking up the UK. I've also challenged your claim that 50% of Rangers fans voted for independence. You clearly don't like being challenged.

Instead of getting all weepy and petulant, why not provide some evidence or reasonable analysis to support your claims. It might be more appropriate than getting your pretendy-offendy hat on. Cheers.

You think your posts aren't insulting?  You think this post isn't insulting?  You've made no accusations?  I obviously don't get this humour then.  Having said that, if you're trying to be divisive, you've won.  Congratulations.

The problem we have here is that we are totally vulnerable to media attack (again!) if the press deem ‘Twitter attacks’ as newsworthy.

What is to stop any journalist making up a profile, plastering it with Rangers references and then abusing a player. They are making their ‘news’ easily.

3 minutes ago, StuGers said:

The problem we have here is that we are totally vulnerable to media attack (again!) if the press deem ‘Twitter attacks’ as newsworthy.

What is to stop any journalist making up a profile, plastering it with Rangers references and then abusing a player. They are making their ‘news’ easily.

You're right, there's nothing stopping them from doing it.  We've got a culture of people (including those in the press) knowing and defending their rights, but very little done to know and respect their responsibilities.  The press has freedom to write its stories, but with that should come a responsibility to do it sensibly.  No one trusts the press anymore.  At one stage it was a valued service.  Now, thanks to the laziness and corruption it's a laughing stock.  Does anyone really go to a newspaper for real transfer news, or insights about tactics, or anything like that? Not a chance.  These guys know nothing about our game because they spend all their time writing superficial nonsense.

The press sickened me a long time ago and I have not bought a newspaper for nearly 20 years now.  I won't buy them because they're not news, they're just about 'entertainment'.  If you want the news these days, you need to get it from trusted sources, not newspapers or many of the tv channels.  The press in Scotland is about as lazy as I've ever witnessed.  They'll make stories up from their desks for two reasons.  The first is that it's easy, they're lazy, and they can get away with it.  The second reason is because it's what the mindless morons that make up their readership want.  They'll accept as much anti Rangers stuff (whether true or fabricated) as any newspaper can provide.  These rags have already started to decline and I hope I'm alive long enough to see the end for them.  In the meantime, there's no point in going anywhere other than the Rangers forums (and Gersnet in particular) to get the real news about all things to do with our club.  Most of these lazy writers get their real stories from here anyway.