Graeme Souness: 'Not impossible' for Gerrard to beat Celtic to the title

If we can start beating Celtc and sorting out our home form, we should be pushing them all the way.

I doubt we'll be able to judge whether that's likely to happen until we've played a handful of competitive games under Gerrard.

8 minutes ago, aweebluesoandso said:

Cheating refs done us for six points and the incompetent refs done us for another six points. 

Which all on it’s own closes the gap. 

In my honest opinion, and this might be an unpopular opinion, but if Gerrard can make this team competitive with Celtic and win a few games against them, along with a cup win then he'll have a good enough reason to stay on and build on that. Of course, anything can happen and we could well go on and win it in Gerrard's first season in charge but if he can get that fear factor back, be competitive with Celtic, giving them a close run for the majority of the season then I say that's good progress made, giving us something to build on. Overall, I'm optimistic about the coming season.

Edited by RTB2004

My fear is that expectations will be far too high, any dropped points will be treated as a disaster and if we fall behind Celtic then the fans will turn on the team and manager.  The pressure will increase, the players will fold and we’ll be looking for a new manager by January.

It doesn’t take much effort to imagine such a scenario as it’s the pattern we’ve followed since we came back up.

I'm confident but that's just part of being a typical lifelong fan especially so after the events and disappointments of recent years. But if Gerrard doesn't bring instant success I don't want the same manager merry go round to continue. Give him at least a couple of seasons.

I feel he may even be the kind of guy who might resign if it wasn't working out and he didn't think he could turn it around. We have a guy for whom a job/money is irrelevant. He already has more money than he could ever spend so is doing this reasons other than a job/money. That's a good thing in the circumstances.

But in the meantime. Let's go.

6 hours ago, Unicorn said:

My fear is that expectations will be far too high, any dropped points will be treated as a disaster and if we fall behind Celtic then the fans will turn on the team and manager.  The pressure will increase, the players will fold and we’ll be looking for a new manager by January.

It doesn’t take much effort to imagine such a scenario as it’s the pattern we’ve followed since we came back up.

Expectation management is important and really needs to come from Gerrard himself.

He started well saying that it's about Rangers and looking to improve things, forget Celtic for the time being (apart from when we play them).

I think we need to see a better quality of player/an improvement in the squad both on paper and on the field.

Therefore an improvement in our consistency of result.

No embarrasment in Europe. If we go out in the qualifiers to a better team (and there are many, eg. Sevilla, Zenit, etc.) so be it.

We need to get a result against Celtic. First OF match is away and a doing has to be avoided.

After all the shit we have been through, aslong as there is a visible improvement, we'll stick with SG, looking for him to build further.

Looking at SG and the length of his contract, the main hope/expectation as far as I see it.....is to win a League title or in other words, stop 10IAR.

If we keep chopping and changing every season, we have no chance.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't win the league - Last season finished with a 12 point difference (9 of a difference to Aberdeen)...that's not a massive difference to overcome.  Essentially that equates to the 4 OF games ONLY!!!

If SG can bring in more consistency & shore up the defense, as a result we should be dropping less points.  We scored a lot of goals last season, but we HAD to due to the number we were letting in.

Ceptic's consistency level last season dropped considerably....I don't believe that the gap (on the pitch) is as big as folk make out.  Ceptic could go out & spend £M's on new players, but I doubt they will.  They will most likely make only subtle changes & additions.

Our focus next season must be on the rest of the league - the OF games will look after themselves.  We need to completely dominate teams from the 1st whistle to the last.  If we do that, you never know what might happen....

1 hour ago, Darthter said:

There is absolutely no reason why we can't win the league - Last season finished with a 12 point difference (9 of a difference to Aberdeen)...that's not a massive difference to overcome.  Essentially that equates to the 4 OF games ONLY!!!

If SG can bring in more consistency & shore up the defense, as a result we should be dropping less points.  We scored a lot of goals last season, but we HAD to due to the number we were letting in.

Ceptic's consistency level last season dropped considerably....I don't believe that the gap (on the pitch) is as big as folk make out.  Ceptic could go out & spend £M's on new players, but I doubt they will.  They will most likely make only subtle changes & additions.

Our focus next season must be on the rest of the league - the OF games will look after themselves.  We need to completely dominate teams from the 1st whistle to the last.  If we do that, you never know what might happen....

It's actually only TWO OF games if you take 2 defeats from last season and turn them into wins....

14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Which all on it’s own closes the gap. 

Only if it changes, plus they didn't win games that they probably would have if they had needed to do so - in addition to the one(s?) they lost because it hurt us.

It's impossible to judge from point tallies in non-competitive seasons.  We had a couple of years in our (latest) 9-in-a-row where our points tallies and many of our results were utterly shocking - but we didn't care because we knew we'd won it before it had even started.

Edited by SteveC