Europa League QR3: Rangers / Maribor v FC Ufa / Progres

9 minutes ago, 917 said:

I think we need a wee reality check here. It’s a fair bet that Osijek have better players than us, so I don’t know why everybody seems to be expecting an easy game. Croatia have just got to the World Cup final ffs. Scotland haven’t even qualified for 20 years, and our Scottish players can’t even get into their squad at the moment. Osijek are seeded for a reason. It would be a huge achievement to beat them. Steven Gerrard has already done better than a Caixinha by beating a better team than Progres were, so I hope he isn’t going to get stick if we lose.

And as for Maribor, they have knocked out us, Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen in recent years, so I don’t think they would be fearing us either..

I don't think Osijek necessarily have better players than we do simply because Croatia reached the world cup final. Any quality players from Croatia will not be playing there. I just checked the two Croatian scorers from the world cup final as an example, Perišić and Mandžukić

Perišić plays for Inter and Mandžukić for Juventus.

1 hour ago, craig said:

I don’t think we are done yet.  I’m expecting at least another striker and possibly even a CB.

Hopefully that is the bare minimum Craig. There is speculation linking us with Mark Beevers from Bolton. Surely a back-up squad addition but if it is accurate, the Warburton undertones that people have been moaning about, may be more well founded than some are willing to give them credit for.

59 minutes ago, 917 said:

I think we need a wee reality check here. It’s a fair bet that Osijek have better players than us, so I don’t know why everybody seems to be expecting an easy game. Croatia have just got to the World Cup final ffs. Scotland haven’t even qualified for 20 years, and our Scottish players can’t even get into their squad at the moment. Osijek are seeded for a reason. It would be a huge achievement to beat them. Steven Gerrard has already done better than a Caixinha by beating a better team than Progres were, so I hope he isn’t going to get stick if we lose.

And as for Maribor, they have knocked out us, Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen in recent years, so I don’t think they would be fearing us either..

To be honest when Maribor beat us we were just totally unfit. McCoist went to Portugal on holiday and brought the players in just 2 weeks before the game.

5 hours ago, pete said:

To be honest when Maribor beat us we were just totally unfit. McCoist went to Portugal on holiday and brought the players in just 2 weeks before the game.

Aren'y you thinking of Malmo ?

Bit more than two weeks given we played our first friendly 19 days before the first leg.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Aren'y you thinking of Malmo ?

Bit more than two weeks given we played our first friendly 19 days before the first leg.

Possibly getting mixed up as I doubted it myself. i just remember I was fuming he went on Holiday when we should have been training

Yeah, I was about to mention that we totally underestimated NK Maribor during that tie coupled with the fact that we looked seriously deflated after exiting the CL to Malmo.

Seem to recall Davie Weir looking every bit his age during the game at Ibrox.

44 minutes ago, pete said:

Possibly getting mixed up as I doubted it myself. i just remember I was fuming he went on Holiday when we should have been training

We had a training camp in Germany where we were very unconvincing in the friendlies we played (3 defeats and no goals) and lo and behold, we took that same form into the Malmo first leg at Ibrox (another defeat and no goals) with a clueless looking McCoist stood at the touchline with his arms folded.

1 minute ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Yeah, I was about to mention that we totally underestimated NK Maribor during that tie coupled with the fact that we looked seriously deflated after exiting the CL to Malmo.

Seem to recall Davie Weir looking every bit his age during the game at Ibrox.

Malmo tie was mainly lost at Ibrox and then Whittakers early and silly sending off in the second leg meant we were swimming against the tide and going uphill !

We were doing ok in Maribor (first leg), 1-1 into injurytime then made a stupid error and ended up losing the game and the initiative.

Just now, buster. said:

We had a training camp in Germany where we were very unconvincing in the friendlies we played (3 defeats and no goals) and lo and behold, we took that same form into the Malmo first leg at Ibrox (another defeat and no goals) with a clueless looking McCoist stood at the touchline with his arms folded.

I am not sure if it was the same year but I was at one of those games. the players came donering on to the field in bath slippers while the German amateur team were long started on a warming up. We got humped 3-1 by an amateur team.