Europa League QR3: Rangers / Maribor v FC Ufa / Progres

5 hours ago, craig said:

Jack has been our best player thus far.  Was certainly our best player last week against Schkupi - I have no issue with SG playing Jack ahead of McCrorie - McCrorie has looked off the pace so far this season to me.  Not a knock on the lad, but Jack has looked far more comfortable and has been far more influential.

Bang on the money about Ryan Jack. After last week he would be first name on the team sheet for me. 

Just watched the last half hour of Chikhura Sachkhere v Maribor, finished 0-0.

CS not as poor as I thought they might be and Maribor not as good.

Tie not over if the Georgians can travel ok.

The Georgians should have won it but lacked quality middle to front.

Maribor, big physical and organised but not a lot more in the away leg a long way from hame.

One of the Maribor players got his second booking in the tournament.

13 hours ago, Bill said:

Bang on the money about Ryan Jack. After last week he would be first name on the team sheet for me. 

I agree that there are now some simple decisions for the manager to make in his selection.  Previously, the team has picked itself because we've lacked quality players and just didn't have a choice, but now (especially in midfield) some of the team is picking itself because of the performances.  Jack and Coulibaly will be difficult to remove and that surely has to be good for McCrorie and Rossiter to see and learn from.  Goldson has also cemented his place in the team.  He is looking like the signing of the year for me.  And thankfully Morelos is looking sharp again.  So out of the 10 outfield positions (obviously MacGregor is the goalie), 4 are locked out for these guys.  The other positions are up for grabs at the moment.

3 hours ago, compo said:

First away win in Europe for many a year well done but we would be silly to think the tie is over .

This tie is far from over.  As Gerrard himself said, we can't win it in the first leg, but we could have lost it.  We've put ourselves in a great position and this is how the more experienced teams navigate through European competitions.  As we've discussed, they are a very technically gifted side and can damage most teams (as their European history shows), but for the first time in a long time we are showing signs that we can manage these games out.  One thing is for sure ..... Ibrox will be rocking for the return leg.  We can do our part to help the team through to the next round.  And let's be honest, we would all have been delighted at that before the Shkupi game.  Even if we then go out to Maribor (which the rankings would suggest is the likely outcome), it'll show a huge improvement on last season.  I'm buzzing for this next Osijek game though.  It can't come quickly enough for me.

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

This tie is far from over.  As Gerrard himself said, we can't win it in the first leg, but we could have lost it.  We've put ourselves in a great position and this is how the more experienced teams navigate through European competitions.  As we've discussed, they are a very technically gifted side and can damage most teams (as their European history shows), but for the first time in a long time we are showing signs that we can manage these games out.  One thing is for sure ..... Ibrox will be rocking for the return leg.  We can do our part to help the team through to the next round.  And let's be honest, we would all have been delighted at that before the Shkupi game.  Even if we then go out to Maribor (which the rankings would suggest is the likely outcome), it'll show a huge improvement on last season.  I'm buzzing for this next Osijek game though.  It can't come quickly enough for me.

Far from over,..........If they were to score the first goal then it's not only level but they have the opportunity to get a second away goal and make things really difficult.

I think we need to prioritise defence rather than going all out for goals because we are at home.

ie. Attack, yes but be very careful (and disciplined) not to leave the back door ajar as sometimes can be the case. 

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Far from over,..........If they were to score the first goal then it's not only level but they have the opportunity to get a second away goal and make things really difficult.

I think we need to prioritise defence rather than going all out for goals because we are at home.

ie. Attack, yes but be very careful (and disciplined) not to leave the back door ajar as sometimes can be the case. 

I said similar over in the match threat...I get the impression that SG is setting up to be solid in Mid & Def - difficult & frustrating for the opposition, but with the ability to break quickly when the opportunity arises.

41510371-map-location-and-flags-of-the-f

From Macedonia in the South to Slovenia in the North, via Croatia...........

....and it just happens that a potential play-off round has the possibility of 2 Serbian teams being in the other half of the draw.

There is a 'T-Shirt' design in this.

----------------------------------------------------------

Draw or the 4th round is on Monday.

For the draw of the 4th round the 26 teams are probably divided into 2 groups of 8 teams and 1 groups of 10 teams.

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2018.html

The list below presumes the highest seed of the 3rd round ties will get through. eg. Maribor, who have a high enough co-ff. to be in the seeded part of 4th round draw. This means if we get through, we will already have benefitted from being seeded in 4th round draw.

Potential opponents in 4th round for Rangers/Maribor would come from 3rd round ties played by teams on the right hand side of graphic below. The teams listed being higher seeded than 3rd round opponents but with no  guarantee of getting through.

4th Qualifying Round (26 teams)
Seeded teams                   coef.              Unseeded teams                 coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
Sevilla **               Esp 113.000              Rapid Wien *3            Aut  21.500
Zenit St. Petersburg *3  Rus  78.000              RB Leipzig **            Ger  17.000
FC Basel @2              Sui  71.000              Partizan Belgrade *      Srb  17.000
Besiktas **              Tur  57.000              Burnley FC **            Eng  15.921
Olympiakos Piraeus *3    Gre  54.000              NK Rijeka *3             Cro  15.500
FC København *           Den  34.000              Atalanta **              Ita  15.249
Sporting Braga *3        Por  30.500              Molde FK *               Nor  12.500
FCSB **                  Rom  27.500              Girondins Bordeaux **    Fra  11.283
AA Gent *3               Bel  27.000              FC Ufa **                Rus  10.676
Racing Genk **           Bel  27.000              Apollon Limassol *       Cyp  10.000
NK Maribor *             Slo  22.500              Sturm Graz @2            Aut   6.570
Maccabi Tel-Aviv *       Isr  22.500              Spartak Subotica *       Srb   3.750
Feyenoord *3             Ned  21.500              Kairat Almaty *          Kaz   3.625

NK Maribor

ljudski-vrt-football-stadium-moribor-slo

maribor-la-plaza-principal-eslovenia-671

Home record in Europa League since 2016

Thu 14/07/16 UEL Maribor 0 - 0 Levski Sofia   More info
Thu 04/08/16 UEL Maribor 1 - 0 Aberdeen View events More info
Thu 25/08/16 UEL Maribor 1 - 0 Qəbələ View events More info
Thu 19/07/18 UEL Maribor 2 - 0 Partizani Tirana View events More info
Thu 02/08/18 UEL Maribor 2 - 0 Chikhura View events More info
Thu 16/08/18 UEL Maribor - Rangers

Away record in Europa League since 2016

Thu 21/07/16 UEL Levski Sofia 1 - 1 Maribor View events More info
Thu 28/07/16 UEL Aberdeen 1 - 1 Maribor View events More info
Thu 18/08/16 UEL Qəbələ 3 - 1 Maribor View events More info
Thu 12/07/18 UEL Partizani Tirana 0 - 1 Maribor View events More info
Thu 26/07/18 UEL Chikhura 0 - 0 Maribor   More info
Thu 09/08/18 UEL Rangers 20 : 45 Maribor

CL Group 2017/18

#     Team MP W D L F A D P Last 5 H2H
1     Liverpool FC Liverpool 6 3 3 0 23 6 +17 12 WDWWD  
2     Sevilla FC Sevilla 6 2 3 1 12 12 +0 9 DDWLW  
3     FK Spartak Moskva Spartak Moskva 6 1 3 2 9 13 -4 6 LDLWD  
4     NK Maribor Maribor 6 0 3 3 3 16 -13 3 DDLLL  

3 September 20171 Maribor Slovenia 1–1 Russia Spartak Moscow showMaribor, Slovenia
26 September 20172 Sevilla Spain 3–0 Slovenia Maribor showSeville, Spain
17 October 20173  Maribor Slovenia 0–7 England Liverpool showMaribor, Slovenia
1 November 20174 Liverpool England 3–0 Slovenia Maribor showLiverpool, England
21 November 20175 Spartak Moscow Russia 1–1 Slovenia Maribor showMoscow, Russia
6 December 20176 Maribor Slovenia 1–1 Spain Sevilla

CL Qualifying 17/18

Wed 12/07/17 UCL Zrinjski 1 - 2 Maribor View events More info
              More info
Wed 19/07/17 UCL Maribor 1 - 1 Zrinjski View events More info
              More info
Wed 26/07/17 UCL Maribor 1 - 0 FH View events More info
              More info