Europa League QR3: Rangers / Maribor v FC Ufa / Progres

3 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Thomas Cook statement.

Rangers have drawn clubs in Macedonia, Croatia, and Slovenia. 

Once again, we cannot provide a travel package as Slovenia also ends in, 'ia'.

Alternative

We are all Tit(o)s and don't do trips to the disfigured Yugoslavia.

TC

Edited by buster.

• Frankie changed the title to Europa League: NK Osijek / Rangers v Chikhura Sachkhere / Maribor

First leg at home if we make it through. 9th August at Ibrox with return leg in Maribor/Georgia on 16th August.

The absolute best draw we could have got. I know Maribor beat us in 2011 (disgraceful performance under Ally) but if were to have any chance of making it through to the 4th round, we couldnt have got it much better than the Croats followed by Maribor.

It is 2 ties against sides that our football budget is massive compared to our opponents, and while money doesnt buy you guarantees, we have to believe for the investment in our squad over the last year or two we should be capable of winning ties like these. It will be down to the players and management to see if we do so.

We can complain about not being able to compete with the Sevilles and Arsenals of this tournament, but we can have no such complaints about these three opponents (Shkupi already been dealt with!) in qualifying.

On another good note, I dont go on holiday until 14th August so I will make the first leg at Ibrox should we overcome the Croats!!

19 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Maribor are seeded as well - so I believe we would take their seeding in the Play off round.

Best draw we could of hoped for.

Good point and it provides a chink of light towards potential group stages.

Getting over the Osijek hurdle might be more difficult than a potential tie against Maribor given where we are in terms of 'readiness'.

#IfsButs&Maybes

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

First leg at home if we make it through. 9th August at Ibrox with return leg in Maribor/Georgia on 16th August.

The absolute best draw we could have got. I know Maribor beat us in 2011 (disgraceful performance under Ally) but if were to have any chance of making it through to the 4th round, we couldnt have got it much better than the Croats followed by Maribor.

It is 2 ties against sides that our football budget is massive compared to our opponents, and while money doesnt buy you guarantees, we have to believe for the investment in our squad over the last year or two we should be capable of winning ties like these. It will be down to the players and management to see if we do so.

We can complain about not being able to compete with the Sevilles and Arsenals of this tournament, but we can have no such complaints about these three opponents (Shkupi already been dealt with!) in qualifying.

On another good note, I dont go on holiday until 14th August so I will make the first leg at Ibrox should we overcome the Croats!!

Ooohhhhhhh, don't get me all excited..... I will be home on August 9th.... I will be travelling back from Paris when we play the 2nd leg against Osijek on the 2nd... Damn, I will be on tenterhooks.....

Osijek will NOT be easy - and the very fact I will be home for a potential European game absolutely guarantees we will get knocked out by Osijek.  Sorry boys.  Don't book your Slovenian trips just yet...

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I'd have Olympiakos above both Feyenoord and Bordeaux.

Tough draw, either way.

I largely based my division on their transfer values over the past few years and transfermarket’s valuation of their squads. Bordeaux were well ahead but it’s not the most solid criteria. 

Anyway, fantastic draw, the ball is in our court!

Edited by DMAA