Europa League QR3: Rangers / Maribor v FC Ufa / Progres

10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I get where you're coming from but it would still be the easiest draw geographically and otherwise and a chance to wipe off that stain.

But it wouldn't wipe it off. The Berwick stain remains although we've beaten them since. 

14 minutes ago, SteveC said:

But it wouldn't wipe it off. The Berwick stain remains although we've beaten them since. 

To be fair, we've had so many European humiliations, the Progres result was just another to add to the long list.

We're still hearing about Berwick 50 years later but I can't even remember the name of that Lithvakian pub team who hammered us at Ibrox in the much more recent past.

5 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

To be fair, we've had so many European humiliations, the Progres result was just another to add to the long list.

We're still hearing about Berwick 50 years later but I can't even remember the name of that Lithvakian pub team who hammered us at Ibrox in the much more recent past.

They'd be ecpected to beat Progres though, would they not? I thought Progres were down near the foot of the rankings 

Berwick will never be forgotten because we had a truly great team on the park. (And unfortunately playing cards until the wee hours on the morning of it - according to Bud - driving too, doubtless ) 

That was my first year of going to games regularly and, as I have  said on here before, it was our most highly placed team in any objective European ranking. We beat Dortmund and would've beat Bayern in any country other than Germany and would have even there had it not been for, yes... Berwick. 

Edited by SteveC

There should be no reason to want to avoid the seemingly easiest possible draw because of a past contrary result against that side. It's still the easiest draw in what will be our first competitive game under Gerrard.

It's a must win and win comfortably for him or he will be instantly likened to Pedro. I'm confident he will have them up for it.