Rangers set to host revamped fan zone at Ibrox ahead of first home game

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's a form of treachery, in my view.  

Dornan is what he is.  All we can do is repeatedly point out his hypocrisy and double standards and hope Scots who vote for him and his pals develop some sense.

It’s not the same Dornan you are thinking of.... that one is James Dornan! Self appointed sectarian czar.

4 minutes ago, craig said:

It’s not the same Dornan you are thinking of.... that one is James Dornan! Self appointed sectarian czar.

Yes this is Stephan Dornan. Has as much a tim face though.

Stephen Dornan

Excuse my ignorance on this, but I don't understand what it is we are proposing.

Are we proposing to change that area into a permanent fan zone, meaning we remove the pitch?  If that's the case, I too would object to it if I was on the community council.  I'd be asking for Rangers to provide an alternative and improved facility somewhere nearby.

Or are we asking to use it on matchdays, but retain the pitch so that it can be used the other days?  If this is the case, I just don't get the objection.  Having a fan zone there will do much more to encourage kids to take an interest in football.

I honestly don't know what our proposal is.  Can anyone tell me?

What makes me laugh though is the notion that kids can get access to these facilities in this country anyway.  Most facilities like this are locked up and the only way you get access is if you pay the expensive hiring rates.  The only people able to do this are the older adults, and the very same ones who are more than likely to be attending our match at Ibrox.  I'd be more inclined to support the community council's position if they lobbied the council to make these pitches affordable for kids.  For most kids, the only time they'll get a chance to stand on that area is if Rangers' proposal is accepted.

Rangers are actively attempting to establish new, much needed revenue streams. The Fanzone is an excellent idea, it ticks a lot of boxes for both the club and support. Rangers are proposing to hire the pitch every other Saturday(between the hours of 11am to 7pm), to set up the necessary administration to run a Fanzone ie awnings, marquees, child play areas/activities, .... etc. Glasgow City Council were happy with the arrangements and the proposal looked set to be given approval.

Two local Councillors, Stephen Dornan and Ricky Bell(both SNP) decided against the proposal; Bell advertised for objections to the proposal. He participates on the Cessnock/Ibrox Community Council, and utlised this organisation as the main means of objection. It's a text book copy of Resident Association tactics so often used in Northern Ireland. Both Dornan and Bell are driving forces behind the Ibrox Parking Restrictions policy. They want to use the Rangers support as a revenue raiser, whilst denying the club the opportunity to do likewise.

25 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

It's a text book copy of Resident Association tactics so often used in Northern Ireland. 

Unsurprising.  The SNP's best mates, Sinn Fein, no doubt passed on their modus operandi textbook.

Big problem I see as I think  it is an artificial pitch is keeping it free from damage e.g. from smokers stubbing out cigarette ends etc.other than pitch damage can't understand objections other than agreeing 26th and Gunslinger posts.