Rangers set to host revamped fan zone at Ibrox ahead of first home game

Leaving aside SNP bias, surely the club should be developing our own property. The existing area for the 'Fan Zone' wouldn't take too much capital expenditure to be made more suitable and user friendly would it? Presumably the only drawback would be its capacity issues?

39 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Leaving aside SNP bias, surely the club should be developing our own property. The existing area for the 'Fan Zone' wouldn't take too much capital expenditure to be made more suitable and user friendly would it? Presumably the only drawback would be its capacity issues?

Rangers are going ahead with the plans. Only the first one is cancelled. it is a pity as that area was actually targeted as a kids play area.

I may be completely wrong here, but....

The objection came from the Community council - I'm assuming that is the Ibrox & Cessnock Community council (http://ibroxcessnockcc.weebly.com/)

According to that website, Clr Stephen Dornan (SNP) does not sit on the Community council - he represents the Govan Ward (along with Clr Richard Bell (SNP), Bailie John Kane (labour) & Clr Allan young (Greens) ) within the Glasgow city council (local Govt).  All of whom were democratically elected by the residents of the area to represent them)

Therefore, as a local Govt councilor, he is simply acting on the objection of a local community organisation, which does NOT have affiliation (as far as I'm aware) to ANY political party.  

If ANYONE questioning the actions of the Community Council, which I'm pretty certain is representative of the people who live in the Ibrox & Cessnock community, who were presumably asked about the proposals???

Edited by Darthter

If that community council is representative of the people in the area then it will be unique. Community councils are unelected cliques of hand picked clones. They have a given right to lodge planning objections but the local planning committee is under no obligation to agree with them.

Edited by Bill

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

If that community council is representative of the people in the area then it will be unique. Community councils are unelected cliques of hand picked clones. They have a given right to lodge planning objections but the local planning committee is under no obligation to agree with them.

The point being that no-one it questioning the allegiances or motives of the entity that actually lodged the objection!!!!  Have the club approached the Community Council???  Get them involved in the Matchday stuff, in other ventures etc.  It would show that the club are actively working to help & enhance the local area. 

Instead it would appear to be open season on various councilors, who appear to be simply doing their jobs.....

I also notice that folk are immediately jumping on the SNP councillors....what about the Labour & Green councilors that are also responsible for the area????

I dont care which political party these cretins represent, they are purely using this as a way to vent their sectarian hatred for our club under the guise of doing something for the community.

The argument is a futile one, but it has of course gained traction in the MSM due to it being against Rangers. 

It is not the colour of their rosette that makes then anti-Rangers, it is their sectarian upbringing. Replace them with another of the same rosette if you like, as long as they have no hatred for our club if they are going to represent the ward that our club resides in.

12 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Been saying the same on here for the last umteen years, especially C1872 after the share issue.  They should utilise their funds to purchase land or property that can enhance the club footprint and be utilised for the fans or the club itself.

10 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I dont care which political party these cretins represent, they are purely using this as a way to vent their sectarian hatred for our club under the guise of doing something for the community.

The argument is a futile one, but it has of course gained traction in the MSM due to it being against Rangers. 

It is not the colour of their rosette that makes then anti-Rangers, it is their sectarian upbringing. Replace them with another of the same rosette if you like, as long as they have no hatred for our club if they are going to represent the ward that our club resides in.

my understanding of this, is that it's not the rosette-wearers that are the problem - the objection came from the Community Council, who are not ACTUAL councillors.

Rather than folk jumping on the media bandwagon & go after the City Councilors, engage with the Community Council, find out their objections & work towards a solution that all parties are happy with.

It's the same as a neighbour objecting to your new house extension, then blaming the council for rejecting planning permission. 

32 minutes ago, Darthter said:

I also notice that folk are immediately jumping on the SNP councillors

Perhaps because of Dornan's comments.

"My concern is that these matches are controlled by the likes of Sky Sports. If you look at the football schedules the pitch would never be available for kids football ever again.

Rangers should be investing in youth football in the area. They shouldn’t be trying to replace it with burgers and booze."

Did any of the Labour or Green councillors issue such as statement?

Anyone who thinks the SNP are anything but enemies of Rangers FC is delusional.  That doesn't mean other politicians don't dislike us either, mind you.