Gerrard doesn't want patience from Rangers fans

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think we’re losing the path here. The issue isn’t whether or not Gerrard will get time in the job but whether fans will show patience. 

We all know the answer to that.  Whether we agree on it or not is a different thing altogether.

However, to try to get this thread back on track - I am actually encouraged by his statement.  If you look at it, look at how far behind Celtic we realistically are, a new manager coming in would be highly likely to say "I need time to put my own stamp on this team". 

Gerrard is doing the complete opposite.  He is saying "don't give me time.  This club deserves to be winning.  Hold me accountable.  I am ready.  I believe I am good enough, and my players will be good enough, to be successful".

I like his style - he isn't taking second as being good enough - he is a born winner, and successful or not, his desire to win will be total.  May or may not happen but it wont be for lack of him trying to place high standards and expectations on the players - he clearly is already putting very high expectations on himself !

6 hours ago, Bill said:

Any feel good factor that might have arrived with Gerrard is very fragile. It won’t take much to upset it and there’s no point wishing it were otherwise. Patience might be needed but it won’t be forthcoming. It is what it is. 

Yep, just look at Paul Le Guen’s short reign for proof of this.  Giddy excitement  very quickly gave way to negativity, protests and genuine anger after a few bad results.

1 hour ago, craig said:

We all know the answer to that.  Whether we agree on it or not is a different thing altogether.

However, to try to get this thread back on track - I am actually encouraged by his statement.  If you look at it, look at how far behind Celtic we realistically are, a new manager coming in would be highly likely to say "I need time to put my own stamp on this team". 

Gerrard is doing the complete opposite.  He is saying "don't give me time.  This club deserves to be winning.  Hold me accountable.  I am ready.  I believe I am good enough, and my players will be good enough, to be successful".

I like his style - he isn't taking second as being good enough - he is a born winner, and successful or not, his desire to win will be total.  May or may not happen but it wont be for lack of him trying to place high standards and expectations on the players - he clearly is already putting very high expectations on himself !

I like his style too but style isn’t winnng and winning means trophies. Like every Rangers manager before him, he’s here for no other reason than to deliver trophies. If he does he’s a success, if he doesn’t he’s a failure. By May 2020 we’ll know which.

Gordon Strachan says Steven Gerrard has changed the Scottish football landscape

FORMER Celtic and Scotland manager Gordon Strachan believes that the arrival of Steven Gerrard as Rangers boss has given Scottish football a shot in the arm.

Strachan says that the former Liverpool and England captain’s star status has raised the profile of the game north of the border, and that his appointment is not only good for Rangers, but for the Scottish game as a whole.

“He’s changed the landscape in Scotland already,” Strachan said. “The profile of Scottish football has gone up since Steven’s went along there.

“He will enjoy being the manager of Rangers. They’re a huge club, so he will love it. He’s done well for Scottish football so far.”

Strachan doesn’t buy the notion that the job might be too big for Gerrard given that it his first management post in senior football, and he thinks that the risk he may have been perceived to have taken may well have huge rewards if he can hit the ground running in his new role.

“People have been asking should he have joined Rangers as they’re a big club, but he might as well do that because you’re mostly judged on your first job anyway,” Strachan said. “He might have gone to Ipswich or Crewe and not done well there and would have had to build up his career again, but he’s done the right thing going to Rangers.

“He’s helping everybody out, helping himself out and it will definitely help Scottish football out.”

Strachan believes meanwhile that his former club Celtic may struggle to make an impact on the Champions League this season because of the financial restrictions they are working under in comparison to their competitors.

“You look at other clubs who have done well in the Champions League and they’ve spent millions – Celtic can’t do that,” Strachan said. “Celtic just have to do their job properly, try and get some decent players in, which they have done when you think about [Victor] Wanyama, [Virgil] van Dijk, who went onto greater things. Celtic need to keep doing what they’re doing.

“There’s no secret to this – it’s all about great players. Unfortunately, Celtic can’t afford ready-made players. They have to bring them in and make them great.”

*Gordon Strachan was representing the League Manager’s Association (LMA), who are working with partners Prostate Cancer UK to promote awareness of the disease and proudly sported the charity’s ‘Man of Men’ pin badge.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/16343330.gordon-strachan-says-steven-gerrard-has-changed-the-scottish-football-landscape/

50 minutes ago, Bill said:

I like his style too but style isn’t winnng and winning means trophies. Like every Rangers manager before him, he’s here for no other reason than to deliver trophies. If he does he’s a success, if he doesn’t he’s a failure. By May 2020 we’ll know which.

But surely given the support’s lack of patience no silverware by May 2019 will tell us whether to keep or bin him ?

As it presently stands we are light years behind financially.  A continual managerial revolving door won’t close that gap.  This upcoming season should be about clear improvement, next season tweaking (and hopefully silverware) and the following season winning the title.

or maybe I’m not nearly as fussed about 10 in a row as others are and I’m maybe more patient than most.

I like the fact that Stevie places this pressure on himself and the players. The past two managers, Pedro to a lesser extent, asked for patience and tried to lower expectation. Gerrard knows that isn't going to wash.

If you ask me, verbally, the guy hasn't put a foot wrong.

27 minutes ago, craig said:

But surely given the support’s lack of patience no silverware by May 2019 will tell us whether to keep or bin him ?

As it presently stands we are light years behind financially.  A continual managerial revolving door won’t close that gap.  This upcoming season should be about clear improvement, next season tweaking (and hopefully silverware) and the following season winning the title.

or maybe I’m not nearly as fussed about 10 in a row as others are and I’m maybe more patient than most.

You’re describing how you think it should be. I’m describing how I think it will be. 

I’ve already said elsewhere I think we’re two or three seasons from winnng the league unless significant new investment appears but my views won’t change fans impatience or how they judge Gerrard. He has two seasons max to deliver.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

You’re describing how you think it should be. I’m describing how I think it will be. 

I’ve already said elsewhere I think we’re two or three seasons from winnng the league unless significant new investment appears but my views won’t change fans impatience or how they judge Gerrard. He has two seasons max to deliver.

Sarcasm is lost on Internet forums :ninja:

i agree with you on both counts.  That is also why our fanbase should (but won’t) realize that they can be part of the solution by showing some patience.

16 hours ago, craig said:

Hindsight is all too easy, as you say, but a sign of success for Gerrard in his first season shouldn't, IMO, be silverware - it should be progress, getting closer to Celtic physically, mentally and in terms of points.  Also finishing second but, just as importantly, for me at least, would be a clear visual impression of how his team will look to play with each player busting a gut to be successful.

For me, SG would be making a mistake to focus on Ceptic.....he should be focusing more on all the other teams & rather than getting closer to Ceptic, his main aim should be putting significant distance between us & everyone else.

We lost too many points to other teams last season....rectify that, and straight away we're closer to them.  Focus too much on one team, may mean taking your eye off the others.

Its fairly obvious what is going to be acceptable to the majority of Bears this season. Improvement in all areas.

We can forgive not winning the title as long as we contend for it. Our rivals budget dwarfs ours, and they have a team who have won over course and distance year after year. For our part we are building our team back up again and we have pretty much wasted 2 years in doing so with mistakes in dugout and boardroom.

I want to see improvement. I want to see us win our home games. I want to see us win the games we should be winning. I want to see us play decent football. It doesnt have to be like Barcelona of a few years back, or Man City last year, just better for us. Defend better, attack better. For the investment in the football side this last few months this should be the minimum we can ask for.

I want to see a big increase in the number of points won. This should in turn ensure there is no talk of a battle for second. Aberdeen and Hibs may well get a similar points total to last year (70-75), we need to be at least 10-15 points higher than that. To win the title we probably need 20-25 points more, which is a big ask (not impossible when you consider the amount of cheap points we surrendered meekly the last two seasons, especially at home), but to say we have failed if we dont do that would be wrong, this time round anyway.

The big stepping stone will be to win a cup and to beat the bheasts. This is what we want to see. If these things happen and we dont win the league, then nobody will be calling for Gerrard to leave.

It was blatantly obvious that Pedro was miles out his depth and should have been sacked at the very latest on the plane home from Lux. All fans could see he had no management qualities and the players did not believe in him, nor worked their best for him. I dont think we will see a similar thing with SG, but if we do the results will suffer and the calls to go will increase. However lets stay positive and hope for a season of stability, improvement, and silverware.