Gersnet Podcast 009 - Burying Bury and Back in Europe

38 minutes ago, Bill said:

That’s impressive. You’ve managed to find just the right tone of discussion early on and I really hope you stick to this format. I still think it’s a tad too long though ?

It is difficult to cut it shorter and cover all the talking points. Even just having one person answering one question is difficult as it gives a one sided view. We try for 45 minutes but it seldom stays by that. We want to keep it interesting and not having the host keeping saying sorry your time is up in mid sentence. Some of our answers could be shorter though but that will come with more experience.

26 minutes ago, pete said:

It is difficult to cut it shorter and cover all the talking points. Even just having one person answering one question is difficult as it gives a one sided view. We try for 45 minutes but it seldom stays by that. We want to keep it interesting and not having the host keeping saying sorry your time is up in mid sentence. Some of our answers could be shorter though but that will come with more experience.

Gasbags! 

9 hours ago, Bill said:

That’s impressive. You’ve managed to find just the right tone of discussion early on and I really hope you stick to this format. I still think it’s a tad too long though ?

It's a fair point about length, I think we are trying to find that balance between not rambling on for hours, but making sure every major talking point from the week is given suitable discussion. There were still loads of questions that we planned to discuss but dropped during the record for time reasons (e.g. Wes being told he can leave). This club never leaves us short of things to talk about!

Thanks lad's !

An hour is fine if the content is interesting, there are varying views on X and Y and you offer a little bit more than standard Bear chat, eg. the vew on Flanagan from Liverpool fan recently.

Conversely, 45 minutes is long if the show is medoicre.

ie. concentrate on quality

31 minutes ago, rfb1872 said:

It's a fair point about length, I think we are trying to find that balance between not rambling on for hours, but making sure every major talking point from the week is given suitable discussion. There were still loads of questions that we planned to discuss but dropped during the record for time reasons (e.g. Wes being told he can leave). This club never leaves us short of things to talk about!

That's for sure!

I make the point about duration not as a criticism about content or delivery but about the amount of time the listener has to devote to hearing the entire thing through. For me, there's a considerable difference between committing an hour or a half hour when it comes to thinking "do I have the time right now to relax and listen to this?" What I don't want to do is listen to some of it now and some later, or to fast forward in places to cut the duration. It's only my view and perhaps most people have no issue with an hour or so. The podcast adds an interesting new dimension to the site and in my view has been amazingly well done from the start. I hope you guys will keep it going.

Edited by Bill

We managed to get a couple under 50 minutes. Being a bit rusty and not having a running order which specifies which contributor answers which question means that trying to be succinct and still articulate your opinions fully can be problematic from time to time.

When we all get back into the swing of things I'm sure it'll tighten up naturally.

I'm glad the Gersnet membership and non-members are generally liking it though - it's good fun from our perspective!

1 hour ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

We managed to get a couple under 50 minutes. Being a bit rusty and not having a running order which specifies which contributor answers which question means that trying to be succinct and still articulate your opinions fully can be problematic from time to time.

When we all get back into the swing of things I'm sure it'll tighten up naturally.

I'm glad the Gersnet membership and non-members are generally liking it though - it's good fun from our perspective!

David Edgar and the lads over at Heart & Hand produce a very smooth polished product which their free Monday Pod is generally in the 60+ mins area and they've been making Pods for 9 years. Thats 9 years!  This weeks Gersnet pod is 55 mins long from intro to close. Our initial goal for the Pod was always to have it sub 60 mins and we've achieved that with this weeks show and give or take we've managed that with one or two of our other shows. Personally speaking I feel that has been very impressive work from all the lads involved especially considering we're only on our 9th Pod. Thats 9th Pod! I'm citing the H&H as a sort of bench mark since they are hands down the most successful Rangers Podcast available so we've got a hell of a lot of time to make up to get to that sort of standard. 

Edited by Big Jaws

8 hours ago, Big Jaws said:

David Edgar and the lads over at Heart & Hand produce a very smooth polished product which their free Monday Pod is generally in the 60+ mins area and they've been making Pods for 9 years. Thats 9 years!  This weeks Gersnet pod is 55 mins long from intro to close. Our initial goal for the Pod was always to have it sub 60 mins and we've achieved that with this weeks show and give or take we've managed that with one or two of our other shows. Personally speaking I feel that has been very impressive work from all the lads involved especially considering we're only on our 9th Pod. Thats 9th Pod! I'm citing the H&H as a sort of bench mark since they are hands down the most successful Rangers Podcast available so we've got a hell of a lot of time to make up to get to that sort of standard. 

Totally agree and given that we are doing every other week that means everybody has only done about 4 pods.

For what it's worth, although I really enjoy H&H, I like this Gersnet one better.  I think the reason is that it's like listening to your mates.  I think you've got to remember that the association with such a good forum is a massive differentiator.  You should take more opportunities to link the podcast discussions to threads and topics on here.  It would help develop a stronger link between the two and perhaps will encourage more people to come to the forums.