[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

8 minutes ago, craig said:

Not sure you can level that first complaint at the manager, or even the players to be fair.  Of the 3 subs, Jack was the most defensive and on,y because it was needed as Arfield was injured.  The other 2 saw a winger and a creative attacking mid come on.  Those type of subs aren’t ones you would make “seeing out a 1-0 win”.

I said it after the Bury game.... we’ve won a watch with Middleton !!

Just my opinion but the mid three dropped deeper and we stopped trying to find the through ball and stopped the runs from midfield into the box. Was all possession football and the easy across field pass with majority behind the ball. First half was different. Both fullbacks started to stay back too. Wasn't until the Middleton sub the mentality seemed to change.

Could have been fitness or nerves but just came across to me as trying to keep the win instead of pushing on. Middleton changed that so giving Gerrard his due there.

Edited by trublusince1982

Why did SG start with Murty’s failed 4-2-3-1 tonight?

It left Arfield & McCrorie(2)with too much to do at times because Murphy,Windass & Candaeis(3)aren’t 90 minute players.

I thought when he changed it in the second half (when Ejaria & Jack came on alongside McCrorie) we looked more solid which we’ll need to be in the second leg & assuming we get through against Osijek in the next round(assuming they get through too) 

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

Why did SG start with Murty’s failed 4-2-3-1 tonight?

It left Arfield & McCrorie(2)with too much to do at times because Murphy,Windass & Candaeis(3)aren’t 90 minute players.

I thought when he changed it in the second half (when Ejaria & Jack came on alongside McCrorie) we looked more solid which we’ll need to be in the second leg & assuming we get through against Osijek in the next round(assuming they get through too) 

That was the first time I have seen a rangers player bless themselves going onto the pitch. Times have changed indeed.

56 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

As long as Windass is a first pick Rangers will win nothing.  

I'd bet quite a lot on that.

Find a player who’ll get more goals over a season than him then. It’s often overlooked Rangers were the top scorers in the premiership last season & Windass was a major reason for that.

My view about Windass is he’s more of a striker than a wide player but whether SG can accommodate him in whatever system he eventually opts for remains to be seen

Edited by RANGERRAB

Well, it's a bit of a mixed bag for me personally.

When it came to going forward, I felt we lacked quality. The only ones who seemed to be causing them any problems was Murphy and Middleton when he eventually came on. Tavernier's penalty in the 90th minute was a gift and it could easily have ended 1-0, which in my opinion brings back horrible memories of Progres from last year. 

The positive for me though was the defence. Goldson and Katic looked rock solid up back and Shkupi didn't really get a chance.

I'll gladly take a 2-0 victory though. It's defo better than what we had last year and it gives us a bit of a cushion going into the 2nd leg in Macedonia.

10 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Find a player who’ll get more goals than him over a season than him then. It’s often overlooked Rangers were the top scorers in the premiership last season & Windass was a major reason for that.

My view about Windass is he’s more of a striker than a wide player but whether SG can accommodate him in whatever system he eventually opts for remains to be seen

Personally think his tally last year will be a one off. Be amazed if he gets more than 10-13 this season. He looks like a player who's mind is elsewhere.