[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

Should we have played a couple of more friendlies ?

Did the coaching get through to the players ?

Should we expect a big change when 5 of the 6 starters middle and front were from last season ?

Is Sadiq available for the second leg ?

Probably.

Partly. 

Yes.

Yes.

:D 

It was quite comfortable. Defensively we were solid, and there's a big improvement in the gaps between players/lines, and the CBs pushing up to cut off passes. We pressed and recovered the ball quite quickly, generally. 

It was lacking in quality in the final third. It was disappointing, even though we created several glorious chances, and flat. We need more creativity. 

The positioning of the #8 has to improve: they have to find space in the channels, between the lines; and, crucially, the CBs and McCrorie have to find them with line-splitting passes. Too often it went wide, which played into their hands. I would expect to see that improve with coaching. 

Someone said Murtys failed 4 2 3 1 system but if you look at the world cup most sides have played this system it's only they have better players we will find the formation that suits us best but it will take a little time so we will have to give the team our full support as I am sure the fans will .

10 hours ago, buster. said:

Not that surprising..........

New improved defence

Same players middle to front (bar Arfield who was subed)

Improved when two new arrivals to first team come on.

The side out there last night are a million miles away from challenging Celtic. It’s actually quite depressing to see Morelos, Windass etc still involved. I don’t think Murphy’s good enough either.

Our squad needs significant investment.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Probably.

Partly. 

Yes.

Yes.

:D 

If we are short on gametime and the coaching isn't yet showing then why expect a big change with the same personnel ?

The hope has to be that with more games and some fresh blood being introduced that we start to see a difference but that will depend on the quality of players brought in and how present squad members can start to play in a SG system.

Will be interesting to see if Sadiq (if fit enough) plays in Macedonia, given it's a game where his style might suit.

2 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

The side out there last night are a million miles away from challenging Celtic. It’s actually quite depressing to see Morelos, Windass etc still involved. I don’t think Murphy’s good enough either.

I'd agree, although at this time its probably best that we don't make comparisons with Celtic.

Realistically, I'd be hoping more that after the summer windo of 2019, we might be in a position to do so.

Edited by buster.

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It was quite comfortable. Defensively we were solid, and there's a big improvement in the gaps between players/lines, and the CBs pushing up to cut off passes. We pressed and recovered the ball quite quickly, generally. 

It was lacking in quality in the final third. It was disappointing, even though we created several glorious chances, and flat. We need more creativity. 

The positioning of the #8 has to improve: they have to find space in the channels, between the lines; and, crucially, the CBs and McCrorie have to find them with line-splitting passes. Too often it went wide, which played into their hands. I would expect to see that improve with coaching. 

We were playing against a side that finished 4th in the Macedonian league. Unless there’s an enormous improvement, further European embarrassment is heading our way.

2 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Our squad needs significant investment.

We don't have the money required 

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

If we are short on gametime and the coaching isn't yet showing then why expect a big change with the same personnel ?

The hope has to be that with more games and some fresh blood being introduced that we start to see a difference but that will depend on the quality of players brought in and how present squad members can start to play in a SG system.

Will be interesting to see if Sadiq (if fit enough) plays in Macedonia, given it's a game where his style might suit.

I wasn't, I said 'partly'.

We're lacking sharpness, but with the same players I can see improvements, or at least new ways of playing.  

It was a tolerable performance, but not great; I expect to see further, significant, improvements.