[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

A wins a win two goals in our first competitive match with a clean sheet is a decent start for a new manager with what is basically  a new team performances will get better of that I have no doubt .

6 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Why did SG start with Murty’s failed 4-2-3-1 tonight?

It left Arfield & McCrorie(2)with too much to do at times because Murphy,Windass & Candaeis(3)aren’t 90 minute players.

I thought when he changed it in the second half (when Ejaria & Jack came on alongside McCrorie) we looked more solid which we’ll need to be in the second leg & assuming we get through against Osijek in the next round(assuming they get through too) 

Looked like a 4-3-3 to me.

giphy.gif

Thank goodness for that second goal.

They are a better side than a lot of folk think and will cause us bother in the second leg.

We had plenty of the ball and made a few decent chances and probably should have won more confortabley but in all honesty, and i know it's early doors yet, it was looking like more of the same as last season.

I must add that i see no reason to keep persevering with Windass, i'm sure he's being played to keep in the shop window just now and i'm beginning to feel the same with Morelos.

10 hours ago, craig said:

Good to see Stevie G show some courage by going with the young lads in the latter stages.

Would like to see Middleton playing wide left and Murphy on the right (or centrally) with Candeais right.

would also be thinking about getting Ejaria into the “10”, perhaps to replace Windass (sorry Rousseau... :D )

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, craig said:

Good to see Stevie G show some courage by going with the young lads in the latter stages.

Would like to see Middleton playing wide left and Murphy on the right (or centrally) with Candeais right.

would also be thinking about getting Ejaria into the “10”, perhaps to replace Windass (sorry Rousseau... :D )

We weren't really playing with a #10 -- it was 2 #8s. 

Windass was playing Right-Wing. I thought he was good; he's a threat up front -- missing two sitters, for me -- Headers as well!?

I like the idea of Murphy playing on his natural side, with Middleton -- who was superb -- on the other, but I think SG likes a narrow front three, so they're always going to be coming inside.

We need the width from the Full-backs. Flanagan was quite narrow, which is strong defensively, but doesn't give us that width. We need an Ejaria, or someone central, to go from central to wide. 

14 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Hope the pitch holds up better than last game! it was terrible

Still problems with the pitch last night! McCrorie was ploughing it up!?, hope it doesn't require lifting and relaying?

Should we have played a couple of more friendlies ?

Did the coaching get through to the players ?

Should we expect a big change when 5 of the 6 starters middle and front were from last season ?

Is Sadiq available for the second leg ?

7 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Why did SG start with Murty’s failed 4-2-3-1 tonight?

It left Arfield & McCrorie(2)with too much to do at times because Murphy,Windass & Candaeis(3)aren’t 90 minute players.

I thought when he changed it in the second half (when Ejaria & Jack came on alongside McCrorie) we looked more solid which we’ll need to be in the second leg & assuming we get through against Osijek in the next round(assuming they get through too) 

He didn't, it was a 4-3-3.