[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

1 minute ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

We were playing against a side that finished 4th in the Macedonian league. Unless there’s an enormous improvement, further European embarrassment is heading our way.

Anything in Europe is a bonus and unless there is a sudden vast improvement, we won't reach August qualifiers.

The first realistic litmus test for me is the first four league games and at that point we'll have the squad finalised.

9 minutes ago, compo said:

We don't have the money required 

We are about to spend the best part of £8m on 3 centre backs.

The negativity on here is completely over the top.

The Rangers team that started last night will be dramatically different come the start of the season.

One goal over there and the game is done and dusted.

With the emergence of Middleton who showed he is very dangerous, quick, strong and can use both feet maybe a wee change is required? I like Murphy and he knows where the goal is and think he will score a good few this season, however he does lack a wee bit of pace and maybe could replace Windass in beside Morelos allowing young Middleton to play LW?

8 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

- Up front I'm just not happy and I know this is something that divides the support, but Windass can't continue to be a first choice pick.  I'm honestly really trying to warm to him and I'm trying to focus more on the positives he brings (and he does bring a lot), but unless we are counter attacking he does not work well.  He is quick and direct, and when we played away from home last season we could use him effectively in a counter attacking situation.  He was able to beat the last man with pace and score.  However, when we are controlling a game and need to create an opportunity, or finish one off, he's not the right type of player.  SG tried him on the wing, but he can't deliver a good cross and he can't beat his man so I don't know where that leaves us.  In EVERY game I'm reminded that he's on the pitch when he does something.  He's forgettable for the other 30 minutes.  Can anyone put their finger on why that is?  I don't think he's lazy or incapable.  Is it his positioning?  I don't know.

I thought he played well last night, in an inside-forward role: he did cross the ball a few times -- he beat his man a couple of times too, but lost a few one-on-ones against that LB, who was just quicker --, admittedly not coming off, and he did get on the end of a few chances (two sitters, for me). He also got stuck in defensively too. 

You make a good point about him playing in away games.

I think he'd be better with some creativity behind him. Relying on him to create is not the way to go. Ejaria was the only 'creative' -type, who came on for Windass (I think?). 

I still don't think he's used properly; we're (the fans) almost trying to shoe-horn him into different roles, but he doesn't quite fit any.  

16 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

We are about to spend the best part of £8m on 3 centre backs.

The negativity on here is completely over the top.

The Rangers team that started last night will be dramatically different come the start of the season.

Centre backs don't score or create many goals.

Negativity is hard to shake after the last decade.

Will it?

2 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

With the emergence of Middleton who showed he is very dangerous, quick, strong and can use both feet maybe a wee change is required? I like Murphy and he knows where the goal is and think he will score a good few this season, however he does lack a wee bit of pace and maybe could replace Windass in beside Morelos allowing young Middleton to play LW?

Middleton is a natural winger, whereas Murphy isn't -- he started his career at Motherwell as a forward, only being converted to a LM later. 

I like the idea of Middleton stretching play on the left, with Tavernier stretching play on the Right, with a Right-winger coming inside to help Morelos. Sadiq could do that, or Windass (I WILL FIT HIM IN! :D). 

Windass got himself into a few good positions and, on another night, we'd have been very pleased with his overall contribution if he'd grabbed a couple of goals.

Like a few players, his decision-making and passing was poor though at times and that's where the criticism is understandable.  I also don't see why Candeias wouldn't be a better option out wide but I guess he doesn't make the same inside runs and doesn't carry the same goal-scoring threat (particularly height wise).

51 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It was quite comfortable. Defensively we were solid, and there's a big improvement in the gaps between players/lines, and the CBs pushing up to cut off passes. We pressed and recovered the ball quite quickly, generally. 

It was lacking in quality in the final third. It was disappointing, even though we created several glorious chances, and flat. We need more creativity. 

The positioning of the #8 has to improve: they have to find space in the channels, between the lines; and, crucially, the CBs and McCrorie have to find them with line-splitting passes. Too often it went wide, which played into their hands. I would expect to see that improve with coaching. 

I fear for McCrorie when Rossiter comes back. It is starting to look like he is not good enough for Centre-half and not creative enough for the midfield. He is only 19 though so maybe that is unfair.

29 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I thought he played well last night, in an inside-forward role: he did cross the ball a few times -- he beat his man a couple of times too, but lost a few one-on-ones against that LB, who was just quicker --, admittedly not coming off, and he did get on the end of a few chances (two sitters, for me). He also got stuck in defensively too. 

You make a good point about him playing in away games.

I think he'd be better with some creativity behind him. Relying on him to create is not the way to go. Ejaria was the only 'creative' -type, who came on for Windass (I think?). 

I still don't think he's used properly; we're (the fans) almost trying to shoe-horn him into different roles, but he doesn't quite fit any.  

He did play well at times last night and I think that's what's frustrating.  I just can't work out why he looks good for 10 minutes and then disappears for 10.

I think you're right that we haven't found the right position for him.  Having said that, we've tried him in most positions (I think) so I don't know if that'll address the issue.  I also accept your point about having someone more creative to support him, and that could work by feeding him the type of balls he needs.  The only question I have then is if Windass is good enough to start building a team around.  He might be, but that's a massive risk that I wouldn't take.  Fortunately that's SG's problem to contend with.

I think I've just been hoping that it was an attitude (or laziness) problem he had.  In other words, it could be something that could be tackled by bringing in a new manager perhaps.  I hoped that was the case because then I could look forward to him contributing in more minutes of the match.  It'd be frustrating but at least understandable.  The problem is that he's an enigma.  I talk to my brother, father, son and pals about him, and none of us know what we'd do with him to benefit from his obvious talents.  SG can try, but if it was me I'd be letting him go and putting my energy into other players.

Edited by Gaffer