[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

15 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

Don't really get what we have to take from this. That's a very simple and expected part of his role. Do you think he meant that pass or just hoffed it up the line?

Will be amazed if five full minutes of decent play could be put together of him from the last two games combined. He is like running with weights round your ankles, just cause we got there doesn't mean it's the best course.

Any clip of the header he had from five yards? looked a decent save but hard to tell from where I was.

Middleton has done more in two sub appearances to attract praise and create chances.

Windass needs to bring far more to the team. In training he looks like a world beater but during games he's a passenger for 80+ minutes who thinks he's a ?.

Has he had an assist or goal yet in the games this season? Think all the others who have played in front three have, don't remember anything in the games from him but maybe blanking it out ??

Damn, that was 21 minutes after I posted. I wasn't expecting that. :roflmao:

It was hardly a 'hoof'.

There are clips of all three (I think, or maybe two?) of his 'sitters'. 

I agree; he can do more, but I'm one of the few it seems who thinks he does well now. It was a good save, but he should be scoring. 

Middleton was superb when he came on, but he didn't actually do anything effectual, like Windass in that regard; but the perceptions are polar opposite. I'd just like to see some objectivity when it comes to Windass, and not just the silly 'he's a sh*t-bag' label (not saying you say this, but in general).  

He got a couple of assists in the Bury game, I think, but I don't think that counts; that's pre-season. 

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Damn, that was 21 minutes after I posted. I wasn't expecting that. :roflmao:

There are clips of all three (I think, or maybe two?) of his 'sitters'. 

I agree; he can do more, but I'm one of the few it seems who thinks he does well now. It was a good save, but he should be scoring. 

Middleton was superb when he came on, but he didn't actually do anything effectual, like Windass in that regard; but the perceptions are polar opposite. I'd just like to see some objectivity when it comes to Windass, and not just the silly 'he's a sh*t-bag' label (not saying you say this, but in general).  

He got a couple of assists in the Bury game, I think, but I don't think that counts; that's pre-season. 

Would count them if true, was there but don't remember, but possible it was him that crossed for Morelos goal. Was asking to be objective and fair to him. 

At polar opposite of yourself with him but would be happy to be proven wrong if he pops up with same tally as last year. 

Edited by trublusince1982

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Middleton is a natural winger, whereas Murphy isn't -- he started his career at Motherwell as a forward, only being converted to a LM later. 

I like the idea of Middleton stretching play on the left, with Tavernier stretching play on the Right, with a Right-winger coming inside to help Morelos. Sadiq could do that, or Windass (I WILL FIT HIM IN! :D). 

Having Windass as "right winger" rather than Candeias shows that your man-love for Windass is greater than mine for Kevin Thomson.....

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Having Windass as "right winger" rather than Candeias shows that your man-love for Windass is greater than mine for Kevin Thomson.....

Ha!

Well, that's where he was playing last night, or more of an inside forward role -- they're not really wingers in SG's 4-3-3. 

I'd have him in a central midfield three -- or anywhere, really; we should build the whole team around him, and start his statue, and hall of fame inauguration. 

3 hours ago, pete said:

I fear for McCrorie when Rossiter comes back. It is starting to look like he is not good enough for Centre-half and not creative enough for the midfield. He is only 19 though so maybe that is unfair.

I thought McCrorie looked completely off the pace after half-time.  Also looked like he lacked a bit of mobility to me.  I like the lad a lot, but he almost seemed awkward last night.  Rossiter, for me, would be a better option in there.  I think Rossiter, if he gets and remains fit, makes a big difference to this team.

3 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

I thought we over played in front of the opposition, and occasionally around them. Often, Morelos was dragged into areas to link up/contribute to moves, meaning he was not inside the area when the cross was eventually achieved. Windass ghosted in across the front to the near post and managed to get under the headers. Morelos is strangling opportunities, when he is in position, he is going marginally too early. Overall, it was a disjointed.

We created a dozen chances, took two. We did not concede. McGregor had a most quiet match, a series of corners fifteen minutes into the second half was his only test. 

I do not think any of the midfield subs changed the match, maybe Ajeria's probing caused a few problems. Middleton is direct, has pace, and quick feet. The Shkupi right back was exasperated, correctly cautioned, and he chucked it twice.

Tuesday's second leg is most dependent upon who scores first. 

We looked a completely different team IMO when Middleton came on.  Unless you aren't considering him a midfielder :D

To be fair, Jack's introduction was forced given Arfield's injury.  I thought Ejaria was direct, skillful and forced them a bit more onto the back foot. 

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Ha!

Well, that's where he was playing last night, or more of an inside forward role -- they're not really wingers in SG's 4-3-3. 

I'd have him in a central midfield three -- or anywhere, really; we should build the whole team around him, and start his statue, and hall of fame inauguration. 

Did you notice what change they made formation wise at halftime? Couldn't put my finger on what they had do e but suddenly our midfield was swamped and looking lost. 

2 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

Did you notice what change they made formation wise at halftime? Couldn't put my finger on what they had do e but suddenly our midfield was swamped and looking lost. 

I don't recall.

10 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Ha!

It really irks me how easy, and quick, people are to jump on Windass' back (check my post earlier in this thread where I stated he is our new Alan Hutton or Charlie Adam).  At one point last night a long ball was played over the top, Windass does everything he can to get to it but it was clear there was too much on it and it was going out for a goal kick.... the camera pans and shows fans behind where Windass was... and they are absolutely slating him... when he could do nothing about the pass.  It is ridiculous.

Windass didn't have his best game last night.  However, he wasn't the worst player on the pitch... yet when we start to talk about negativity regarding the team he dominates 90%+ of the conversation.  Unfair doesn't begin to cover it.

Last night he worked harder than I've seen previously.  Last night he got into goalscoring positions that others (notably Murphy, despite his goal) didn't.... on another day he scores 3 goals.  Last night he had one "sitter" in front of goal for a header (so did Morelos, but we ignore that sitter and complain about Windass' sitter instead).  his other two chances weren't sitters - the one in the first half was very difficult to get any power on the ball as the defender in front was preventing a clean header - was still a decent save from the keeper.  The second one was a glancing header and not the easiest of chances to put away.

Funny thing is... he wasn't playing as a striker.... but had 3 chances to score.  How many chances did our striker have ?  Only one that I can recall.  Who gets pelters for being garbage ?  Not the striker...

For me, Windass has to play centrally or not at all.  He isn't a winger - he doesn't have the tricks and skills to be a winger.  His finishing, at least in training, is excellent - if he is central to the goal he CAN score goals.  He isn't the creative type though.  If SG is going to use "horses for courses" this season then Windass, IMO, would be most effective away from home against the teams who attack us, allowing us to hit on the counter - his biggest positives for me are his starting speed and his directness, something which can hurt a team actually looking to come out and play against you.

39 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

Don't really get what we have to take from this. That's a very simple and expected part of his role. Do you think he meant that pass or just hoffed it up the line?

It was a hopeful clearence up the line that Tav superbly managed to convert into an assist for a goal.

Tav can be a top notch player on his day and I'm glad he seems to be staying at Ibrox.