[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I can honestly say I saw England in the same way I saw every other team ... as a neutral fan of football. I enjoyed the enthusiasm the English showed for their team, the same as any other country. The only two things I found tedious about this world cup were the collapsing cheats and my fellow Scots who are so lacking in self-confidence that they daily filled social media with their endless whining and vitriol about England.

The pundits and some of the English public are a royal pain in the arse Bill. My old mum was sick of it too. They live in a parallel universe.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

And best of all they were crying.:D

That’s just childish, they were crying with pride we are told? After all beating Columbia, Tunisia, Sweden and Panama! Now that’s a team of world beaters at the next Euros and WC according to TalkSPORT??

I talk in jest though. Pete can have 10% discount and bitterness management when I’m qualified?

Just now, cooponthewing said:

The pundits and some of the English public are a royal pain in the arse Bill. My old mum was sick of it too. They live in a parallel universe.

They don't put me up nor down really. I've been around for too long to expect anything else and I'm certainly not going to get worked up about it when the expected duly arrives. It's not just the English media either. You can hear exactly the same skewed bullshit from the Scottish media any day of the week. I'm sure if we looked, we would see precisely the same outlandish bias if we looked at the French or Croatian media right now. It's just the way of the world. Luckily, we still have the option not to read the papers or to switch off or mute the tv.

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

I can honestly say I saw England in the same way I saw every other team ... as a neutral fan of football. I enjoyed the enthusiasm the English showed for their team, the same as any other country. The only two things I found tedious about this world cup were the collapsing cheats and my fellow Scots who are so lacking in self-confidence that they daily filled social media with their endless whining and vitriol about England.

I agree with you in a lot of things and I feel as British as the rest. Unfortunately supporting England and voting Tory are 2 things we will have tread different paths. But....

:D

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

They don't put me up nor down really. I've been around for too long to expect anything else and I'm certainly not going to get worked up about it when the expected duly arrives. It's not just the English media either. You can hear exactly the same skewed bullshit from the Scottish media any day of the week. I'm sure if we looked, we would see precisely the same outlandish bias if we looked at the French or Croatian media right now. It's just the way of the world. Luckily, we still have the option not to read the papers or to switch off or mute the tv.

I’m quite happy Bill. I always want any home nation to do well, especially England. However, winning the thing would have been unbearable to live with, just awful! That said, they should have been good enough to get to the final.

Edited by cooponthewing

3 minutes ago, pete said:

I agree with you in a lot of things and I feel as British as the rest. Unfortunately supporting England and voting Tory are 2 things we will have tread different paths. But....

:D

That's OK then because I don't support England and I'm not a member of the Conservative Party and don't vote for them as a matter of course. Whatever gave you the idea that I did. ?

54 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

I don't see the pundits or the fans/public being any different from the way that we would react.

If pundits are gushing about Rangers, we would love it. I don't get it that it suddenly becomes wrong just because they're doing it about the England team.

I know everyone is being guarded because of last season, but lets not kid ourselves tonight should be a walkover and anything less will be a disappointment. We should see high intensity and a bombardment of their back line. Let's just hope Morelos has found his shooting boots because we'll need to put away our chances to put ourselves at ease.

7 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

If pundits are gushing about Rangers, we would love it. I don't get it that it suddenly becomes wrong just because they're doing it about the England team.

Football/national rivalry.  I don't like pundits gushing over Celtc either.

Football is a tribal game, where partisanship makes it what it is.  I'm not really bothered how others view it but I definitely wouldn't want England winning the world cup again.  I dislike the ABE brigade too but that's just part of it all.

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

I don't see the pundits or the fans/public being any different from the way that we would react.

I actually think the pundits were unbearable purely because of the repetition of the delusion that they had a fantastic world cup and they'd done everyone proud. You'd have thought they'd knocked out Argentina, Germany or Spain.

In the real world, they beat Tunisia (21st) (who were terrible) with a last gasp header, Panama (55th) who were the worst team in the competition, Sweden (24th) with their only 2 shots on target and scraped past Colombia (16th) on penalties who were far better than them for the last 50 minutes or so. And again with only 2 shots on target with the goal being a gift wrapped penalty.

They lost the only times they came up against decent opposition Croatia (20th) and Belgium (3rd). I'm not anti-England but the combination of their drab performances and the delusion of how great they'd been made me anti-England.