[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I actually think the pundits were unbearable purely because of the repetition of the delusion that they had a fantastic world cup and they'd done everyone proud. You'd have thought they'd knocked out Argentina, Germany or Spain.

In the real world, they beat Tunisia (21st) (who were terrible) with a last gasp header, Panama (55th) who were the worst team in the competition, Sweden (24th) with their only 2 shots on target and scraped past Colombia (16th) on penalties who were far better than them for the last 50 minutes or so. And again with only 2 shots on target with the goal being a gift wrapped penalty.

They lost the only times they came up against decent opposition Croatia (20th) and Belgium (3rd). I'm not anti-England but the combination of their drab performances and the delusion of how great they'd been made me anti-England.

The pundits were doing their job as best as they saw fit to be fair. I've no issues at all with and Englishman getting excited/ carried away while supporting his country. What I cannot abide is inaccuracy from commentators and at one stage the commentator who had Glenn Hoddle along side him in the booth said... 'that's the first time England have been behind in this tournament' completely erasing their defeat to Belgium. Bias I can handle, I'm fine with that however something as wrong as that should have been corrected and Hoddle should have been the man to do it but he didn't!

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I hope Gerrard has had them all on a diet of raw red meat for the last fortnight. If they don't take the field for this game like men possessed then we might as well give up.

I'm guessing you don't have a RTV subscription Bill. If you had you would know from the training video's what Gerrard has been drilling into them with regards to attacking the ball, tackles etc.

20 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

I'm guessing you don't have a RTV subscription Bill. If you had you would know from the training video's what Gerrard has been drilling into them with regards to attacking the ball, tackles etc.

I’m a subscriber but I’d like to see it hen it matters. I’m actually optimistic about what we’ll see tonight but as they say, the proof of he pudding is in the eating.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

I’m a subscriber but I’d like to see it hen it matters. I’m actually optimistic about what we’ll see tonight but as they say, the proof of he pudding is in the eating.

I mentioned it because hearing him say that jogging around was not on was a marked change, a breath of fresh air if you like, from the otherwise nicey, nicey of the previous coaches/managers. He want them snapping into tackles and chasing the ball down but not in an aimless or listless way he is demanding much more from them.

Looking forward to seeing our new look team in action tonight. Friendlies are nothing, this is the start of the real action.

While we have brought in a whole host of new players, not all look like starters or are not ready to start yet, so it may be more familiar faces than new faces when the starting 11 is announced at 6.45. 

No matter the 11 chosen, we need to start this game (and campaign) well, and ensure next week is a mere formality. We cannot afford another Progres, or even a close tie, this has to lay down the marker that this is a new regime and a squad full of quality players that have a winning mentality.

Love the look of the programme as well, I will certainly be buying one of them!

What we know for certain is that McGregor, Goldson, Katic, Flanagan, Arfield, will all start from the new recruits, and I am looking forward to seeing them all in action under match conditions. I am also keen to see the system, style, tactics, how he uses his subs etc. There will be no rush to judgement (from me anyway!) after one game, just show us a sign that you know what you're doing under match conditions!

Bigger tests are just around the corner and fast approaching, so lets hope we get the job done professionally and with the minimum of fuss tonight.

C'mon the Gers!!

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I actually think the pundits were unbearable purely because of the repetition of the delusion that they had a fantastic world cup and they'd done everyone proud. You'd have thought they'd knocked out Argentina, Germany or Spain.

In the real world, they beat Tunisia (21st) (who were terrible) with a last gasp header, Panama (55th) who were the worst team in the competition, Sweden (24th) with their only 2 shots on target and scraped past Colombia (16th) on penalties who were far better than them for the last 50 minutes or so. And again with only 2 shots on target with the goal being a gift wrapped penalty.

They lost the only times they came up against decent opposition Croatia (20th) and Belgium (3rd). I'm not anti-England but the combination of their drab performances and the delusion of how great they'd been made me anti-England.

You surely aren't counting that Belgium game ?  It was reserves v reserves.

11 minutes ago, craig said:

That doesn’t matter I just listed all the games, of course it wasn’t an important game. 

14 minutes ago, craig said:

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

That doesn’t matter I just listed all the games, of course it wasn’t an important game. 

I disagree with you both of course it was important. It was the last game of the World Cup group stages to determine who won the group going into the last 16. Winning the group meant that there would be a much tougher route to the final as Belgium found out with the calibre of opponent they've had to face. I'm not criticising Gareth Southgate or the players here rather suggesting there is a way to navigate sections of tournaments with a degree of savvy.