[FT] Osijek 0 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 18)

A good nights work - a very solid & professional performance.  Sure, it wasn't flashy, but they did what was needed.  As SG said, the tie couldn't be won last night, but it could have been lost - they team made sure the latter didn't happen.

Was impressed by Coulibally...looks a very physical presence & moved the ball pretty well.

Tav caused come scares - not his best game....but still supplied some good balls & the cross for the goal.

Shagger - great game.  totally unphased, and pulled off a couple of good saves.

Kent - Tended to be quite wasteful in possession, but was always active & keen to run at the opposition.  Could be a very exciting player.

Murphy - felt he was largely invisible.

Jack & Ejaria - Played well over all.

Flannigan - decent game

Fredo - His usual busy self.  Not too much to do in front of goal, but still got a goal.

Goldson & Katic - Solid pairing....think they are gonna work well together.  Not overly troubled, but cleared the lines well when they had to.  Kept Osijek to a few 1/2 chances.

The thing that has struck me over the last couple of games, is that we appear to be setting up "hard to beat" - content keeping the ball in defense/midfield then burst forward.  Tidy at the back & hopefully frustrate the opposition into making rash mistakes etc.  So far, it seems to be working.  Possible that SG is thinking that since we scored plenty goals last season, that's not much of a concern....but if we focus more on not shipping goals, we are more likely to still win 1 or 2 nil,

Passing was a bit loose at times, but shouldn't take much to bring that back into line.

Osijek had a few opportunities & probably had more shots at goal than us.....but most of them were 1/2 chances or split second, snap shots.  The defense in general wasn't particularly concerning - they did look a bit lost at one long throw-in where the bounce took out a couple, then a mistimed jump, resulted in a decent opportunity.

Roll on the next leg.....

Fantastic result and a proper professional defensive job to restrict Osijek to few chances, only really one of which was a good chance.

Like others in the thread I agree that we looked vulnerable in wide areas and I thought Tav and moreso Flanagan were getting roasted at times by their opponents. In the pre-match we were informed that Osijek's main threat would come from their good wide players, so it was a little worrying to see us try to play narrow, thus going 1 on 1 in wide areas too often without Tav and JF getting proper backup. 

Our counter-attacks were poor with the wrong choice made too often, hopefully that is just still a bit of rust as it is still really pre-season for us. This was the first game played at a proper football pace, the previous tie and the friendlies were not played at this pace, nor were the opponents as technically strong as the Croats were.

I'm hoping the players that need game time get it on Sunday in the bounce game and our match-sharpness continues to improve ahead of a very difficult 2 games in 4 days that are hugely important to our whole season. 

With the high profile signings made to date all being to make us harder to score against, it must be especially pleasing for SG to have got 3 clean sheets in the competitive matches to date, and the trio of McGregor, Goldson & Katic looks already like a new Iron Curtain in the making. Here's hoping!

We've looked at Osijeks home record but with an eye on next week,  what about away from hame.......

Most of the results below come from too long ago to be that relevant but there are five matches between this and last season. Of the five, they've only been beaten once.

In 27 matches (H&A) they've only drawn two games.

Thu 14/09/00 UEL Brøndby 1 - 2 Osijek   More info
Thu 09/11/00 UEL Rapid Wien 0 - 2 Osijek   More info
Thu 07/12/00 UEL Slavia Praha 5 - 1 Osijek   More info
Thu 09/08/01 UEL Dinaburg 2 - 1 Osijek   More info
Thu 13/09/01 UEL Gorica 1 - 2 Osijek   More info
Thu 01/11/01 UEL AEK Athens 3 - 2 Osijek   More info
Thu 05/07/12 UEL FC Santa Coloma 0 - 1 Osijek View events More info
Thu 26/07/12 UEL Kalmar 3 - 0 Osijek View events More info
Thu 29/06/17 UEL UE Santa Coloma 0 - 2 Osijek View events More info
Thu 20/07/17 UEL Luzern 2 - 1 Osijek View events More info
Thu 27/07/17 UEL PSV 0 - 1 Osijek View events More info
Thu 24/08/17 UEL Austria Wien 0 - 1 Osijek View events More info
Thu 12/07/18 UEL Petrocub 1 - 1 Osijek  
Edited by buster.

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

Tom was right if he said that they went out on the away goals rule.

It's me that is clueless :D

He actually said on commentary that they went out on PK's.  My previous post was clearly posted in haste.... probably as I am getting ready to fly to Paris on holiday....

23 minutes ago, craig said:

He actually said on commentary that they went out on PK's.  My previous post was clearly posted in haste.... probably as I am getting ready to fly to Paris on holiday....

Oh come on..... “I’m just nipping to Paris on holiday from Bermuda” :facepalm: Not without your “housekeeping staff” your not:laugh:

Enjoy the sights of Paris (shades on and take in “the scenery” if you catch my drift:cool2:).

Edited by cooponthewing

2 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Oh come on..... “I’m just nipping to Paris on holiday from Bermuda” :facepalm: Not without your “housekeeping staff” your not:laugh:

Enjoy the sights of Paris (shades on and take in “the scenery” if you catch my drift:cool2:).

I only have enough room for a couple of the housekeeping staff on the jet though coop :thup: - Not all of them could come so some will have to stay behind and keep things ticking over...

2 hours ago, craig said:

Paris on Holiday:eek2: From Humidity to Exhaust fumes. Enjoy I suppose.:)