[FT] Osijek 0 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 18)

51 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Tav looks shaky again without candeias watching his back. Overall a great performance and result.

SG has a real conundrum with Tav. He's skipper so can't be dropped, but he has the more capable defender in Flanagan playing not on his preferred side. If he switches him to his natural position, what becomes of James?

11 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

SG has a real conundrum with Tav. He's skipper so can't be dropped, but he has the more capable defender in Flanagan playing not on his preferred side. If he switches him to his natural position, what becomes of James?

Over the past several years, Tav might well have been our most productive creative outlet.

I think the positive he has brought going forward outweighs the defensive lapses and he's a player we need to have in the team that we have to find a better way of covering for when he goes forward....although you'll never perfect this and we'll occasionally be caught out.

There are certain games where discretion will be better than simply bombing forward.

That said, nowt is sacred and IF a problem gets worse then you gotta take action.

24 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Another annoyance was the long balls from McGregor. I appreciate it was probably needed in this game but I felt like we were just giving away possession, and would prefer us to build out from the back.  

This was probably tactical. Some teams at Osijek’s level will have a far higher chance of getting a goal from winning possession high up the pitch than from breaking us down with the ball. I think Gerrard deserves the benefit of the doubt on that one, a clever move that naive managers before him like Warburton and Caixinha didn’t understand. 

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

This was probably tactical. Some teams at Osijek’s level will have a far higher chance of getting a goal from winning possession high up the pitch than from breaking us down with the ball. I think Gerrard deserves the benefit of the doubt on that one, a clever move that naive managers before him like Warburton and Caixinha didn’t understand. 

Very much so.

There were spells when we simply couldn't move the ball back to middle without losing possession (eg. 3rd quarter). Much better to clear the ball and reorganise the defence. After the spell of pressure subsides, you then can start to build play again as we did going into the last quarter.

Edited by buster.

4 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Good to see Maribor only draw 0-0 to the Georgia outfit. They’re clearly not as good as they can be just now. 

Didn't see much to be worried about in the half hour I saw........ However, it's about getting through ties and to get a better idea of where Maribor at at you'll need to watch how they go about trying to close the deal at home. 

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

As we know they beat PSV home and away last season in the third qualifying round then narrowly lost on away goals to Austria Vienna after a 2-2 aggregate in the play off round. They're no pushovers regardless of what some may seem to think.

A according to Tom Miller they only went out on away goals last year