[FT] Osijek 0 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 18)

I can understand over analysing and navel gazing over defeats but a 1-0 win away in Croatia?

I’ll say ‘great result’ and congratulate the manager and team and leave it at that.

Edited by Unicorn

4 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Only saw the 22 mins highlights from Russian Rangers and it was probably (finally) a revelation to see our new defence shape up against a capable attacking side. From those minutes you could get nightmares because of Tav's defending though. He easily could have cost us 2 or 3 goals ... and yes, I know it is early days yet. Sadly enough, we've all seen it before. I would assume that in a 3-man defence, Flanagan comes over to his natural righ-hand slot and Tav is been given a right wingback role ... perhaps.

Did we ever had a chance after Morelos scored? The Croates pressed and had decent chances right through to the final whistles ...

Tav looks shaky again without candeias watching his back. Overall a great performance and result.

16 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Quite satisfied with that result. 

Coulibaly looks very good, although a bit sluggish still. He was playing as an 8, so it's not a double pivot we have, although he, Jack and Ejaria changed position several times. 

We were comfortable; although we conceded several chances, they were restricted to half-chances that I'd expect McGregor to clear up -- I have missed having a  'keeper that can take the pressure off; I love how he takes his time at the back to give the team time. 

Defensively, we were pretty solid, although our Full-backs had to be bailed out a few times, by Goldson -- who was immense, positionally -- and Kent on the other side. Perhaps our Full-backs were put under more pressure, as it looked like we set-up to block off the centre, allowing them wide. Risky, but it was perhaps more risky to be sloppy in the centre.  

There were a few things that annoyed me:

I was frustrated with Kent. Yes, he covered very well -- which is excellent -- but his attacking play was naive; perhaps it's just because it was his first game. I felt he was too eager to take players on, and I lost count of the number of times he was robbed. 

I though Ejaria was sloppy in possession.That's fine in the final-third, but not when he's swapped position with Jack at the base of the midfield-three. We conceded a very dangerous break when he failed to shield the ball. He looks like a youngster, but he also looks to have the talent. Hopefully he improves. (We looked more solid when McCorie replaced him, but I doubt that will be needed in most matches.)

I was annoyed with Murphy; his positioning is poor. We were comfortable with the ball at the back, but we couldn't progress the ball. We needed someone in the half-space. I recall Coulibaly waiting ages to thread a ball into the half-space, to progress the ball forward between the lines, and the chance had passed when Murphy finally moved. 

Our lack of chance-creation in open play is a worry. But, perhaps it's just early season rustiness, which will be ironed-out. 

progress made; still plenty more to be improved upon. And away goal and a clean sheet. I'm satisfied. 

Rousseau , my biggest gripe was our inability to swop play to the wide areas quickly , especially in the first half , Kent had acres of room but was never found .

This is very encouraging from a team this early in its development , hopefully  big Sadiq can add something up top as ironically thats where our problems lie , I can also see Windass moving on this window .

We should have done better when we got 3 on 2 but Murphy seemed to get illusions of grandeur and tried to go it alone.

The chance that they had when the winger crossed the ball and the striker put it past the post was a full chance for me and not a half chance.

Frankie said the striker was half decent well thankfully this was on his half crap side,:D

16 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I think the way we played tended to minimise our attacking options as, especially after the early goal, we sat very deep at times so didn't get players (or the ball) forward as quickly as we maybe would otherwise.

Like you I thought the full backs tucked in centrally just a bit too much at times but it was fairly effective in terms of crowding out their big striker who was half-decent. 

Generally we did OK but too many players were guilty of switching off and making daft errors which were lucky not to be punished.  Plenty room for improvement and given the stage of the season, we have to include that in our analysis.

I agree with that, but felt when we did have possession at the back there was no player occupying the half-space, or channel in between the lines, meaning we couldn't progress the ball forward to create chances. Murphy should've been coming off the wing to provide a pass, or a central-wide midfield player needed to push up, or even Morelos peeling off to offer a pass -- which happened a couple of times to good effect, to be fair. Hopefully it will come with time. 

Another annoyance was the long balls from McGregor. I appreciate it was probably needed in this game but I felt like we were just giving away possession, and would prefer us to build out from the back.  

17 minutes ago, rbr said:

Rousseau , my biggest gripe was our inability to swop play to the wide areas quickly , especially in the first half , Kent had acres of room but was never found .

This is very encouraging from a team this early in its development , hopefully  big Sadiq can add something up top as ironically thats where our problems lie , I can also see Windass moving on this window .

My biggest gripe was just prior to those. I think we need to be better at progressing the ball at one side -- I felt we never quite penetrated enough -- which would suck them over, which would then offer good opportunities to switch play like you say. Those situations to switch play did occur, almost accidentally, but we were too slow to capitalise.

last night was the first time since the year 2000 that the home side failed to score a goal at home in Europe , lol , its not difficult bud
I easnt sure if it was v us by many teams or that team in europe. Or some wider scotish record.

My fault i get it now.

4 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:
9 hours ago, pete said:
Osijek had scored at home in every game they played since 2000 I have read.

Cheers thats a goid record to break.

Since 2000 In Europe

Thu 28/09/00 UEL Osijek 0 - 0 Brøndby   More info
Thu 26/10/00 UEL Osijek 2 - 1 Rapid Wien   More info
Thu 23/11/00 UEL Osijek 2 - 0 Slavia Praha   More info
Thu 23/08/01 UEL Osijek 1 - 0 Dinaburg   More info
Thu 27/09/01 UEL Osijek 1 - 0 Gorica   More info
Thu 18/10/01 UEL Osijek 1 - 2 AEK Athens   More info
Thu 12/07/12 UEL Osijek 3 - 1 FC Santa Coloma View events More info
Thu 19/07/12 UEL Osijek 1 - 3 Kalmar View events More info
Thu 06/07/17 UEL Osijek 4 - 0 UE Santa Coloma View events More info
Thu 13/07/17 UEL Osijek 2 - 0 Luzern View events More info
Thu 03/08/17 UEL Osijek 1 - 0 PSV View events More info
Thu 17/08/17 UEL Osijek 1 - 2 Austria Wien View events More info
Thu 19/07/18 UEL Osijek 2 - 1 Petrocub View events More info
Thu 26/07/18 UEL Osijek 0 - 1 Rangers  

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

I think the way we played tended to minimise our attacking options as, especially after the early goal, we sat very deep at times so didn't get players (or the ball) forward as quickly as we maybe would otherwise.

Like you I thought the full backs tucked in centrally just a bit too much at times but it was fairly effective in terms of crowding out their big striker who was half-decent. 

Generally we did OK but too many players were guilty of switching off and making daft errors which were lucky not to be punished.  Plenty room for improvement and given the stage of the season, we have to include that in our analysis.

This was the type of game that was likely to expose any lack of cohesiveness (several new players) wrt to moving the ball from back to front and retaining possession. Osijek had spells where they successfully pinned us in but couldn't capitalise. It wasn't disimilar against Petrocub but there they breached the Molovan defence.

But we weathered the storm and got the result which is very encouraging.

Two very different games coming up.

- The second leg where we have to balance looking for goals with the important need to prevent away goals  

- An away match at Aberdeen which will probably be a bit of a battle.

Edited by buster.