UEFA Europa League Draw: Villarreal, Rapid Vienna, Spartak Moscow

You'd fancy us against Spartak at home, away might be different. Likewise Vienna I'd expect to be on a similar level to us. Villareal should horse us if they're taking the tournament in any way seriously though. 

I'm just delighted we're even in this draw, let's not lose sight of that. 

31 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

I don't 100% agree with that.  The germans will beat Celtic IMO and Salzburg are a tough nut.  They got wins against Marseille, Lazio, Dortmund, Real Sociedad last season in the Europa League and only just lost out in the semi final against Marseille.

I'm also hoping that Rosenberg will be out for revenge!

A favourable draw I would say. Villarreal and Vienna were two of the easier teams I their pots. Spartak Moscow not so much but there were plenty tougher teams in that pot. 

I can certainly see us getting a few wins. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I think it's time to put the EL in proper context. Financially and for the morale of the club it was important to qualify for the group stage. Now however I think the domestic league has to be our primary focus and the EL is for enjoyment only.

I pretty much think so too. The money from it was essential and has now been captured. Our greatest priority moving on has to be winning the league then a crack at the tens of millions on offer in the CL.

Edited by JFK-1

47 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

You'd fancy us against Spartak at home, away might be different. Likewise Vienna I'd expect to be on a similar level to us. Villareal should horse us if they're taking the tournament in any way seriously though. 

I'm just delighted we're even in this draw, let's not lose sight of that. 

Just about my thinking on it. Which gives us a chance of racking up some tidy bonuses for wins and a chance of a second place finish to reach the first knockout round.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Not the glamorous draw I was hoping for, and with trips to Russia and Villareal, perhaps not the draws that the guys and gals in the travel club were hoping for.

When we played Villarreal in the CL, some fourteen years ago, the wife and I went over for five days. We stayed in Peniscola, a wonderful coastal town. The coast is called the Orange Blossom Coast and is most dramatic. It was pretty much undiscovered back then, and ridiculously inexpensive.