[FT] Livingston 1 - 0 Rangers

On 28/09/2018 at 13:27, Dave M609 said:

Good post pete, would be happy with that team, I'm with you if barasic needs a rest then he should definetly get it, would rather have him for Thursday.

Has anyone seen the press conference, I snippet just came up on sky sports there, who is the journalist Gerrard is being short with, I really don't think he likes him, its not the first time I don't think.

I think it was Charles Paterson, who does a lot of Scottish football reporting for Sky Sports. Gerrard gave him short shrift last week also when he tried to push him to say something controversial about something he didnt want to talk about.

Really looking forward to this game today. I think it will be another really tough test against a very stubborn, physical side who will try to prevent us from having any space in the final third, and try to win aerial battles up front with long throws and long balls into the box from any opportunity. A side full of confidence from a great point at Tynecastle last week, they will have the belief in front of the tv cameras that they can derail the Ibrox juggernaut.

This will be a different type of test to what we have faced to date, on a plastic pitch with a egomaniac ref who has plenty previous for bad decisions going against us, and frankly it is these type of games that we have pretty much always come unstuck at over the last few years. Just when we think things are going better, along comes a game like this and deflation hits again. Add in the fact we have 2 points out of 9 from our away games to date this season and we certainly shouldn't be over-confident.

Of course, today has every chance of being different. This is a different manager, mostly different players, a different way of playing. Confidence is high, goals are flowing, the passing and moving have been great, and we have every reason to believe that we have a new toughness that should be able to cope with the test outlined above.

This is a very big week with 3 big games before the next international break. Livvy today, Vienna on Thursday and table-topping Hearts at Ibrox next Sunday. 3 wins in a week will see us go into the break with real belief that we can challenge for trophies this season, with the ultimate aim of "55" at the back of everyone's mind. 

The depth of the squad now that we are getting most players back from injury means that no matter who plays, the team has much the same look and feel to it, and a similar quality. I'm not sure anyone, far less Gerrard, knows what our best first 11 is?

My first 11 would be;

McGregor

Tav Katic Goldson Barisic

Dorrans Coulibaly Ejaria

Middleton Morelos Lafferty

You can replace Worrell with either CH, Flanagan/Halliday/Wallace provide adequate FB cover, any of Rossiter, Halliday, Jack, McCrorie, can cover the 3 midfield slots, and Candieas, Kent, Grezda provide good cover for the forward places, although we really only have 2 CF's with Sadiq being pretty much written off as inadequate by SG. From all the summer signings this is the only one that has been an absolute dead duck and I dont think many of us would believe you could bring in so many players and all bar one have worked out well.

I'm not sure we will see the above 11 today, as with a big game on Thursday he may not want to risk some players he has in mind for that game in a game like this on this surface, but for the first time in a very long time I am not too bothered with what 11 are picked as they all seem to know what their role is and all are playing pretty well.

A good Rangers team playing well will always beat any other Scottish team (bheasts apart) on paper, lets hope our players also prove this on the park today.

1 hour ago, BEARGER said:

Traffic Scotland

The #M8 remains closed in both directions at Junction 15 (Townhead) due to a Police incident. Unfortunately we can give no indication for it re-opening. Please follow instructions if you are caught up in the area and expect delays to your journey. Thank you

for anyone travelling to match at Livingston today:

buses replace trains between Glasgow central and edinburgh Waverley via shotts (calling at Livingston south)

services from queen st to Livingston north run as normal

please allow extra time if travelling through Glasgow as great Scottish run is on

and M8 is currently closed due to a police incident

-------------McGregor------------

--------Katic-----Goldson-------

Tav-------------------------Barisic

------Coullibaly---Dorans------

--------------Arfield----------------

Kent------------------Middleton

----------Alfredo/Laff------------

3 pts a must to keep the pressure on the Jambos for next week. Any kind of win will do for me and hopefully no injuries

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

Wonder whether we'll go for power or finesse in MF. Given the surface, I'd probably start with Dorrans, Coulibaly and Arfield, and keep Ejaria injury free fro Rapid. Likewise perhaps Lafferty up top (there will be a few long-balls and chips up front for him to lay on for Kent, Candeias and Arfield et al.