Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock

I wasn't talking about you Pete... ;)

Every player has their strengths and weaknesses.  Flanagan is a good defender but ineffective going forward which is fine as he allows us to move to a three when Tav bombs forward.  Tav is good at going forward but less effective defensively.

This is all a juggling act for the manager and it can be difficult when his first choice left back is unavailable (but has hardly been great either - e.g. he was poor at Livi).

8 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I wasn't talking about you Pete... ;)

Every player has their strengths and weaknesses.  Flanagan is a good defender but ineffective going forward which is fine as he allows us to move to a three when Tav bombs forward.  Tav is good at going forward but less effective defensively.

This is all a juggling act for the manager and it can be difficult when his first choice left back is unavailable (but has hardly been great either - e.g. he was poor at Livi).

The problem I have with that Frankie is we become lopsided and easier to play against as other teams know Flanagan is not going to be a danger. It also puts more pressure on Kent as the defenders don't have to reckon on a defender flying up the wing which means Kent has to beat the player with trickery and speed which doesn't always work. 

14 minutes ago, pete said:

The problem I have with that Frankie is we become lopsided and easier to play against as other teams know Flanagan is not going to be a danger. It also puts more pressure on Kent as the defenders don't have to reckon on a defender flying up the wing which means Kent has to beat the player with trickery and speed which doesn't always work. 

Like I say, it's up to the manager to juggle. 

Kent has been pretty good over the piece so it's not that much of an issue given he's been our best player lately.  Perhaps he can attack better/more freely knowing he has reliable cover behind him should he lose the ball.  If someone was over-lapping every time then that cover might not be there.

Of course, there's no doubt it would be more agreeable to have a better balance and that's why the manager signed Barisic and has tentatively tried out Halliday there too. However, there's also no doubt that Flanagan has done absolutely fine at left back and is a reliable option there - if imperfect.

RANGERS: Foderingham; Tavernier, Worrall, Goldson, Flanagan; Halliday, Coulibaly, Arfield; Kent, Candeias, Morelos.

SUBS: McGregor, Jack, Lafferty, Rossiter, Katic, Grezda, Middleton.

Hodson fails to displace Flanagan ... again.

giphy.gif

Edited by ranger_syntax

A lot of the same guys being given a chance to redeem themselves.

Let's hope they do it because SG will get some real stick if tonight doesn't return 3 points.

Attitude, tempo and a final product required.

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Halliday playing concerns me.  As does Katic and Grezda not starting.  

Why is Foderingham starting?

I think we are going back to 4-2-3-1. Kilmarnock also have 5 in the middle of the park.

I guess Fod is getting tonight in place of Sunday to keep him happy.