Solanke to Rangers?

By talkSPORT
23rd November 2018, 12:25 pm
Liverpool starlet Dominic Solanke is set to join Rangers when the transfer window reopens in January.

Solanke, the forward, has failed to make an impact in Jurgen Klopp’s team this season, being reduced to Under-21 football and an appearance on the bench for Liverpool’s EFL Cup defeat by Chelsea in September.

[IMG]

Solanke has been limited to playing youth football for both club and country this season
He was linked with a loan exit from Anfield throughout the summer, with Rangers – managed by Liverpool great Steven Gerrard – allegedly wanting to take the 21-year-old to Ibrox.

And it now appears the Gers have got their man as they are in pole position to sign the youngster on loan when the transfer window reopens in just over a month.

Crystal Palace are among the Premier League clubs who have also taken a look at Solanke, but Rangers look set to wrap up a deal for the former Chelsea player.

I saw an opinion piece last week that predicted SG would be looking for another striker in the upcoming window. And further predicted that the addition of a quality striker to take some of the pressure off Morelos plus perhaps one more player could see us winning the league.

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I saw an opinion piece last week that predicted SG would be looking for another striker in the upcoming window. And further predicted that the addition of a quality striker to take some of the pressure off Morelos plus perhaps one more player could see us winning the league.

You could be right, but in many ways I think this guy can put more of the right type of pressure on Morelos.  There's no one in our team that can come close to Morelos.  He's our talisman and best player.  He knows he's likely to start most games, and if he was inclined to, he could relax because of that.  Fortunately he's a focussed and determined guy, but some strong competition won't do any harm.  Solanke is going to be an excellent player and we all recognise that, so I'm delighted at the prospect of him joining us.

I wonder if the January window will be only be about potentially players coming in.  Let's face it, the way Morelos is performing (with his all round play, and not just his goals), I won't be surprised if the management team receives a bid or two for him.  I'd be gutted if we sold him, but at the right price we can't afford not to.

5 hours ago, Gaffer said:

You could be right, but in many ways I think this guy can put more of the right type of pressure on Morelos.  There's no one in our team that can come close to Morelos.  He's our talisman and best player.  He knows he's likely to start most games, and if he was inclined to, he could relax because of that.  Fortunately he's a focussed and determined guy, but some strong competition won't do any harm.  Solanke is going to be an excellent player and we all recognise that, so I'm delighted at the prospect of him joining us.

I wonder if the January window will be only be about potentially players coming in.  Let's face it, the way Morelos is performing (with his all round play, and not just his goals), I won't be surprised if the management team receives a bid or two for him.  I'd be gutted if we sold him, but at the right price we can't afford not to.

I don't see us selling Morelos in the winter unless a crazeeeee bid comes in.

If we can swap Solanke for Sadiq, we'd improve our options dramatically. 

I'm not convinced Solanke is that great from what I've seen -- although, he is 'playing' at a level where you'd assume he would be fairly comfortable in our League -- but Sadiq is a waste of a jersey. 

With this rumour it is best to wait and see. I'm not really convinced whether he's an answer - from what I have seen over the last 12 months or so. Then again, I haven't seen anything of Kent or Ejaria either ... and they look "decent enough" for us ?

Sadiq remains an enigma, but IMHO mostly because of a) his lack of game time and b) not much real info about his progress. Every time he played he looked decent enough, IF you be fair and judge him by the lack of competitive action and game time he's been given.

As noted before, 4-3-3 with one main and in-form striker can leave you badly exposed if said striker is sold, injured or suspended. The rest of those you have will be out of shape / form  and lack the competitive edge. Hence I'd like to see us 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or the like more often ... no matter whether it will be Lafferty, Sadiq or someone else playing alongside Morelos (who, IMHO, could be even better with a real striker near him).

You would think he absolutely has to go somewhere on loan in January because he's not going to get into that all conquering Liverpool team. He's at such an important stage of his development he has to be playing first team football.

A whole host of English Championship clubs would jump at the chance but we hold an ace card in Stevie G. Liverpool trust him to not just utilise their young loanees but to actually develop them.