[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 Villarreal

McGregor is a better keeper than he was in his first spell.  A lot of comments about his age by the Football Manager Loyal when we resigned him but a lot of keepers peak in their 30’s and it seems McGregor is no exception.

Edited by Unicorn

I didn't see it and couldn't check news of it during the game and in fact it had been over around two and a half house when I first learned the result. Been reading reports around the web and it sounds like McGregor pulled us through. Again.

Would Rangers still be in the Europa League were it not for the performances of goalkeeper Allan McGregor?

Was just looking at the group and though I didn't look at any other groups this has to be one of the tightest if not the tightest and most unpredictable in the tournament. Rapid were bottom of the group at the beginning of the night and top at the end with just one game to go. Remarkable. 

6 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Turns out I was completely wrong.

Morelos worked his socks off and got absolutely no protection from the referee from that big clogger that was marking him.

Gerrard said it: McGregor is world class. He had no right to save those two one-on-ones. I recall Ally McCoist saying after the first, if the lad lifts it over McGregor it's a goal; on the second one-on-one, he lifts it, and McGregor still gets a hand to it!

If there was an asteroid hurtling towards earth, McGregor would palm it away (shamelessly stolen from Bet365 :ninja: ).

I thought Arfield was terrific; his energy and tackling was brilliant. I actually thought Coulibaly was similar, but he was playing deeper so didn't look as good as Arfield.   

The sending off was a joke. It took them half an hour to figure out he'd already booked him. Muppets.

I thought the tactical switch, although enforced, was clever: Villarreal played with a diamond, so they outnumbered us in the middle; again -- he did it in the first game at Aberdeen too -- Gerrard's gone with a 4-3-2 to compact the middle and force them wide. Very well done. 

26 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Gerrard said it: McGregor is world class. He had no right to save those two one-on-ones. I recall Ally McCoist saying after the first, if the lad lifts it over McGregor it's a goal; on the second one-on-one, he lifts it, and McGregor still gets a hand to it!

If there was an asteroid hurtling towards earth, McGregor would palm it away (shamelessly stolen from Bet365 :ninja: ).

I thought Arfield was terrific; his energy and tackling was brilliant. I actually thought Coulibaly was similar, but he was playing deeper so didn't look as good as Arfield.   

The sending off was a joke. It took them half an hour to figure out he'd already booked him. Muppets.

I thought the tactical switch, although enforced, was clever: Villarreal played with a diamond, so they outnumbered us in the middle; again -- he did it in the first game at Aberdeen too -- Gerrard's gone with a 4-3-2 to compact the middle and force them wide. Very well done. 

I have just read this and wrote similar in the Beale thread. I don't think that is Gerrard I think it is Beale,

Just on a funny note. In the game Germany v Holland with Germany 2-1 up and minutes to play, a note was passed on to the field by Ronald Koeman telling Virgil van Dijk to move up to the strikers role. van Dijk scored the equaliser with virtually the last kick on the ball. When Koeman was asked about the note telling van Dijk to move forward he said "I didn't write it I just had a quick look and passed it on. I had nothing to do with the decision but we had to try something."

3 minutes ago, pete said:

I have just read this and wrote similar in the Beale thread. I don't think that is Gerrard I think it is Beale,

Just on a funny note. In the game Germany v Holland with Germany 2-1 up and minutes to play, a note was passed on to the field by Ronald Koeman telling Virgil van Dijk to move up to the strikers role. van Dijk scored the equaliser with virtually the last kick on the ball. When Koeman was asked about the note telling van Dijk to move forward he said "I didn't write it I just had a quick look and passed it on. I had nothing to do with the decision but we had to try something."

I agree, but Gerrard gets the credit!

I remember seeing a picture of the note. Just goes to show how important a manager's back-room staff can be.